Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! Figured it was a good time to join the forum and get put in my first post since I was really dead set on getting my first manual only to get cucked by my own vacation.

Here's the story on my journey so far...
Back in May I had contacted my dealership about wanting to get the GR86 and fortunately they had gotten an allocation for a Pavement Grey Premium MT!
Automotive parking light Tire Car Personal computer Computer

Excited I had put in the deposit for one and had waited patiently for it get built. During that time, the dealer had given me frequent updates on the car letting me know how long before it'd get to the next step.
Computer Rectangle Font Personal computer Screenshot

This went on until the end of July when finally, they told me that the car was arriving at the dealership. I was pretty excited...except until I realized that it'd basically interfere with the time that I'd be going on vacation to Canada..meaning that I wouldn't be there to be able to pick it up. Their policy stated that they only kept cars in the lot for 48 hours for someone who puts in a deposit before giving it to the next person so I was terrified.

Ended up calling them to discuss this only to end up being told that I either purchase the car upfront or just hope that it doesn't get sold right away.

Well unfortunately, as soon as I told them that it'd likely come during the START of my vacation, they ended up completely taking my name off of the car and gave it to someone else. Once I got back from vacation, I asked how far it'd be before I'd get another car and they told me that they put me 6th on a waitlist behind 5 other people.

I felt a bit insulted and ended up just getting my deposit back and contacted 3 other dealerships since I was pretty annoyed. So yeah..back to the drawing board. Gotta wait another 4-6 months for the next chance at another GR86. So close yet so far 馃槗

What terrible interactions have you all had with dealerships? Anything you wanna share from your time trying to get ahold of a GR86?

Registered
Premium MT, the only choice!
Mine was due to arrive at the dealer the end of July. My daughter's wedding was on the 16th. So of course the dealer called and said the car was ready on the 14th!馃お

Had a lot going on ,and the dealer was about 70 miles from my home. When I said I probably couldn't make it until the following week,the salesman mentioned that, "everyone is looking at YOUR car,and wants to test drive it." I said,I'll be there tonight, how late are you open?馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could you not had postpone your vacation?
Sadly no, the weekend that car was coming in was the weekend for a convention that my girlfriend was setting up her booth at and wanted to help out at. Since other friends were also coming along, I couldn't really move the dates around.

Would've done so otherwise if it were just me no doubt.

Exactly why I intend to order a Subaru instead of play the Toyota lottery.

But also, if you were 100% going to get it anyway, why wouldn't you just complete the purchase beforehand and pick it up after your vacation (Or have a friend retrieve it so it didn't have to sit at the dealer)?
Sadly they played this game with me the day before I had to fly out for Canada and the dealership was 4 hours away from me. I was still at work so I couldn't leave and that left me in a spot where they were closed by the time I could leave to go do that.

Registered
2023 GR86, Premium M/T Track bRed
This dealership seems to be run by a bunch of fucking idiots, scammers, and rude people to do business with. Although I'm sure you'd rather just have your car, you might be better off not having had dealt with them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This dealership seems to be run by a bunch of fucking idiots, scammers, and rude people to do business with. Although I'm sure you'd rather just have your car, you might be better off not having had dealt with them.
Yeah I backed off after getting put back on the wait list behind 5 other people. The other dealers closer to me have me placed at like 4th place. Not super bad, but it's still another 4-6 month wait to effectively just go through the same shit again

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vacation in Canada? Talk about a mistake to begin with :LOL:

That's unfortunate man... I'd be pissed...

Wait time is way longer than 4 to 6 months now according to others and statistics...
Expect a minimum of 6 months but a maximum of 12... :cry:
Yikes...hopefully it doesn't end up becoming a year or I might just try to look for another car at that point.. 馃槵. I ultimately went for a GR86 because I wanted something new to learn stick on.

Registered
Yikes...hopefully it doesn't end up becoming a year or I might just try to look for another car at that point.. 馃槵. I ultimately went for a GR86 because I wanted something new to learn stick on.
Why not just order a BRZ? Unlike Toyota, Subaru takes actual customer orders. Pick the exact trim, color, trans, and accessories you want. You'll still end up waiting a few months for it, but when it comes in it's yours without any of this 'pick it up now or lose it' bullshit. Seems to be less shady markup games with Subaru dealers too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why not just order a BRZ? Unlike Toyota, Subaru takes actual customer orders. Pick the exact trim, color, trans, and accessories you want. You'll still end up waiting a few months for it, but when it comes in it's yours without any of this 'pick it up now or lose it' bullshit. Seems to be less shady markup games with Subaru dealers too.
So I DO have a contact if I ever get to the point that I just basically give up and get a BRZ but I just prefer the look of the GR86 so much more than the BRZ's front end sadly..I've read that they're essentially the same with the subaru having a softer suspension so I'm really just picking more for aesthetics.

Wish toyota dealers were drastically less shady than subaru but it is what it is.

Registered
That's crazy. I hit the jackpot with my dealership. My car arrived 7/5 and because I'm overseas it was going to take a while to coordinate my POA to sign and the detailer to come pick it up. My sales persons response was "just as long as its before the 31st." He said that someone came in, wanted to buy, and when refused, ordered the same spec.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's crazy. I hit the jackpot with my dealership. My car arrived 7/5 and because I'm overseas it was going to take a while to coordinate my POA to sign and the detailer to come pick it up. My sales persons response was "just as long as its before the 31st." He said that someone came in, wanted to buy, and when refused, ordered the same spec.
Dam, I wish that were the case for mine..they took my name off of it immediately instead of waiting for me to return. "Policy" and all that.

Registered
Sadly no, the weekend that car was coming in was the weekend for a convention that my girlfriend was setting up her booth at and wanted to help out at. Since other friends were also coming along, I couldn't really move the dates around.

Would've done so otherwise if it were just me no doubt.

Sadly they played this game with me the day before I had to fly out for Canada and the dealership was 4 hours away from me. I was still at work so I couldn't leave and that left me in a spot where they were closed by the time I could leave to go do that.
That's really unfortunate.

Dam, I wish that were the case for mine..they took my name off of it immediately instead of waiting for me to return. "Policy" and all that.
And yeah, this is how Toyota is as far as I know. If you're next but can't get you car for some reason, you forfeit not only the car but your place in line. I think it's because there's so many people who want this car they will just move on.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's really unfortunate.

And yeah, this is how Toyota is as far as I know. If you're next but can't get you car for some reason, you forfeit not only the car but your place in line. I think it's because there's so many people who want this car they will just move on.
Yup, unlucky. But it's all good, I found like 3 other dealerships to look at that also have my deposit so hoping for some good news from them in the near future.

Registered
Actually, a dealer by dealer, salesman by salesman thing. You certainly can rip Toyota for their somewhat strange allocation/ordering process (especially since they seem to be the only manufacturer that does it that way), but pretty sure that once a dealer gets an allocation, it is pretty much in the dealer's hand as to how they deal with the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts