Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for other AT owners. Is there any point to using 'Sport' mode when shifting 'manually' other than having it turn on/increase the fake engine noise? I know that it will change the shift points if you are letting it shift for itself, but I use the manual mode 100% of the time, so I'm choosing my own shift points.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Question for other AT owners. Is there any point to using 'Sport' mode when shifting 'manually' other than having it turn on/increase the fake engine noise? I know that it will change the shift points if you are letting it shift for itself, but I use the manual mode 100% of the time, so I'm choosing my own shift points.
No

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
That's a good question, which essentially is whether or not Sport Mode does anything other than adjust the automatic shift points and increase fake engine noise. I guess I assumed it may alter throttle response, but there's nothing in the owner's manual to indicate that's the case.

I do know you have to pull the gear selector over to Manual Mode in order for the transmission to hold your manual shifts, regardless of driving mode. If you leave it in D, it will revert back to automatic.

I use Sport Mode in D and let it shift automatically for driving in heavy traffic where I need to maneuver briskly and keep all of my attention on the traffic. I will occasionally override the Sport Mode gear selection, for example I will paddle upshift when it's clear ahead so it stops holding a lower gear in an effort to be ready for a burst of acceleration. So for me, I would rather be in Sport Mode in D and override the transmission's selection with the paddles vs. being in Normal Mode in D and doing the same.

I neat little nugget in the owner's manual: "You can perform a skip-shift (for example, from 4th to 2nd) by operating the shift paddle twice in rapid succession."

The fake engine noise doesn't intrude on my driving Zen. I had it turned off in software at the dealer before I even left the lot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts