Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am waiting for my 2022 BRZ. The knock on the car is the noise in the cabin. Quieter Tires would help. Has anyone replaced the Michelin Pilot 4 tires with something quieter. And was it successful. I will ad soundproofing later but the noise starts with the tires.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No firsthand knowledge on this, but I read a few recommendations for Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 on the first gen 86. Enough that I wrote down the name to look into further when I actually have the car to put them on.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I hated the F1s my Focus ST came with, but that was a very different car. I think they were decently quiet, but what I remember about them was that they had really good lateral grip until they suddenly didn't and always with bad understeer, gave little grip in a straight line (easily spin through 3rd gear), accentuated torquesteer and tramlining, were racing slicks in the wet, and flatspotted and turned to stone at 50F (I never had another summer high performance tire do that at such a high temperature and, since I'm in New England where a below 50F night is always possible outside of the very peak of summer, that makes them pretty useless). Luckily, they wore out quickly. The Continental Extreme Contact Sports I replaced them with were better in every way. Though ultimate lateral grip was a little less, they were progressive and allowed for more balanced handling and they hooked up much better in a straight line, no flatspots even down to the 20Fs, handled a dusting of early snow once without a problem, and torque steer and tramlining became non-issues unless it was really uneven pavement and I tried to accelerate with near full power (which I did once to test it). With this car, probably only the wet performance and temp issues are all that applicable, though. FWIW, the Continentals developed weird cupped wear patterns as if the car had bad shocks, even though everything was fine. replaced them with the General (also made by Continental) version and I couldn't tell the difference besides the cheaper price and they didn't develop the cupping (I don't know what caused the cupping, but I chalk it up to a bad batch—shit happens—I didn't hold it against them and subsequent Continentals (non-winter) and Generals (winter) had no issues).

·
Registered
406 Posts
Continental Extreme Contact Sport
Need to run them a couple PSI higher than the door jamb spec (at least on my Fiat 124 Spider) to firm them up, but they are quiet, ride wonderfully, and grip like crazy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts