Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to fit the Schroth Quickfit into the car with OEM seats. Has anyone done this before and if yes, which quick fit did you buy since they don't have the belts tested on our cars?

· Registered
2023 Toyota GR86 6mt, Trueno Blue
73 Posts
If you are getting a 4 point harness setup (quickfit), look at a Necksgen or Simpson Hybrid head/neck restraint system - Simpson Performance

In a spin, your body will be immobilized and your head will continue rotating. The horseshoe fosm collar won't prevent the rotation.

23mph into a wall was enough to cause permanent damage. quickfit + foam collar. 3/4 spin hit the barrier at left rear of the car. I woke up in the ambulance about an hour later.

ymmv

· Registered
2022 Subaru BRZ magnetite grey lmited MT
448 Posts
I'd say at least get a 5 points harness, you can submarine with 4 points harness in case of an impact. When it comes with safety gears, I would never cheap out. Cus that can mean your life.

Ps: I don't think the oem seat has a harness cutout, you can try to fit it under the headrest. But you're risking the harness sliping off thr headrest, at that point you might as well having the factory seat belt than useless 4 points harness.

· Registered
22 GR86 Base, 6MT, Steel
27 Posts
I'd say at least get a 5 points harness, you can submarine with 4 points harness in case of an impact. When it comes with safety gears, I would never cheap out. Cus that can mean your life.

Ps: I don't think the oem seat has a harness cutout, you can try to fit it under the headrest. But you're risking the harness sliping off thr headrest, at that point you might as well having the factory seat belt than useless 4 points harness.
No, please do not run 5 point harnesses with stock seats. 1. there are no cutouts for shoulder belts which are required to keep the proper shoulder belt angle and there are no cutouts for a sub belt, running it over the front of the seat will not allow the 5 point harness to hold you into the seat. 2. harnesses are made for fixed back seats that do not recline. In an impact, the stock reclining mechanism can fail essentially rendering your harnesses ineffective. The only way you should run a 5 point harness for track use is with a fixed back seat and a roll bar/cage with a harness bar. Most if not all track day groups will not allow 4pt harnesses or harnesses in general with stock seats. At the end of the day it comes down to how much you value your own safety.

· Registered
2022 Subaru BRZ magnetite grey lmited MT
448 Posts
No, please do not run 5 point harnesses with stock seats. 1. there are no cutouts for shoulder belts which are required to keep the proper shoulder belt angle and there are no cutouts for a sub belt, running it over the front of the seat will not allow the 5 point harness to hold you into the seat. 2. harnesses are made for fixed back seats that do not recline. In an impact, the stock reclining mechanism can fail essentially rendering your harnesses ineffective. The only way you should run a 5 point harness for track use is with a fixed back seat and a roll bar/cage with a harness bar. Most if not all track day groups will not allow 4pt harnesses or harnesses in general with stock seats. At the end of the day it comes down to how much you value your own safety.
Yeah totally agree. I think my previous statement is a bit muddy, I was trying to say that run 5 points harness with a fix back bucket seat.

But then op might need to look into a roll cage, etc.

· Registered
2023 Toyota GR86 6mt, Trueno Blue
73 Posts
Yeah totally agree. I think my previous statement is a bit muddy, I was trying to say that run 5 points harness with a fix back bucket seat.

But then op might need to look into a roll cage, etc.
anything other than a quickfit harness requires a cage. There's no might about it. A harness bar isn't a cage.

Keep in mind, harnesses are for restraining your body when going 140 into a wall. The cage keeps the car from wadding up around you as you transition to a stop.

Everyone wants the "racer" look, but deluding yourself that a faux installation will do more than look impressive on social media, is asking for an ambulance ride.

Watching a nascar accident or a pikes peak oops and comparing to whatever hack job you have, it's not the same. Your setup in those situations, you die. Unfortunately, in much less catastrophic situations, you suffer or die.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts