Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Type R, and am considering selling it for an 86/BRZ to put some money towards a new family car. I test drove a BRZ today, and while it was nice, I was a little disappointed with the steering feel as well as brake/throttle response. I've been having trouble finding an 86 to test, and was wondering if these characteristic are any better on it. I really enjoy driving a car that feels razor sharp in its inputs, and felt like the BRZ, while certainly not bad, was a bit lacking in this regard for my tastes.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have a Type R, and am considering selling it for an 86/BRZ to put some money towards a new family car. I test drove a BRZ today, and while it was nice, I was a little disappointed with the steering feel as well as brake/throttle response. I've been having trouble finding an 86 to test, and was wondering if these characteristic are any better on it. I really enjoy driving a car that feels razor sharp in its inputs, and felt like the BRZ, while certainly not bad, was a bit lacking in this regard for my tastes.
I mean for the most part they’re the same car. The differences are minor per what reviewers have said.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru BRZ Sport-tech WRB
76 Posts
I responded to the same post in the BRZ side so just pasting the response here as well.

The GR86 is not available yet. The earliest you will find one to test drive is probably January.

To answer your question, it is best to explain to you about the difference between the two.

Steering response:
The two cars should have the same steering tune. That sharp steering people feels is probably due to the difference in suspension tuning which directly affect the body movement of the car when cornering. Because the GR86 is more tail happy with its suspension tuning, this is likely what causes the steering feel of the GR86 to be better than the BRZ.

Throttle response:
Also comes down to the tune of the throttle body. The BRZ tuning is more linear so whatever amount of throttle input you give, that is how much the throttle body will open. The GR86 tune makes the throttle body open sooner so you don't have to floor it to get the max output. But in terms of performance, the two cars will be similar as the powertrain is the same.

Brake response:
I don't think there is a difference in terms of brake response for both cars because the components used to build the brake itself should be the same. The difference people experience is also likely from the body movement, which is caused by the different suspension tuning. The GR86 has a lower front suspension rate compare to the BRZ so during hard braking situation, it is likely the GR86 will dip more in the front which makes you feel like you are braking harder in the GR86, but in fact that is just the difference in body movement.

Overall, if you are looking for a more aggressive feel, GR86 will be better for you. But if you want a more stable feel, BRZ is the one to go.

·
Super Moderator
679 Posts
I responded to the same post in the BRZ side so just pasting the response here as well.

The GR86 is not available yet. The earliest you will find one to test drive is probably January.

To answer your question, it is best to explain to you about the difference between the two.

Steering response:
The two cars should have the same steering tune. That sharp steering people feels is probably due to the difference in suspension tuning which directly affect the body movement of the car when cornering. Because the GR86 is more tail happy with its suspension tuning, this is likely what causes the steering feel of the GR86 to be better than the BRZ.

Throttle response:
Also comes down to the tune of the throttle body. The BRZ tuning is more linear so whatever amount of throttle input you give, that is how much the throttle body will open. The GR86 tune makes the throttle body open sooner so you don't have to floor it to get the max output. But in terms of performance, the two cars will be similar as the powertrain is the same.

Brake response:
I don't think there is a difference in terms of brake response for both cars because the components used to build the brake itself should be the same. The difference people experience is also likely from the body movement, which is caused by the different suspension tuning. The GR86 has a lower front suspension rate compare to the BRZ so during hard braking situation, it is likely the GR86 will dip more in the front which makes you feel like you are braking harder in the GR86, but in fact that is just the difference in body movement.

Overall, if you are looking for a more aggressive feel, GR86 will be better for you. But if you want a more stable feel, BRZ is the one to go.
You still have to floor the GR86 to get full throttle.

The throttle response changes are in how aggressively it gets to full throttle (and it also backs off quicker too).

Here is toyota's provided image showing its tweak from the original BRZ tune.
Font Parallel Slope Rectangle Circle

·
Registered
pending purchase either GR86/BRZ
15 Posts
can you provide the link or specific location where I'm able to read about the entire presentation?

·
Super Moderator
679 Posts
can you provide the link or specific location where I'm able to read about the entire presentation?
I took it from one of the videos - I think one of the euro reviews iirc. There is a lot they showed, so let me check which one it was and ill get back to you mate.

·
Registered
Awaiting a 2022 GR86 premium in Trueno blue
56 Posts
I remember seeing this graph too
It was from a very early video,
One of the first ones of the gr86.
Before the slew of journalist videos

·
Registered
pending purchase either GR86/BRZ
15 Posts
Thanks for providing that video, it gave one an understanding about the differences of performance/handling characteristic of the BRZ vs GR86 and was very informative regarding correct driving techniques !!

·
Super Moderator
679 Posts
I took it from one of the videos - I think one of the euro reviews iirc. There is a lot they showed, so let me check which one it was and ill get back to you mate.
@joben
This video review had the most information from the journalist presentations - it has the detail I screenshotted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts