Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Appreciate the explanation. I do like regular 4 banger sounds better.
I don't know, Phoenix, if you like the sound of a V-8, which it appears you do, I think you'd like the UEL rumble. I find it pretty addictive if achieved through the right, high-quality exhaust pieces. The key for someone of my advanced age is to find a system that only really rumbles when you're on it, but quiet when rolling on the highway. The last WRX I had (a 2007) was like that -- perfect. It had UEL exhaust manifold stock, mated to an Invidia Q300 catback, which is their 'quiet' system. I see that the Q300 is available for the Gen1 86s so hopefully they come out with one for the Gen 2 cars, which in any case will work great with either UEL or EL headers.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Oh, just saw your post about your hearing. I'm going to look into seeing if we can get some hearing aids with fake engine noise piped into them for you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just wait until 2035 rolls along and electric will be the primary propulsion . It will be “choose your soundtrack” like a jukebox, lol….. but some of us won’t have to deal with that I guess .

·
Registered
88 Posts
I’m losing my hearing anyway, so I’ll probably unplug the fake noise maker. I have hearing aids (thanks Submarine Force!) and stuff sounds pretty artifact is. I don’t need to double down on shitty noises.
Driving the car, it’s honestly very quiet. Without the generator, would probably struggle to hear anything
Idk. I think I have bad hearing. Because I don't hear it with the active sound control plugged in or unplugged. Car sounds the same to me lol.

·
Registered
2018 Fiesta ST, 2019 Shelby GT350R
197 Posts
Oh, just saw your post about your hearing. I'm going to look into seeing if we can get some hearing aids with fake engine noise piped into them for you.
We’ll they’re Bluetooth enabled, so bring it.

·
Registered
WR Blue Pearl 2022 BRZ Limited 6AT
71 Posts
We’ll they’re Bluetooth enabled, so bring it.
We can use the CAN signals from the car to determine RPM and throttle position, feed that into an audio synth on an Intel NUC and use the comms channel on the Bluetooth device to feed the crappiest engine noise you've ever heard. Think Pole Position 1982 on a 500ms delay.

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
299 Posts
I see that the Q300 is available for the Gen1 86s so hopefully they come out with one for the Gen 2 cars
The Q300 system for a gen 1 car will bolt right up to a gen 2, as will any header and catback system. The only exhaust mods that are not compatible are axle back only kits.

·
Registered
197 Posts
We can use the CAN signals from the car to determine RPM and throttle position, feed that into an audio synth on an Intel NUC and use the comms channel on the Bluetooth device to feed the crappiest engine noise you've ever heard. Think Pole Position 1982 on a 500ms delay.
You guys are a riot, picking on an old deaf Sailor. I can get this sort of abuse without going online. Lol.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't know, Phoenix, if you like the sound of a V-8, which it appears you do, I think you'd like the UEL rumble. I find it pretty addictive if achieved through the right, high-quality exhaust pieces. The key for someone of my advanced age is to find a system that only really rumbles when you're on it, but quiet when rolling on the highway. The last WRX I had (a 2007) was like that -- perfect. It had UEL exhaust manifold stock, mated to an Invidia Q300 catback, which is their 'quiet' system. I see that the Q300 is available for the Gen1 86s so hopefully they come out with one for the Gen 2 cars, which in any case will work great with either UEL or EL headers.
Maybe, I’ll have to hear cars with each type of exhaust, then make a decision.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The Q300 system for a gen 1 car will bolt right up to a gen 2, as will any header and catback system. The only exhaust mods that are not compatible are axle back only kits.
I've watched a few videos from that Stratified Tuning guy up in Canada, and he's compared the inlet sizes, piping sizes etc. of the OEM pieces between Gen1 and Gen2 and they are quite different. So even though they no doubt will bolt right up, I wonder if the Gen1 aftermarket stuff is optimized for the Gen2. I also see that on the FT86 website, they are not showing all of the Gen 1 exhaust parts, perhaps some, but not all, in the Gen2 exhaust section. I believe some companies like HKS are making all new catbacks for the Gen2, so again, I'm left wondering if the Gen1 stuff is optimized to work with the Gen2s.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've always been more enamored of induction sounds than exhaust sounds. It probably goes back to my youth when almost every car, even the family station wagon, had at least a big 2-barrel and very often 4-barrel carburetor. Stomp on the accelerator and hear that "Wamp-waaaaaaoooooooo" of big air movement into the intake manifold.

To me, induction is the sound of an engine making power, and exhaust is the sound of the aftermath of power. Induction just sounds way meaner and more aggressive to me than a loudly brapping, hammering, crackling, popping, burping or - worst of all, farting - :LOL: exhaust.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've watched a few videos from that Stratified Tuning guy up in Canada, and he's compared the inlet sizes, piping sizes etc. of the OEM pieces between Gen1 and Gen2 and they are quite different. So even though they no doubt will bolt right up, I wonder if the Gen1 aftermarket stuff is optimized for the Gen2. I also see that on the FT86 website, they are not showing all of the Gen 1 exhaust parts, perhaps some, but not all, in the Gen2 exhaust section. I believe some companies like HKS are making all new catbacks for the Gen2, so again, I'm left wondering if the Gen1 stuff is optimized to work with the Gen2s.
Exactly my thought. The displacement increased, so maybe exhaust ports (and intake) did too.

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
299 Posts
I have seen them as well. I have been saying for a while now the OEM header on the 22 model is likely better than most of whats out there on the aftermarket. The tests done so far just MOVE the powerband, they dont really add power. That is exactly what you can expect when you change the length of the header tubes. As for a catback.... IDK what "optimizing" can really be done. The exhaust tubing after the header on gen 1 vs gen 2 hasnt changed. Its just pipes. Exhaust comes in pretty universal standard pipe sizes. So if it bolts up, has the pipe size you want and sounds good to you, thats about all you can ask for. I do believe there is improvement that can be made to aftermarket headers for the gen 2. Everything behind there makes no difference.

·
Registered
WR Blue Pearl 2022 BRZ Limited 6AT
71 Posts
Oh, I’m fine with it. I’m not here to be a pissy old dude. I’ll likely comment on stuff that I don’t like, but I’m not trying to be mean, just direct.
No matter what, we're happy to have you.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts