Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if I have a problem. When I change the front/rear fader to full rear, I cannot hear the rear speakers from the driver's position, they are so weak. I hear some residual sound from the front speakers, very little from rear. The volume must be turned up very far to get a normal sound level, even a rear passenger would have trouble hearing them. There is definitely sound coming from the rear speakers, but very low. At the same volume level, when I switch back to the front speakers, I am blown out of the car with high volume. Any other Premium owners experiencing this, or do I have a defective system?

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Limited WRB
336 Posts
Nah that’s about right. The sound system and factory exhaust are the two worst parts of the car, bar none. I’m eventually gonna swap speakers first and see if I can get away with ok sound without an amp. Otherwise we’ll be mounting an amp too.

·
Registered
250 Posts
keep in mind the rear speakers are what 3in drivers? they would have to spend quite a bit to make those loud. you would need something pretty high efficiency and or an oversized tweeter type situation.

basically if you want it louder focus on the front especially the door speakers. you can get more volume easily trading off some of the bass. if you want specifically more sound in the rear. focus on efficiency drivers and power; ensure you have a good crossover so no bass goes through them

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Track Bred Premium MT
1,150 Posts
The sound system blows. I recently upgraded the door and dash speakers. I didn’t even bother upgrading those. One of my problems was that I had to keep turning the volume up and down on each song. Added an amp to solve that. Hearing stuff I’d only heard on my home system

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I bought my equipment from Crutchfield and had a local (San Diego) guy do the install. Once I get my car back from the dealer, he’ll come back to install sound deadening and fine-tune everything

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
@Stephenm Did you equipment go in the car without cutting, that is did the speakers drop in? Have you already posted the equipment you bought from Crutchfield?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Yes. The equipment went in without any cutting.
Audio Control ACM-1.300 mono subwoofer amp,
Soundskins Pro sound deadening material, Pioneer GM-DX874 4-channel car amplifier,
Morel Maximo Ultra 603 MKII 3-way component speakers. Did not use the grills that came with the speakers.

·
Registered
500 Posts
@Stephenm Did you equipment go in the car without cutting, that is did the speakers drop in? Have you already posted the equipment you bought from Crutchfield?
I’ve been thinking about buying the OEM+ speakers without the subwoofer which will be available next month.

It’s just hard finding a reputable in decent installer here in West Los Angeles.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I’ve been thinking about buying the OEM+ speakers without the subwoofer which will be available next month.

It’s just hard finding a reputable in decent installer here in West Los Angeles.
Cool. And uncool. I would think LA is Ground Zero for awesome car audio shops.

·
Registered
185 Posts
What is the sound difference worth the price? Are you happy with it?
It is better. The highs seem crisper and the lows don't distort as bad. For just the speaker kit, it is a little high-priced. I am willing to pay it though, to get plug-and-play for everything and knowing they picked these speakers to work with their sub. I think the true improvement will come with the amplifier and DSP that comes with the subwoofer. Then the sound will be filtered correctly. I expect to see the sub on their site any day now.
Check out my video where I install the speakers and then do a before and after comparison with the stock and OEM+ speakers.

·
Registered
500 Posts
It is better. The highs seem crisper and the lows don't distort as bad. For just the speaker kit, it is a little high-priced. I am willing to pay it though, to get plug-and-play for everything and knowing they picked these speakers to work with their sub. I think the true improvement will come with the amplifier and DSP that comes with the subwoofer. Then the sound will be filtered correctly. I expect to see the sub on their site any day now.
Check out my video where I install the speakers and then do a before and after comparison with the stock and OEM+ speakers.
It’s easy putting the locking mechanism back in right? I feel I could do this but I’m just worried about the door locking mechanism.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It’s easy putting the locking mechanism back in right? I feel I could do this but I’m just worried about the door locking mechanism.
It’s super easy. The black and white plastic cable tips snap out using just your fingers. You then turn them 90 degrees to the door cover and lift upwards. This will remove the ball tip of the cable out of its saddle. The ball tips are not clipped in their saddle, but held there by their angle. It only take 4 seconds to remove or replace them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts