Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
I hope there's something, though it might be at least a few months out since the cars are brand new. The old ones had issues with roof racks leaving dents in the roof from what I read. I have two 17' wood kayaks and an e-kayak I built that I'd like to use, but my ST cracked its head and there are so few fun to drive cars* left that I figured I had to get this while I could and figure out how to get it to work for me after. I'll plan on getting a hitch for the bike rack, but I would rather not have to get a trailer for the kayaks. If need be, I figure I could put extensions on the arms of the Kuat bike rack so that, when it's it the vertical position, I could use it to help support some of the weight of the kayaks and make it easier to load by sliding them up at an angle from the back (something I couldn't do with the ST due to the spoiler, thought the GR is also a good deal lower, so that probably wouldn't matter, anyway), but it will still need some kind of roof rack.

There are Seasucker racks that would probably be good for a surfboard.

*As opposed to cars that are just fast, but are overweight and disconnected and anything lacking a clutch pedal might as well be a '60s Cadillac to me without the appeal of the looks and cushy boat ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope there's something, though it might be at least a few months out since the cars are brand new. The old ones had issues with roof racks leaving dents in the roof from what I read. I have two 17' wood kayaks and an e-kayak I built that I'd like to use, but my ST cracked its head and there are so few fun to drive cars* left that I figured I had to get this while I could and figure out how to get it to work for me after. I'll plan on getting a hitch for the bike rack, but I would rather not have to get a trailer for the kayaks. If need be, I figure I could put extensions on the arms of the Kuat bike rack so that, when it's it the vertical position, I could use it to help support some of the weight of the kayaks and make it easier to load by sliding them up at an angle from the back (something I couldn't do with the ST due to the spoiler, thought the GR is also a good deal lower, so that probably wouldn't matter, anyway), but it will still need some kind of roof rack.

There are Seasucker racks that would probably be good for a surfboard.

*As opposed to cars that are just fast, but are overweight and disconnected and anything lacking a clutch pedal might as well be a '60s Cadillac to me without the appeal of the looks and cushy boat ride.
Thanks for the info, never knew first gens had problems. That's unfortunate if true. I do have a padded roof rack that'll most likely work, I'd just much rather wait and do it the right way if possible. 17' kayaks sounds like a hassle, my 10' surfboard can be annoying at times. Let me know if you find anything out, I want a roof rack over anything else.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thanks for the info, never knew first gens had problems. That's unfortunate if true. I do have a padded roof rack that'll most likely work, I'd just much rather wait and do it the right way if possible. 17' kayaks sounds like a hassle, my 10' surfboard can be annoying at times. Let me know if you find anything out, I want a roof rack over anything else.
The 17s can definitely be annoying, especially where the one-person hand holds at the coaming make the weight imbalanced but they're marine ply and 'glass, so they're lighter than probably anything but carbon fiber or a skin-on-frame boat. One weighs about 40# and the other, more heavily built one for oceans has to be about 70 (and THAT is the one that's a beast to get back on the roof at the end of a day). By contrast, the 13' E-yak is plastic and weighs about 50 without the electronic stuff. As far as maneuverability, I use traditional-style Greenland paddles, which I made because they were cheap to build and I wanted to try them out. Turns out, they allow for a slide stroke so that I have about 7' of paddle on one side to leverage off to steer and they turn like much smaller boats even in winding marshes. Plus, the paddles are so much fun to make as I used a hand plane for most of it and I find that to be the most satisfying tool to use. I ended up making four of them for the two boats (one is an Aleutian style, which is similar, but asymmetric with pointed tips).

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've read that the roof is aluminum, so that may warrant being extra careful.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Correct, the new Gen cars now have aluminum roofs, so probably even more fragile than the previous gen's steel roof.
Seasucker has the bars that I think some may have used on the previous model but I don’t want to be the Guinea pig either. My kayak is around 50lbs and I don’t really want to get a trailer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, honestly very disappointed. Can't complain either way. I've never heard of seasucker racks, they're very interesting and probably my only option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For what it’s worth, I had been running the SeaSucker Talon to take my mountain bike to the trails on the roof/trunk of my ‘15 BRZ with zero issues. It’s a bit of a leap of faith on the part of the user, but after several years of use, I can honestly say that it works well. I picked up my ‘22 86 in January (not exactly riding season in SE MI) so I haven’t had a chance to set up the rack on the new car, but don’t anticipate any issues. The best advice I can give, if you go that route, is keep the suction cups clean; anything abrasive between those and your car’s finish will leave scratches. (Seems like a no-brainer, but you really have to be diligent about it).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts