Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Premium Steel MT
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks - since I don't have my car and have never driven one, I'm curious about the experience of those who have re: the sound at highway speeds. From some of the reports I've read, it's loud enough to block out the audio. I'm not talking about the exhaust note, but noise due to the absence of [any?] soundproofing. If it's a problem, I'm thinking of asking the dealer to install Dynamat or equivalent but it would help to know where most of the noise comes from. The doors is obvious but what about the floors? The tunnel? Any experience or wisdom to share? Thanks!

PS BTW, after being disgusted by the so-called "market adjustments" here in the Portland OR area, which ranged from $2K to $6K, a friend put me onto a Colorado dealer who doesn't have such a ripoff philosophy and was more than happy to sell at MSRP. My friend will deliver the car to me. This week he alerted me that his allocation included what I want - Steel Premium MT and it's on the water now, so ... Fingers crossed but lady luck sure smiled. Also, my observation is the vast majority of GRs being built are automatics, so MT's are thin on the ground nationwide, forget about finding a Steel one.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Yes, you certainly need to turn up the audio real high :) It's annoying for sure. Worse if the rear seats are down. So try to get some sound proofing around the rear wheel wells. Along with the doors, that is supposedly one of the more accessible spots. Everywhere else is more work/time/money. I would have a car audio shop do it. Doubtful the dealer would even know how.

Tell your buddy there's an extra beer in it for him if he takes backroads and avoids the cruise control!

Steel is really nice. But be prepared for the blue in that silver :) I swear it can look light blue in some light!

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Premium Steel MT
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lou - thanks, good tips! Since I'm planning on keeping the back seats down [assuming my dog fits!] that's a crucial morsel of info. Re: my buddy: he's a lead foot so actually I'm more concerned about the initial 500 miles or so but not freaking out. Re: the color. Yeah, I saw that observation about the blue. Since I wasn't willing to risk "arrest me" red, I went with the more subtle. And, of course, here in Portland, sun is a periodic and quite variable phenomenon. Time will tell. Thanks again.

·
Registered
823 Posts
You're not having any quiet conversations with a passenger or talking on the phone at 80. I sometimes wear earplugs on extended trips so that I can put the music high enough to cover the road/wind/engine noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You're not having any quiet conversations with a passenger or talking on the phone at 80. I sometimes wear earplugs on extended trips so that I can put the music high enough to cover the road/wind/engine noise.
(should specify not driving a GR but a standard 86, this could make a decent difference but I would think they would be comparable. Ignore anything that doesn’t make sense for the GR)
Man your setup must be really loud. Even when I had worse/harder tires, I could both have a little above average talking volume and also take calls. Getting newer tires that were a lower tread wear helped to cut noise a lot though. Also, sound deadening the roof helps cut a good amount of road noise. I can do about 105 and have my volume not terribly high, no worse than any other vehicle I have driven in that isn’t designed for low/no road noise. Plugging the inside exhaust note tube helps keep engine noise down inside.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Folks - since I don't have my car and have never driven one, I'm curious about the experience of those who have re: the sound at highway speeds. From some of the reports I've read, it's loud enough to block out the audio. I'm not talking about the exhaust note, but noise due to the absence of [any?] soundproofing. If it's a problem, I'm thinking of asking the dealer to install Dynamat or equivalent but it would help to know where most of the noise comes from. The doors is obvious but what about the floors? The tunnel? Any experience or wisdom to share? Thanks!
As someone who has installed multiple different products in the past to make my cars quieter, I would say the things I have learned are:

1. Managing expectations is huge. The R&D budgets solely for NVH in automobiles is insane, and there is NO magic product that can transform a more mainstream car or truck into a luxury-like experience. That said, many of the products out there are very effective at specific tasks.

2. Dynamat and similar products are advertised as "sound proofing" material, but they do not block noise well in isolation. They ARE very good at reducing resonance and can absolutely change the character of the sound coming into the cabin, noticeably reducing the harshness of road noise in my opinion. Covering only the flat metal surfaces or parts that sound "tinny" accomplishes 95% of what full coverage does. Considering the cost, weight, and time it takes for full coverage, I would not recommend that approach. With the exception of cars that already have minimal noise, I do partial coverage in all my cars.

3. Products that are great at "blocking" sound usually have isolation layer of foam to separate the MLV from the surface of the car. Something like Luxury Liner. In order the work properly though, these have to be installed as full coverage, and they are fairly thick which can result in fitment issues. The last car I tried these on was a 2012 accord. It was my beater road trip car that I didn't mind putting miles on, and I was determined to get the noise levels down. And I did. Road noise was substantially less. And none of the interior panels fit right, which created multiple interior sqeaks. Spent dozens of hours just getting the interior into a tolerable state. And after all of that the wind noise approached what the road noise had been previously according to a dB meter. Was absolutely not worth it in the end.

4. Try door seals. Adding additional door seals can sometimes make a significant difference depending on the car. Super cheap and easy by comparison, and the install is virtually the same for all cars. Z seal along the leading edge, P seal along the bottom, and D seal along the trailing edge or between doors.

·
Registered
GR86 MT Pavement
1,180 Posts
On my first gen the road noise was significantly more noticeable than wind.

Tire type and size makes a difference, I wonder if the tiny sidewalls on the premium make it louder. Also expectations are huge, coming from a subaru it's probably quiet. From a large sedan or truck it's probably crazy loud.
Chip seal( where they throw down gravel on top or tar and have you press it in with your car) makes the road surface very rough and loud.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my first gen the road noise was significantly more noticeable than wind.

Tire type and size makes a difference, I wonder if the tiny sidewalls on the premium make it louder. Also expectations are huge, coming from a subaru it's probably quiet. From a large sedan or truck it's probably crazy loud.
Chip seal( where they throw down gravel on top or tar and have you press it in with your car) makes the road surface very rough and loud.
Hello crew…. I want to buy one!! Actually in the final stages of purchasing…. The road noise is bothersome… I drive a VW Arteon and it’s a pleasure to drive…. Hopefully this isn’t a huge mistake?!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd get the car first then see what you think.
I came from a Mk 5 VW golf GTi and the BRZ is slightly noisier, but I also drive it at higher revs.
On suburban roads noise is not an issue, but if you are doing highway driving then you probably will find it noisy and in need of sound deadening.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
A lot of the noise is the factory Michelins. I can only speak for the Limited / Premium PS4s, but on concrete they are just extremely loud. My car is running a lot quieter on my "winter" Continental DWS06+ all-seasons. When summer returns, the PS4s will go back on and I'm not fully looking forward to that. I want them to wear out and then I replace them with Continental ExtremeContact Sport or Sport 02 (I own the Sport on my other car and it's excellent; need to study reviews of the 02 to see if it's an improvement).

I am definitely planning to address resonances in the trunk floor with Dynamat or equivalent. The doors will have to wait for if / when I do a speaker upgrade.

Reactions: repeet

·
Registered
12 Posts
To piggyback on what @Brofessional said, Dynamat is definitely not “sound proofing,” but does a great job at deadening resonant surfaces.

If you’re at all familiar with drums, think of it as putting a moon gel on a snare drum. It’s not going to make the drum sound like you’re hitting a pillow, but it’s going to get rid of annoying over/undertones, and cut down on the ring duration.

In my experience, you don’t need anywhere near full coverage to accomplish this. Just tap around, see what’s ringing, and then place strategically and symmetrically. I’ve found that getting some on the roof really pays dividends, as it’s basically the largest resonant surface in the car, it’s physically linked to just about everything, and it’s right over your head

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you’re that concerned with interior noise, a sports car might be better as an idea than a reality. FWIW, it’s quieter than my ‘90 Legacy was. Though that’s a low bar to clear by modern standards, it’s not like it was a stripped down racecar.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts