Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22' Steel GR86 6MT
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into getting these as I've seen they are highly regarded on this forum & the ft86club forums, but I have yet to see any one explain what exactly makes them so much better than a cheaper set like a Tein Flex Z.

I know a big plus is they are rebuildable, but what else makes them great?...Quality? Durability? Ride? The way they are valved?

Basically why should I buy these over a different/cheaper set?

Use: daily driver, weekend autocross

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Premium
63 Posts
Looking into getting these as I've seen they are highly regarded on this forum & the ft86club forums, but I have yet to see any one explain what exactly makes them so much better than a cheaper set like a Tein Flex Z.

I know a big plus is they are rebuildable, but what else makes them great?...Quality? Durability? Ride? The way they are valved?

Basically why should I buy these over a different/cheaper set?

Use: daily driver, weekend autocross
The points you stated above. But also, they are made by KW, so you are getting a premium product at a really good price, they are stainless steel so they wont rust like most other coilovers, they are TUV compliant (german highway regulation for modifications) so they are made to a gov standard to comply with.

There product support is fantastic, I ordered a set of the Tarmac 2's and when I went to install I was missing a set screw on one of the collars, they had me a new collar out within 3 days with the new screw. The collar original collar was actually stripped and the new one happened to be different (didn't matter as I only needed the screw then) I reached out again and asked for the part number as it was my fault I stripped the screw, they sent me out another collar no questions asked, even though I clearly stated I made the error.

I was also bouncing questions off Myles at their product support center the whole time prepping for install, he even gave me his cell number in case I ran into issues installing over the weekend.

The service alone is enough for me to go back and buy from them in the future, also they are KW based coils so they ride amazing and perform just as well.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I was having the same debate, but I will be getting the RCE SS1 when the time comes to buy. They may be more expensive than the Teins & BC, but they come highly recommended from every forum member / poll I can find.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Premium
63 Posts
hey @Bergman what front camber plates are you running if any? anything in the rear?
Verus front camber plates and just natural camber in the rear. Plan to also run adjustable endlinks mine started hitting the lower control arms in the front. I didn't install them at first and my car has now been parked for two weeks while I wait for them to arrive.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Track Bred Premium MT
879 Posts
Ok. I’m thinking of getting the RCE SS-1s as well. There is an option to get OEM Rear Shock Mounts as well. I asked them if those were necessary. He said No not necessary but makes it easier to swap without disassembling your oem rear mounts. I’m not going to be installing them myself. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Premium
63 Posts
Ok. I’m thinking of getting the RCE SS-1s as well. There is an option to get OEM Rear Shock Mounts as well. I asked them if those were necessary. He said No not necessary but makes it easier to swap without disassembling your oem rear mounts. I’m not going to be installing them myself. Thoughts?
I got the oem rear top hats, makes it a super simple swap this way and you don't need to get a spring compressor and mess with that. Also my rational is when I get rid of this car I have another easy swap and a full set of assembled coilovers to sell.

·
Registered
22' Steel GR86 6MT
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
When I installed the RCE SS-1s I reused the rear OEM top hats. I literally just used a ratchet & a torx bit to remove them, super easy. The rear springs aren't under enough pressure to need a spring compressor.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Track Bred Premium MT
879 Posts
I just got a quote from a local shop for installation of coilovers with a 4 wheel laser alignment for $700. Is that reasonable? I am not in any way able to do this myself

·
Registered
22' Steel GR86 6MT
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I just got a quote from a local shop for installation of coilovers with a 4 wheel laser alignment for $700. Is that reasonable? I am not in any way able to do this myself
Seems a bit excessive to me.

Took me and a friend 2 hours to install with jacks & jack stands. Should take a shop with a lift 1-2 hours at the most. So your paying for 2 hours of labor + an alignment...so $300-$400?

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Premium
63 Posts
Seems a bit excessive to me.

Took me and a friend 2 hours to install with jacks & jack stands. Should take a shop with a lift 1-2 hours at the most. So your paying for 2 hours of labor + an alignment...so $300-$400?
I would agree that does seem a little excessive, I did them by myself in about 3 hours with 2-3 beer breaks and rumidging around to find the tools I needed. I recall being quoted probably 6 years ago now about $450-500 CDN to do a lowering spring install with an alignment and that was on my rusty Honda and they would have to swap the springs on that as well.

·
Registered
22' Steel GR86 6MT
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today's Top Tip:

Don't be an idiot like me & install the coilovers with the camber plates facing the wrong way...facepalm
White Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Hood

Had to go back & fix them 😅
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had mine installed a week after I got my car. Car is less floaty over big bumps and rides now comfortable using their recommended setting. Also tries it on track and it is very capable when paired with Kumho V730 tires! Everyone who drove it commented on how controlled and planted it is. Their customer service is top notch, answered all the questions I had within a day. Highly recommended.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts