Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like it's popped up as an option that wasn't originally on the list. What's everyone's thoughts on this? Guys that have owned the previous Gen, does the car really need one? Does anyone that's ordered know if it's port installed or dealer installed? If it's port installed I might opt for it. If it's dealer installed I'd rather hold off and do it myself, instead of the dealer tearing apart the interior...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don’t believe it’s dealer installed. The car I was allocated said that it had that option on it and the last wrx I got had that option too. With the wrx it showed up to the lot with it on already. I could totally e wrong though.

·
Registered
22 BRZ
103 Posts
Looks like it's popped up as an option that wasn't originally on the list. What's everyone's thoughts on this? Guys that have owned the previous Gen, does the car really need one? Does anyone that's ordered know if it's port installed or dealer installed? If it's port installed I might opt for it. If it's dealer installed I'd rather hold off and do it myself, instead of the dealer tearing apart the interior...
Its port installed if you add it when ordering the car. The dealer will also be able to install it after the fact. It wasnt available to me when I ordered but I was able to email my dealer after the fact and get it added for port install. I had a 1st gen, does it need it? Hard to say, it'll be up to each individual. Ive had a short throw shifter on an RSX back in the day and enjoyed it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No idea about the BRZ, but on the WRX it was the same deal, port installed. On the WRX the install was a pain since you had to loosen the shift cable and a few other things from under the car including on particular pin that was a pain to get out if you were working on jacks in your garage, but much easier using a lift.

This time around I opted for the port install on the BRZ. The advertised price for port install options includes labor, so factor that in. Dealer installed parts such as the front lip are priced without labor and then your dealer will charge you based on the time/book time to install. So I took the short shifter (don't want to deal with the install later) but skipped the front lip since it's pretty easy to install myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts