Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really interested in buying the new GR86, but worried about potential engine problems like 2012-2013 cars might have. I have done a tiny bit of research (please correct me if I am wrong) on potential things not to worry about and some to worry about. I don't have that much, but wanted to discuss with yall to see if its going to be a nightmare buying the first year car and maybe its better to wait a year?

I personally plan to mod the car (coilovers, headers, wheels, exhaust (have you listened to the SARD one???), etc)

Pros:
  • I believe they are using the FA24 based off of the Ascent that has been out for a few years and it seems pretty stout.
  • Lots designs are carry over from first gen
-There's warranty anyway

Cons:
  • I believe the FA24 is modified with some toyota design for the BRZ/86?? So might have some stuff to iron out in the next few years?
  • Missing out big time like the dudes that own ND1 in 2021

·
Registered
9 Posts
All of the cars I’ve owned over the decades (I’m 60), with the exception of 1 Acura, have been Toyotas. Never had any major mechanical problems. Since this engine has already been used in the Subaru, I’d say there shouldn’t be any problems.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Really interested in buying the new GR86, but worried about potential engine problems like 2012-2013 cars might have. I have done a tiny bit of research (please correct me if I am wrong) on potential things not to worry about and some to worry about. I don't have that much, but wanted to discuss with yall to see if its going to be a nightmare buying the first year car and maybe its better to wait a year?

I personally plan to mod the car (coilovers, headers, wheels, exhaust (have you listened to the SARD one???), etc)

Pros:
  • I believe they are using the FA24 based off of the Ascent that has been out for a few years and it seems pretty stout.
-There's warranty anyway

Cons:
  • I believe the FA24 is modified with some toyota design for the BRZ/86?? So might have some stuff to iron out in the next few years?
Welcome to the forum @grgrgr! The engine in the new cars is different from the previous year so I wouldn't worry too much about the problems of the old cars repeating here. Overall they've been reliable cars

This video from Engineering Explained does a good job going through the engine. You're right the engine is using Toyota's D-4S technology (port and direct fuel injection) that they used in the first gen cars. But that helps keep the intake valves clean.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Pros:
-There's warranty anyway

Cons:
I doubt something like what happened with the ND1 is going to happen, since nothing of the sort happened with first gen. I was also going to say that with euro 7 on the horizon I wouldn't be surprised if the car got axed from the European market or receive some sort of hybridization but I noticed you're American and probably don't need to worry about something like that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You’re just going to get the usual first year growing pains but other then that it’s up in the air. Being that Toyota and Subaru are probably use to working together at this point (moving to other collab projects like ev suvs) the build quality should be even better as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my opinion there should be no production problems in the first year of GR8 production. Because Toyota’s newest cars go through a multi-stage system of control of the car after it is assembled, various checks and tests of the car are carried out before it is delivered to the automobile market.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts