Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Premium 6MT (pre-order)
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my GR will be here in a few weeks and I am waffling pretty hard on whether or not I will be driving the vehicle in winter conditions or not. I would swap the OE tires for the Michelin Pilot AS4 which would do plenty well on cold/light snow roads. I have 2 other vehicles that are more than capable for any severe winter conditions. My major concern is driving on salted roads which would eventually cause undercarriage corrosion. Thoughts?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would take it around the block for fun in the snow but I wouldn't daily drive it to work on the free way and in the city. Way too risky with how many cars there are and their unpredictable driving. Just today, either they couldn't stop or didn't want to stop at red lights. And on the freeway, lanes don't exist and some cars still try to do the speed limit weaving in between cars.

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Premium 6MT (pre-order)
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I agree 100%. I have noticed this has gotten worse in the last few years. People are nuts out there on the road....where are you located Daffy?

·
Registered
763 Posts
You asked about underside corrosion. It's very real. My '17 BRZ on its 5th winter looks terrible underneath by Florida and SoCal standards. But here, this is the norm. It has no impact on resale here. And mechanics are used to seized bolts. It shortens a car's lifespan for sure (no 20 year old cars to be seen here) but I've never kept a car long enough to have to replace anything due to corrosion except maybe caliper pins.

Louis (Montreal)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Forgot to mention that we have a homegrown rust-proofing industry here, whereby holes are drilled in strategic places to inject grease or wax into voids between body panels (doors, fenders, quarters, rockers). It's disgusting. And does nothing for the underside. And now that better corrosion-resistant sheet metal is used, it no longer makes much of a difference.

·
Registered
763 Posts
But don't think of using AS4's (or the equally good BF Comp 2 AS) in the snow. These tires are perfect on our cars for northern states and will make sure you get the most out of the non-snow months as they are much better in the wet and slightly better in near-freezing than pure summers. As such they are a great choice. But they still suck dangerously in snow.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm a bit jealous of the snow on the west coast right now. I've lived in CO for 22 years now and this is by far the warmest and driest winter we've had since I've been here. I'm still putting snow tires on my BRZ immediately even though I'll still have my WRX until I stop being lazy and sell it. It's been over 30 years since I've been able to drive a RWD car in the snow - I can't wait! No way I'm not gonna drive it in the snow. We don't use salt on the roads here though, so that's helpful. I grew up in the midwest and I remember what it used to do to cars (to be fair the cars were much crappier then)

·
Registered
2022 Subaru BRZ Sport-tech WRB
83 Posts
I only drive it when the weather is good and streets are clear of snow. But because of the weight distribution, the rear end will slide out if you give too much gas in first and second gear. Just need to be gentle on you right foot. Other than that, it is doing pretty well. The traction control system will save you from sliding all over the place lol.

·
Registered
Awaiting a 2022 GR86 premium in Trueno blue
77 Posts
To me it's a double edged sword,
One one side it'll be fun as hell, little rwd LSD equipped cars are a blast in snowy conditions, and tbh plenty capable enough.

Depending on your area, if the roads are salted, is the other side of the sword, definitely would beat on the underside if it is.

That being said, these cars now have quite a bit of plastic shielding which would block the main underbelly quite a bit, but suspension would be fully exposed and them nuts n bolts won't be happy.

Side note: anyone that DOES drive their cars in salted roads, when it's done in freezing Temps it isn't the worse thing.
It's when the salt/ice combination begins to melt and become slush that is the most damaging.

If you are someone that likes to spray underneath and "wash off" the salt, make sure you do a thorough job and remove all remnants of it!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Good advice, TruBlu. Occasionally I have to travel to an area that salts the roads, and when I return I always take my car to a self-serve carwash and powerwash the underside of the car. I get down on my knees and try to spray at all angles from front to back, and side to side so I hit all the nooks, crannies and crevices to try and remove any salt that is underneath. This is on the VW wagon that I use as my 'travel' car.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Sport Tech 6MT Crystal White Pearl
118 Posts
I had a C3 corvette that was driven for the first few years of its life year round on salted snowy Canadian roads. It then spent the next 36 years of its life in a garage and only driven in the summer. It still ended up with significant damage due to rust that was unseen and just ate away at the cars body mounts and A-pillars. Eventually I sold it due to this damage because it was going to cost approx $25,000 to bring it back to a condition that I already thought the car was in prior to finding this hidden car cancer (rust). I agree that that the steel is better now but at least for me I plan to keep my BRZ for many years so it will not ever see a salted road. I drove it home from the dealership and then once more before I parked it in the garage for the winter. It is hard seeing it sit there and I can’t use it for several months but I have seen what unchecked rust in very hidden areas can do to a beloved car.

·
Registered
GR86 on allocation
479 Posts
Probably won't see much winter use for me in Oregon but I've never shied away from it. Never had a "toy" car.

Keeping it super clean will definitely help. I'd wager the day before a storm is the worst as they spray the roads and it's not diluted with anything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts