Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I spotted on this video, between minute 15:15 and 15:45, what it seems to be a rev matching function for the manual transmission. Do you think is this correct?
Have a nice day

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,166 Posts
Hi guys, I spotted on this video, between minute 15:15 and 15:45, what it seems to be a rev matching function for the manual transmission. Do you think is this correct?
Have a nice day

Unfortunately not. I'm pretty sure it's all about setting up launch control procedure.
Looks like setting the gear shift buzzer, launch control or rev matching would be amazing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd actually be happiest if it does not have rev matching. Too many cars today automatically do it as soon as you engage sport mode. In some, you can't even turn it off.

In a simple lightweight car like this, I'd rather manage engine myself.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'd actually be happiest if it does not have rev matching. Too many cars today automatically do it as soon as you engage sport mode. In some, you can't even turn it off.

In a simple lightweight car like this, I'd rather manage engine myself.
According to @Chris Tonn AMA there is no auto-rev match in the GR86.
Thank god, I hate auto revmatching. Thankfully it's almost always able to be turned off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I drove a Civic Type R over the weekend and the rev-matching was nice...but I feel like it took a bit of the skill and fun away from driving it. Luckily I found out you can turn it off though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone know if it’s possible to add Toyotas IMT in the aftermarket? Or something similar that is not the “auto-blip” device since I heard that isn’t good for everyday driving.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,090 Posts
I have to agree with the other guys. I would not want auto rev match. As silly as it sounds this car is about purity. I feel all those gimmicks just lead to people thinking they are much better drivers than they really are. Then they end up getting false confidence when the car does most of the real work for them. They end up getting into a driving situation that requires actual skill or a quick response and end up in a ditch or against a wall.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to agree with the other guys. I would not want auto rev match. As silly as it sounds this car is about purity. I feel all those gimmicks just lead to people thinking they are much better drivers than they really are. Then they end up getting false confidence when the car does most of the real work for them. They end up getting into a driving situation that requires actual skill or a quick response and end up in a ditch or against a wall.
I completely understand but just nice to have the feature to me personally and I was wondering if there is an after market for it

·
Super Moderator
1,166 Posts
Does anyone know if it’s possible to add Toyotas IMT in the aftermarket? Or something similar that is not the “auto-blip” device since I heard that isn’t good for everyday driving.
Yes, a few (like ecutek) tuning software can add these. No one knows for sure when they will come out, but the expectations are this year. You also have entire replacement ECU hardware (that comes with software to do this) which will no doubt also make an appearance sometime soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, a few (like ecutek) tuning software can add these. No one knows for sure when they will come out, but the expectations are this year. You also have entire replacement ECU hardware (that comes with software to do this) which will no doubt also make an appearance sometime soon.
Very cool I’ll keep my eye out for it then

·
Registered
WR Blue Pearl 2022 BRZ Limited 6AT
269 Posts
I don't understand this take. More options and features only benefit the consumer, especially if they're configurable.

·
Super Moderator
1,166 Posts
I don't understand this take. More options and features only benefit the consumer, especially if they're configurable.
Because once you add that option it will become hard to resist I guess. I kind of am one of those people to be honest, I would probably find myself losing any heal and toe skill because its automated by just selecting it, even though I love heal and toe driving and find it adds to the satisfaction. So yeah I'm glad its not in their on its own just for my own weakness for being lazy!

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,090 Posts
Its just another added expense for a "nannie". If you buy a performance manual transmission vehicle, I would assume you can properly drive such a vehicle. But I feel that way about most crap they put on cars now. Lane assist, emergency braking, parking sensors, self parallel parking, adaptive cruise... blah blah blah. Some call those features, I call them $10k worth of junk I would rather not have.Stuff like that is why a civic that should cost$16k now costs $28k. People want to remove themselves from the experience and feel less responsible for whatever the car does. This is a great low power fun to drive manual transmission car to practice your skills. Learning to heel toe and rev match downshift will be far more rewarding than paying somebody to have the car do it for you.

·
Registered
WR Blue Pearl 2022 BRZ Limited 6AT
269 Posts
Stuff like that is why a civic that should cost$16k now costs $28k
For what it's worth, today's Civic Si is actually cheaper when adjusted for inflation. $17,860 (Si starting MSRP) in 1999 is $30,139 in 2022. The 2022 Civic Si's starting MSRP is $27,300.

And the Si has downshift rev matching.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts