Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious what impressions owners are having with the Steering Responsive Headlights.
I like the idea of them but it only comes with the 6AT version.
Anyone try them on a twisty unlit road with hairpin corners?
Here's a Subaru vid that doesn't really help much, it would be in the eye of the beholder to say yeah or nay.

Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
Are we sure its only on automatics? The subaru website as well as my order sheet for my limited trim with manual lists it as standard equipment. Dont have the car yet to confirm.

Registered
The Steering Responsive Headlights come on a manual transmission. They are great so far. The right headlight turns right when going around a curve in the road to the right and the opposite is true for a left curve. It used the left headlight. My only concern is will they stop working in only a few years. As long as I can set them straight after the motor break, it will be okay.
The High Beam Assist feature in the video is ONLY for automatic transmission cars.

Registered
22 BRZ
They're definitely on the manuals. Make sure it's turned on in the settings, when you start up in the dark the headlights will go through a cycle and you can see them moving if you're pointed at a wall. It's by no means necessary but a cool extra feature.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only offered on the limited -Bastards!
I ordered premium to get 17" wheels and pass on the fake leather seating.

Dunno, maybe a swap of headlights can be done and the harness allows, but I doubt it. I love night driving and unlit tight corners are where it would really matter.

Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
First time I tried them I kept getting distracted watching the lights instead of the road. I like the novelty but also glad I can turn the feature off.
Thats how I feel about the high beam assist. What a dumb feature. My wifes car has them and I had to turn it off. Who actually uses high beams that often..? Ours would turn off and on everytime we would pass an oncoming vehicle and in conditions that absolutely did not need them to be used. That will get turned off in the BRZ for sure.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your input folks; I won't cry over steering lights, I don't care for high beam assist cuz it's distracting.

Registered
Awaiting a 2022 GR86 premium in Trueno blue
The last car I had was an '11 LS460 with the adaptive headlights.
Up until I sold it a month ago, they were still working flawlessly.

That being said, I'm hoping just because it has become more of a normal feature and not just on luxury cars, they've also learned how to make them cheaper to produce yet still being very robust in long term durability.

Registered
I think the worry about the headlights 'breaking' after a while are probably unfounded. The headlight motors on my '85 MR2 have never had any issues, and still work like new to this day. Sure, a different type of motor, but probably under just as much or more stress than these adaptive headlight motors.

Registered
Awaiting a 2022 GR86 premium in Trueno blue
Actually, 1 thing I used to do was if it was subzero Temps (celsius) out, I shut the adaptive lighting off. This was probably just an over cautious thing to do but I figured, it would prevent any chance the linkages or whatever sorcery the motors moved have a heightened chance to break from being frozen.
I did the same thing with my auto folding mirrors.

Registered
I have only driven my BRZ Sport tech 6MT (Limited for our friends in the states) after dark before I parked it for the winter. It seems silly to get excited about headlights but I have never driven a car with headlights this good. Not just the light output which is fantastic but the adaptive is super cool. I live in the country with several twisty roads between the nearest town and my house. I was having a blast ripping through the corners and seeing everything.

Registered
Toyota Corolla Hatchback 2019
They come on the higher trim of both the auto and manual version of the car. I love it! Great when driving twisty roads at night. There is also an option to turn it off I think. Like a lot of people said, just 1 more thing that may malfunction down the line but its easy to replace a motor in the headlight lol.

Registered
Curious what impressions owners are having with the Steering Responsive Headlights.
I like the idea of them but it only comes with the 6AT version.
Anyone try them on a twisty unlit road with hairpin corners?
Here's a Subaru vid that doesn't really help much, it would be in the eye of the beholder to say yeah or nay.
I have the Manual Limited and my has the Steering Responsive Headlights. I think your thinking about the Auto High Beam on and Off for Automatics only as you have to have Eyesight to have that feature and eyesight isn't on manuals. But as for as the SRH go I love them for going around corners. When you do small turns of the wheel like switching lanes you really don't notice it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In the USA the BRZ lesser model, they call it "Premium" does not come with or provide an upgrade option to the Steering Headlights coming standard with the "Limited".
I went Premium primarily to have smaller wheels and cloth seating while cost was not important I got robbed of the headlight option I would otherwise have.
From what's being said if them the steering headlights is a good thing and nothing bad.

Registered
In the USA the BRZ lesser model, they call it "Premium" does not come with or provide an upgrade option to the Steering Headlights coming standard with the "Limited".
I went Premium primarily to have smaller wheels and cloth seating while cost was not important I got robbed of the headlight option I would otherwise have.
From what's being said if them the steering headlights is a good thing and nothing bad.
I think the SRH are awesome but not a major feature to be missed if you dont already have it.

I didn't know the base model didn't come with it. I thought that was a standard feature on all models.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think the SRH are awesome but not a major feature to be missed if you dont already have it.

I didn't know the base model didn't come with it. I thought that was a standard feature on all models.
Bastards!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts