Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The new GR Yaris is receiving some astonishingly positive press right now. People are saying this is going to be one of those legendary cars from this time period based on all of the rally-focused performance improvements Toyota made with this car.

I'm so excited because if GR can accomplish this with what was a FWD hatchback ordinary car, imagine what they can do with the brilliance of the 86 chassis.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The new GR Yaris is receiving some astonishingly positive press right now. People are saying this is going to be one of those legendary cars from this time period based on all of the rally-focused performance improvements Toyota made with this car.

I'm so excited because if GR can accomplish this with what was a FWD hatchback ordinary car, imagine what they can do with the brilliance of the 86 chassis.
Yeah these reviews from Seen Through Glass and Carwow definitely show that. Both call it a drivers car and one for driving enthusiasts.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah these reviews from Seen Through Glass and Carwow definitely show that. Both call it a drivers car and one for driving enthusiasts.

The Seen Through Glass review is my favorite one so far. You can tell he's genuinely excited about it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Here's how the GR Yaris does against the Supra in a 1/4 mile drag race

GR Yaris:
- 13.5 seconds at 169.1 km/h (105.1 mph)

Supra:
- 12.8 seconds at 180.4 km/h (112.1 mph)

·
Registered
206 Posts
A writer at Jalopnik was able to get a GR Yaris as a rental car and reviewed it.

Hype-worthy?

The FK8 is a more complete hot hatch, but the GR will put a bigger smile on your face. That’s really down to the car’s character, or rather multiple characters.

I imagine the hype will eventually die down, just as it did with the Supra and most other sports cars from recent years. Those left with a GR Yaris still have a car that’s a riot to drive, that’ll make them smile day-in and day-out, on any road in any condition.

I love this car. I love the way it goes and the way it makes me feel and what it represents. It’s like a Mercedes CLK GTR, sharing nothing with the mainstream model apart from the name and lights. It’s like the Ferrari 288 GTO, in that it’s a road car that was made to homologate a rally car that never competed, and like the Lexus LFA it shows what Toyota (and Japan) can do when passionate leadership throws resources into something exciting. The GR Yaris is not only a return to form for Toyota’s golden age of affordable performance cars. It’s a testament to Akio Toyoda’s mission on making Toyota’s cars more fun.

The GR deserves all the hype and praise it’s getting. Now I hope it gets the attention of other Japanese manufacturers to come out with exciting, affordable and ruthlessly engineered cars to finish off the era of the internal combustion engine on a high.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Evolve Automotive put the GR Yaris on a dyno run and they recorded 269.4 hp at the crank and 290 lb-ft of torque. Which is little bit more than what Toyota claims it has (257 hp & 265 lb-ft)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts