Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched a video on 5 things a new BRZ owner dislikes about his car. Aside from minor ergonomic issues that I’ve heard mentioned and don’t think I’ll have much problem with, he mentioned revhang as the most major one. This surprises me to hear about from a NA car but I wondered if the slight difference in tuning between the cars might mean the 86 doesn’t have it, or potentially that it’s something that happens during the break-in period?
Have any new owners noticed it to be a problem? Here’s the video if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I only drove the gr86 for about 10 minutes today but can confirm it has rev hang and pretty bad at that. I noticed when I was really pushing it and would shift up, the rpms would continue to soar up and it actually really annoyed me. I never really dealt with rev hang before (I own a 2016 Focus ST and don't think it has it even though a hot hatch), so when I was shifting I was like what is going on. I don't see anyone talking about it so as like what is going on haha.

So yeah, it's there and I found it pretty bad haha. But when driving normally, you don't notice it just when really gassing it.

·
Registered
2018 Fiesta ST, 2019 Shelby GT350R
149 Posts
Time will tell, but I suspect that savvy tuners can reduce rev hang. I know it was an option to reduce rev hang when I installed a bigger snail on my Fiesta.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Rev hang is deliberate. It is programmed into modern ECU's to minimize emission-causing events related to snapping the throttle shut: 1) the spike in gas pressure, causing oil vaporization; 2) the fuel mixture suddenly going lean, causing formation of NOx. Tuners can reprogram throttle body control codes if it annoys you too much.

·
Registered
22 Trueno Blue
36 Posts
the problem i have with my car is the extremely high clutch engagement point, that bothers me a lot more than the rev hang. (or the rev hang this case kept the gear change smoothly as the clutch was disengaging a lot longer every stroke)

anyone has similar settings in your brz/86?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think that it is just a matter of learning a new clutch. Our two manual cars (17' BRZ and Miata NC) have such different clutches (the NC feels almost violent and primitive in comparison) that a little relearning is constantly required :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Rev hang is deliberate. It is programmed into modern ECU's to minimize emission-causing events related to snapping the throttle shut: 1) the spike in gas pressure, causing oil vaporization; 2) the fuel mixture suddenly going lean, causing formation of NOx. Tuners can reprogram throttle body control codes if it annoys you too much.
But if it gets changed, won’t that be in violation of a state’s emission standards?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also, what’s the difference with manuals that have Rev Match automation? Isn’t that a form of programmed hang?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Rev match is on downshifts. Rev hang is an issue when trying to make fast upshifts.

As for tuning out rev hang, it will increase emissions somewhat. But it won't be anything compared to a performance tune and a cat-less exhaust. I highly doubt that it would even show up on state emissions testing.

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Premium 6MT (pre-order)
36 Posts
the problem i have with my car is the extremely high clutch engagement point, that bothers me a lot more than the rev hang. (or the rev hang this case kept the gear change smoothly as the clutch was disengaging a lot longer every stroke)

anyone has similar settings in your brz/86?
Funny you mention the engagement point as the clutch in the first gen is part of the reason I sold the damn thing. Everything I have read/seen indicates the clutch was improved upon. Perhaps this is not the case. First gen car my knee would almost hit the back of the steering wheel the clutch would engage so late/high. Hated it.

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
278 Posts
I have seen the videos about rev hang on this car and i think the people are crazy. If they think its bad they have not driven a manual ford, honda, dodge made in the last 15 years. Focus ST has it bad, mustang GT can make and eat a sandwich in between shifts, challenger is almost as bad.

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Premium 6MT (pre-order)
36 Posts
My 2018 WRX had miserable rev hang until I had it tuned. I never noticed any on my 13 BRZ. My recently sold Focus RS never had any noticeable rev hang either. Honestly, the WRX without tune was absolutely miserable to drive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's strange, I've watched quite a few POV drives in the GR86 and there didn't seem to be any noticeable rev hang as far as I could tell. Not sure if it's something undetectable in video or if it's just not that noticable.

·
Registered
22 Trueno Blue
36 Posts
Everyone, couple buddies and fellow brz owners told me this. I went ahead removing the spring behind the clutch. Boy this car feels normal again. No more Rev hang. Heel n toe. Backing up ... everything feels normal.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Bumper

·
Registered
14 Posts
Everyone, couple buddies and fellow brz owners told me this. I went ahead removing the spring behind the clutch. Boy this car feels normal again. No more Rev hang. Heel n toe. Backing up ... everything feels normal.

View attachment 3872
Interesting, I hope the existing aftermarket clutch springs for the older BRZs will fit the gen 2s. Might be a happy middle ground between no spring and stock

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
278 Posts
That spring is for pedal assist. Should have nothing to do with rev hang. The delay valve however can make it seem like there is hang. You cant just push the clutch in at the same time as coming off the throttle in most cars with clutch delay valves. You have to come off throttle just a fraction of a second before clutching in. That gives the electronic throttle time to actually close and the pressure plate to actually get the disk off the flywheel. Trying to move both at the same time in most modern cars will result in RPM jumping up between shifts and falling slowly.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I think that it is just a matter of learning a new clutch. Our two manual cars (17' BRZ and Miata NC) have such different clutches (the NC feels almost violent and primitive in comparison) that a little relearning is constantly required :)
Thanks for this insight! I also have a NC, so I was curious how much of an adjustment it may be.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts