Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Track Bred Premium MT
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m considering getting a short shifter for my car. Are those of you who have installed one happy with it? Does it make a noticeable difference to your driving experience?

·
Registered
BRZ S (Limited) Manual Silver
335 Posts
I’m considering getting a short shifter for my car. Are those of you who have installed one happy with it? Does it make a noticeable difference to your driving experience?
I’ve got the OEM Subaru one so I’m assuming the Toyota OEM one is the same kit. It really doesn’t make a big difference to the throw length…but it does seem to improve the shift quality and seems to tighten up the gate. I’ve also got an STI gear knob on mine which makes the gear lever a little bit longer. There are probably AM ones that shorten the throws a bit more aggressively.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Bred Base MT
87 Posts
I have the billetworkz short shifter on mine which is a 30% reduction in throw from stock.
It did make the shifts more stiffer and noticeably shorter throw. I've gotten used to it now so it doesn't feel that short, but driving right after install I was blown away how long the throws were and loose feeling the stock shifter feels.

I also got the weighted 500g fusion knob from billetworkz in alcantara. Was pretty spendy, overall it made a big difference in feel. Wasn't too bad to install, although I will say that the shift linkage is held by a c-clip which for me, broke off while I was driving the car. I ended up not being able to shift into 1st or 2nd and the shifter was very loose feeling.

I had to take the car apart and reinstall the cclip. Definitely get quality snap ring pliers as that c-clip was the hardest part for me. Knowing what I know now, I don't think you need to lift the car and can do it all from the top, but it helps to lift the car so you can see and move the rubber boot out the way.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s the one I’m looking at. I currently have the GR shift knob. May change that out as well. I’ve watched a couple install videos. Not something I would attempt. I’d pay a shop. Trying to install the GrimmSpeed license plate relocate. Having a little trouble there too.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Bred Base MT
87 Posts
That’s the one I’m looking at. I currently have the GR shift knob. May change that out as well. I’ve watched a couple install videos. Not something I would attempt. I’d pay a shop. Trying to install the GrimmSpeed license plate relocate. Having a little trouble there too.
Its really not that hard at all, the c-clip caused me a lot of grief since my snap ring pliers were garbage and I kept dropping the cclip so I had to look around with a flash light to find it since I didn't jack up the car the second time around.

There are several video clips on youtube that go over the tutorials really well. Just take your time. Again the c-clip for me was the most hardest part and if you have the right tools then it should be easy. It is a lot of easy steps.

If you're able to jack the car up, then it should be very straight forward.
I was afraid of doing it too, but it turned out ok. I did spend more time than what other people would spend doing it though, but I took my sweet time.

The Fusion shift knob with the alcantara feels nice, but I think the leather would have been better since it matches the steering wheel. I wanted something different from stock though. I do not know the durability of the alcantara shiftknob over time.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in am apartment, and park in a garage. Not really conducive to jacking the car up. I had to buy some tools for the license plate relocation that I most likely won’t use again, and really don’t want to have to buy more

·
Registered
58 Posts
Theres another thread about the USA quick shifter that seems much cheaper but less involved.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Premium Steel MT
33 Posts
Another thread [perhaps on another group] said the trick for doing it from the top was a pair of 90 degree snap ring pliers; makes sense. I saw the video and that snap ring was the one thing that looked dicey. On the GrimmSpeed relocation item: I don't like the idea that when you remove the piece to insert the bolt into the tow hook location those pieces have to remain off. Bad look IMO. Since my dealer did everything I asked, including not drilling the holes for the front plate, I'm going to risk running without it and, if ever stopped, say "Officer, I'm an old guy and this car was bought in Colorado which doesn't require a front plate, so ...". But, your mileage may vary, as always. [And my GR86 isn't arrest me redI

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another thread [perhaps on another group] said the trick for doing it from the top was a pair of 90 degree snap ring pliers; makes sense. I saw the video and that snap ring was the one thing that looked dicey. On the GrimmSpeed relocation item: I don't like the idea that when you remove the piece to insert the bolt into the tow hook location those pieces have to remain off. Bad look IMO. Since my dealer did everything I asked, including not drilling the holes for the front plate, I'm going to risk running without it and, if ever stopped, say "Officer, I'm an old guy and this car was bought in Colorado which doesn't require a front plate, so ...". But, your mileage may vary, as always. [And my GR86 isn't arrest me redI
I saw that about the pieces being off. The solution that was given is if you adjust the mounting plate, you can pretty much cover the opening

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I pulled the trigger on the Billetworkz. Bought a shift knob too, incase the GR one I have doesn’t fit. Went with some color to break up all the black in the cabin.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I pulled the trigger on the Billetworkz. Bought a shift knob too, incase the GR one I have doesn’t fit. Went with some color to break up all the black in the cabin.
Just did my install this weekend and it ended up being pretty easy and went really smooth. Make sure you have a good set of panel removal tools, and a good set of snap ring pliers. I bought a cheap amazon set but the tips were too big to fit into the hole so I had to grab a $35 pair at the store. People struggle with getting the boot off to free up the linkage, but it's really easy to remove even with just your fingers. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got my Billetworkz short shifter and shift knob installed. What a difference it makes.
Customer service at Billetworkz is great too.
I emailed them a couple times on the weekend, and the owner emailed me right back.
Had to break up all the black

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts