Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
I thought they would go into more detail but it seems like the new twin’s differences are barely noticeable

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Limited (on the way!)
12 Posts
Interesting note on the cars being potentially underrated in power. Given their 209hp dyno, that would give us 245.9 crank hp assuming 15% powertrain loss. The car seems to be a production car to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So which one would you guys choose between the twins - the 86 or BRZ?

I prefer the styling the more aggressive nature of the 86 in terms of handling but the BRZ looks to be available sooner which is important if I want to have enough time to field in in our local time attack series. That being said, we would modify it so the minute differences will be simple to tune out.

·
Registered
25 Posts

I prefer the styling the more aggressive nature of the 86 in terms of handling but the BRZ looks to be available sooner which is important if I want to have enough time to field in in our local time attack series. That being said, we would modify it so the minute differences will be simple to tune out.
BRZ already ordered for me but we won't see them arrive this year in Australia

·
Registered
7 Posts

I prefer the 86 over the BRZ for a couple of reasons.
1. I like the front face more than the BRZ. The lights seem more soft than the BRZ and it reminds me more of the 90s styling with how everything wasn't so agro and was instead cute - if not that, it's styled as an identity.
2. The color options that Toyota offers are better
3. The options that Toyota offers are more attractive to me than Subaru
4. One thing that attracts me to the 86 is their GR branding. I keep seeing the GR is this and that. I keep being told and reassured that the performance is professional and that this is dedicated. It's like, "you have the tools, it's up to you how you use them".
The STI doesn't attract me whatsoever because they don't advertise it like it's something above all else. Same thing with Nismo. It's kind of like, "Yeah, we have them. It's been here awhile" there's no reassurance.
5. The Subaru dealer in my area just sucks a*. To give you an idea I was speaking with my Geico inspector about my car because I hit a deer and he say's he doesn't like the Subaru dealer either. He knows somebody that works there and isn't close to them in any way and told the sales person in his face, "I would never buy from you. Simply because you're a smug piece of s**. I'd rather go to a Subaru dealer else where." This didn't just apply to that one dealer, but everyone up there. I even had a representative call me about the BRZ and I asked him "will I be able to test drive the damn thing? Because last time I tried to test drive the 2019 model, the guy said it would bring down it's value and blah blah blah."
The representative said that "we've heard and received several complaints about this issue. For awhile Subaru themselves told us not to allow anyone to test drive the Subaru WRX and STI, but we could sell them."
I was like, "That's total horse ****"

·
Registered
401 Posts
1. I like the front face more than the BRZ. The lights seem more soft than the BRZ and it reminds me more of the 90s styling with how everything wasn't so agro and was instead cute - if not that, it's styled as an identity.
4. One thing that attracts me to the 86 is their GR branding. I keep seeing the GR is this and that. I keep being told and reassured that the performance is professional and that this is dedicated. It's like, "you have the tools, it's up to you how you use them".
The STI doesn't attract me whatsoever because they don't advertise it like it's something above all else. Same thing with Nismo. It's kind of like, "Yeah, we have them. It's been here awhile" there's no reassurance.
5. The Subaru dealer in my area just sucks a*. To give you an idea I was speaking with my Geico inspector about my car because I hit a deer and he say's he doesn't like the Subaru dealer either. He knows somebody that works there and isn't close to them in any way and told the sales person in his face, "I would never buy from you. Simply because you're a smug piece of s**. I'd rather go to a Subaru dealer else where." This didn't just apply to that one dealer, but everyone up there. I even had a representative call me about the BRZ and I asked him "will I be able to test drive the damn thing? Because last time I tried to test drive the 2019 model, the guy said it would bring down it's value and blah blah blah."
The representative said that "we've heard and received several complaints about this issue. For awhile Subaru themselves told us not to allow anyone to test drive the Subaru WRX and STI, but we could sell them."
The only option color wise Toyota has over Subaru is Neptune blue, other then that they’re all Subaru colors. Lol

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes-That Neptune Blue reminds me of the Blue on my 2017 Fiat 500 Abarth. That is a compeling reason to go with the GR86. However I really think metallic colors suit the BRZ. I really like the Ice Silver Metallic on the BRZ. Also I discovered in the configurator that heated seats come standard with the base car. That surprised me. So to get the handling up to snuff with the BRZ Limited I would simply switch out the Primacies for somthing more aggressive. I larger infotainment screen from the Limited holds no appeal whats so ever for me. By the way that underdash lighting is not blue. Its actually a soft white but the brochure does not show it that way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I understand many of your points, although they are of course subjective. For example, I think that the ice silver of the BRZ is the best option if you want the car to look elegant, and the WR Blue Pearl with its metal flake shine and vivid tone is better than anything the GR86 can offer imo.

There are also reasons why one could prefer STi over GR (much older and established brand, and STi street cars have been around for much longer, compared to GR street cars that only started in 2019 with the Supra).

Personally, I also like the lights of the BRZ more, as they have that extra edge (literally) over the GR86. I'm still torn on the front bumper though.

Overall, I'm shifting towards BRZ, but as someone living in Europe, there's not much of a choice for me anyway, unless I go the extra mile.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I understand many of your points, although they are of course subjective. For example, I think that the ice silver of the BRZ is the best option if you want the car to look elegant, and the WR Blue Pearl with its metal flake shine and vivid tone is better than anything the GR86 can offer imo.

There are also reasons why one could prefer STi over GR (much older and established brand, and STi street cars have been around for much longer, compared to GR street cars that only started in 2019 with the Supra).

Personally, I also like the lights of the BRZ more, as they have that extra edge (literally) over the GR86. I'm still torn on the front bumper though.

Overall, I'm shifting towards BRZ, but as someone living in Europe, there's not much of a choice for me anyway, unless I go the extra mile.
GR might not have the history STI does but everything they have done so far is amazing

WR Blue Pearl looks awesome but I had Halo Pearl White on my old GT86 (also going to be for the GR86 ) and it looked great, white might be kind of a boring color but it looks so good.

As for the lights, I did like BRZ front lights better but I learned the top part doesn't light up which kind of sucks.

Also is the BRZ going to EU? I thought they said BRZ was only for AU and USA or maybe I'm remembering it wrong lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
GR might not have the history STI does but everything they have done so far is amazing

WR Blue Pearl looks awesome but I had Halo Pearl White on my old GT86 (also going to be for the GR86 ) and it looked great, white might be kind of a boring color but it looks so good.

As for the lights, I did like BRZ front lights better but I learned the top part doesn't light up which kind of sucks.

Also is the BRZ going to EU? I thought they said BRZ was only for AU and USA or maybe I'm remembering it wrong lol
I agree that the white looks great on the GR86, probably my favorite color on that model. Is it different from the white on the BRZ? Because the white on the BRZ seems a bit more beige (less clean) to me.

Regarding the lights, it's not just the BRZ where the upper part doesn't light up. Only the bottom horizontal line is functional on both the GR86 and the BRZ. Total fail imo, aftermarket must come to the rescue (and they probably need something to improve for the facelift in 4 years :p)

And you are correct. The BRZ is not coming to EU, hence I don't have much of a choice anyway :cry:

·
Registered
401 Posts
I agree that the white looks great on the GR86, probably my favorite color on that model. Is it different from the white on the BRZ? Because the white on the BRZ seems a bit more beige (less clean) to me.

Regarding the lights, it's not just the BRZ where the upper part doesn't light up. Only the bottom horizontal line is functional on both the GR86 and the BRZ. Total fail imo, aftermarket must come to the rescue (and they probably need something to improve for the facelift in 4 years :p)

And you are correct. The BRZ is not coming to EU, hence I don't have much of a choice anyway :cry:
They’re the same

·
Registered
8 Posts
Interesting points all-around. Are you guys planning on modifying the cars at all or enjoying them stock? For example, if modifying, things like wheels and tires on the higher trims won't matter too much as they will be swapped out.

·
Registered
263 Posts
You know these are still preproduction cars. Some of them have had slightly different handling characteristics. Even a second drive of the GR86 by Savage Geese revealed more understeer then a Monticello then the original drives. This car was a BRZ Premium automatic with the Michelin Primacy tires. Obviously a production model test would be a little more definitive. Still before I would do any large scale suspension mods I would first change out the tires. I'm sure there are better tires out there then even the Michelin Sport 4's. But if you go for a Premium BRZ or a base GR86 that would be the first thing I would do before anything else. After that maybe an update of the brake pads. Then I would drive the thing for a while and really live with it as a commuter car and how it is as a back road car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Interesting points all-around. Are you guys planning on modifying the cars at all or enjoying them stock? For example, if modifying, things like wheels and tires on the higher trims won't matter too much as they will be swapped out.
I guess it’s always a good idea to do some stock driving to see on where you want to invest on improvements. I like the new car since a lot of improvements have already been done by the manufacturer. On my current BRZ I did some things that I won’t be doing on the GR when I get it. But some cheap and easy fixes I’ll do like fixating the master brake cilinder when needed and buy some decent brake pads. Maybe a high octane tune but that depends on the tune they’re going to give it standard in Europe. No more loud exhaust for me. I guess when it comes to more expensive mods a set of Intrax suspension and a 4.56 final drive with close ratio first and second gear would be on my wish list. And I would love to try some new Potenza Sports as well…

1 - 20 of 36 Posts