Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Bred Base MT
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a newb question but I never had this issue with other cars when checking the oil level on the dip stick.

There’s 2 dimples on the dipstick. One side it’s pointing out the other is indented.

Which side do you use to take the reading?

On one end, the one where the dimples stick out it reads less, while the other side always reads more.

I was checking the oil today and I have no idea where the oil is going. I check like every month and have had to add more oil cause the reading was a bit low.

The reading is usually within the dimples, but it doesn’t match what I’ve been putting in. I’ve basically put 6 qts in the car at this point.

I’m due for an oil change soon, not sure if this is concerning. Never had a new car burn oil🤷🏽‍♂️. I thought the car takes 5.3qts to fill? So if I’ve put 6qts in the car? Where’d the .7qts go?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
You mean you’ve added oil incrementally and the total added is 6 qts? Or you changed oil & filter and have filled up with 6 qts at this point?

You want to pull the dipstick and wipe it off first. Wait a minute to let the oil in the dipstick tube go back in the pan, otherwise it will smear the reading. On my car, the dipstick is curved with the concave (inward) dimples facing the rear and convex (outward) dimples facing forward. The “blade” is horizontally aligned left-right and the loop of the handle is axially align front-rear. I usually read it on the convex side, but it reads the same on both sides. Make sure you are fully seating the stick in the tube so the O-ring is pushed all the way in and the yellow ring stops against the tube.
Hood Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Light Automotive design

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Audio equipment Carbon

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
16 Posts
Make sure your car is up to temp and then park it on a level surface. Let it sit for more then 5 minutes (I like to do 10) and then take your reading. Look at both sides of the dipstick and take the lower reading as your accurate reading. I believe it is aprox. 1L from the lower dot to the upper dot and the upper dot is considered full.

I am still working on tracking down my oil consumption with the dealer.. I am starting to think I have a leak even tho I haven't noticed any on the ground.

-Ghost

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Look at both sides of the dipstick and take the lower reading as your accurate reading.
Good approach. The dipstick enters the pan at an angle, so maybe the level on the rear-facing “upper” side reads a tad lower than the forward-facing “lower” side.

Hope you solve your mystery oil loss.

Reactions: GhostGR86

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I am still working on tracking down my oil consumption with the dealer.. I am starting to think I have a leak even tho I haven't noticed any on the ground.
Have you looked at your PCV system? Sometimes piston ring blow-by can cause higher pressure in the crankcase and push more oil into the PCV system. Sometimes the oil/vapor separator (I'm assuming this car has one) gets overwhelmed and the excess oil gets sucked into the intake. Sometimes that excess oil can be seen pooling around in the intake, making a mess and getting all over your air filter. More common with turbo cars I believe but not unheard-of with NA cars.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Bred Base MT
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good approach. The dipstick enters the pan at an angle, so maybe the level on the rear-facing “upper” side reads a tad lower than the forward-facing “lower” side.

Hope you solve your mystery oil loss.
Thanks for the pictures, I've added overall 6qts over the last ~3months. I've been adding to the same spot on the dipstick, and also going with the lower reading.
The other side is usually smeared ( I've never been able to get it to come out clean on both sides)

I usually check the oil when I get off work, so the cars been driven for about 30ish mins, and then I let it sit for about 5 mins or more before taking the reading.

I'll keep monitoring this, and check the kick panel cover when I do the next oil change to see if its leaking there.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Thanks for the pictures, I've added overall 6qts over the last ~3months. I've been adding to the same spot on the dipstick, and also going with the lower reading.
The other side is usually smeared ( I've never been able to get it to come out clean on both sides)

I usually check the oil when I get off work, so the cars been driven for about 30ish mins, and then I let it sit for about 5 mins or more before taking the reading.

I'll keep monitoring this, and check the kick panel cover when I do the next oil change to see if its leaking there.
That's a lot in three months. How many miles would that be, maybe 3,000 miles? If so that would be a quart every 500 miles.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Bred Base MT
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a lot in three months. How many miles would that be, maybe 3,000 miles? If so that would be a quart every 500 miles.
Yeah around ~3k miles in 3 months. When I did the first oil change, I put about ~5.3qts in.
I've been topping it off since with the remaining .7qts that was left over. So overall I've put in 6qts.

A quart every 500 miles would be way excessive.

My beater car burns oil, that I put a quart every other month, but that thing has 200k miles.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Yeah around ~3k miles in 3 months. When I did the first oil change, I put about ~5.3qts in.
I've been topping it off since with the remaining .7qts that was left over. So overall I've put in 6qts.

A quart every 500 miles would be way excessive.

My beater car burns oil, that I put a quart every other month, but that thing has 200k miles.
Oh, I thought you said earlier you added 6 quarts in three months. But you changed oil, refilled with 5.3 quarts and have added 0.7 quarts in three months / 3,000 miles. That's probably not too big of a deal.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
2,326 Posts
I agree that the varying readings on the dipstick are because it enters the oil pan at an angle. That is no big deal. Losing any oil for a car that has not been track driven is not normal.
I am on the same oil for over 3k miles now and have not lost any. I also did a hard break in for what that is worth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have you looked at your PCV system? Sometimes piston ring blow-by can cause higher pressure in the crankcase and push more oil into the PCV system. Sometimes the oil/vapor separator (I'm assuming this car has one) gets overwhelmed and the excess oil gets sucked into the intake. Sometimes that excess oil can be seen pooling around in the intake, making a mess and getting all over your air filter. More common with turbo cars I believe but not unheard-of with NA cars.
Honestly sounds a little over my head but if the dealer can’t figure it out I will try and dig into this. Thanks for the advice.

-Ghost

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you read your owners manual, you will see that you are supposed to go off the side that is lower. Page 347 (at least for the BRZ), step 5: "Check the oil levels on both sides of the level gauge. The engine oil level must be judged by the lowest of the two levels. If the oil level is below the low level mark, add oil so that the full level is reached."

·
Registered
‘22 GR86 Trueno base 6AT
59 Posts
Interesting thread
I checked my wife’s last night and regardless of which side of the stick I was right in between the two dimples. Close to 700 miles and I am chomping at the bit to change the oil and filter and DPG.
I’ve already gone to the Subaru store to get the oil the filter and some drain plug gaskets. I’m going to stay stock for the time being.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ
21 Posts
This engine design is built loose so to speak. In Toyotas engineering to get more power and fast revving they reduced friction with piston and piston rings having low tension. Results in oil passing by the rings and some consumption. My question is how much is OK and will it increase as miles add up. My car has had usage with the breakin oil (1/3 quart) in 4500 miles, first oil change (4500 miles) 1/2 quart and now my 2nd oil change at just over 3500 miles (1 Quart needed to bring to full) it is scary to see an increase !! I’m using 0W20 as recommended. Should I go with a 5W viscosity?? Will it help?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I’m using 0W20 as recommended. Should I go with a 5W viscosity?? Will it help?
5W20 will give you about 11% higher viscosity at normal oil operating temperature (205° F / 96° C), so that should help.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
2,326 Posts
Oil loss during break in is expected and normal. Especially with that crap oil they use for the factory fill. 4500 miles is way too long IMO for that stuff. My car does not lose any oil at all at this point. I drive hard pretty much at all times and it had a hard break in. 5w20 is the sweet spot for sure with oil, but I know some people prefer to follow the owners manual.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts