Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Red GR86
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been driving manuals for many years but have just now been playing around with heel/toe shifting coming hot into curves.

I have a 2022 GR86 and I LOVE how this corners, but the pedal height difference makes it tough to do heel/toe easily. It seems like either the brake needs to adjust down or the accelerator should come up. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Here is another solution, but it is costly at $125. It lifts the stock pedal up.
Throttle Pedal Spacer - BRZ/FRS/GT86/GR86
Here is a post where someone confirmed it fits the new generation.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’ve been driving manuals for many years but have just now been playing around with heel/toe shifting coming hot into curves.

I have a 2022 GR86 and I LOVE how this corners, but the pedal height difference makes it tough to do heel/toe easily. It seems like either the brake needs to adjust down or the accelerator should come up. Has anyone done this?
Yeah i brought the brake pedal down. https://www.gr-zoo.com/threads/white-gr86-from-singapore.1129/post-15125 . Sorry if i am not allowed to link a post from another forum and do delete if so.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Full Throttle Modifications has a less expensive 3D printed spacer thats similar in design to the Verus spacer

sixspeed started a thread on the Verus spacer and confirmed it does fit. Verus Engineering Throttle pedal spacer - FITS

EDIT: I should add both of these bring the pedal closer and provide up/down and side to side adjustment as well. I just ordered the Verus spacer and should be getting it tomorrow.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Full Throttle Modifications has a less expensive 3D printed spacer thats similar in design to the Verus spacer
Thanks..Just ordered and I'll see how it goes, although shipping to Australia is a shocker, haha.

I also own a 2020 Ford Fiesta ST which allows a bit more peddle dance, a noticable diff with heel/toe on the BRZ.

·
Registered
22 Trueno Blue
391 Posts
unpopular suggestion to OP and hope its not too late.

No purchase needed:
1. remove / detach clutch spring
2. adjust clutch pedal engagement point (GR/BRZ had been reported it came too high or low from factory.)
3. this one helps in most cases, works like a charm if you have aftermarket exhaust; UNplug the exhaust speaker. I found a lot of delay came from the speakers and gave the rev hang sensation.

·
Registered
'22 MT GR86 Grey
211 Posts

No purchase needed:
1. remove / detach clutch spring
2. adjust clutch pedal engagement point (GR/BRZ had been reported it came too high or low from factory.)
3. this one helps in most cases, works like a charm if you have aftermarket exhaust; UNplug the exhaust speaker. I found a lot of delay came from the speakers and gave the rev hang sensation.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't OP talking about heel-toe as it relates to the brake and accel pedal? Not clutch feel, or sound of the engine.

The best solution to OP's problem has already been suggested; either the Verus accel spacer, or a similar-but-inexpensive custom spacer option.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used a 3d printed pedal spacer but swapped to the Cusco gas pedal cover after a while (removed spacer). The pedal spacer brings the gas pedal too far forwards to comfortably heel toe under heavy braking on track. There's a minimum thickness needed for the spacer due to hardware, you can't just make a thinner one. The cover only adds a few mm of thickness to the cover but the added width makes heel toeing just about right.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Spot on with this last one (although OP was talking about brake/accelerator heel/toe for the other points raised by ther sounds).

I was amazed at the difference adding an aftermarket exhaust made, and agree that the fake sound almost seems delayed a little but it's made such a difference when you can actually hear what the car is doing in real-time. I've still left it plugged in for now but doesn't seem to matter much now that I've got the exhaust.

·
Registered
22 Trueno Blue
391 Posts
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't OP talking about heel-toe as it relates to the brake and accel pedal? Not clutch feel, or sound of the engine.

The best solution to OP's problem has already been suggested; either the Verus accel spacer, or a similar-but-inexpensive custom spacer option.
Glad you mention that, obviously if someone don't know how to drive a manual then those spacers may make the downshifts a bit easier, but please understand when you do that you are adjusting the pedal easier to rev match at street driving sense. if you drive your car a bit more using your brakes or more aggressive pads (you will miss the balance again.)

the feel of the clutch engagement point, hearing the engine and then computing the timing for the shift is all second nature to more experienced drivers and what i suggested is to fix that problem. (Assuming you have no problem control your right feet on gas, also how much gas you blip is a moot point if the clutch release timing is messed up.)

·
Registered
'22 MT GR86 Grey
211 Posts
Glad you mention that, obviously if someone don't know how to drive a manual then those spacers may make the downshifts a bit easier, but please understand when you do that you are adjusting the pedal easier to rev match at street driving sense. if you drive your car a bit more using your brakes or more aggressive pads (you will miss the balance again.)

the feel of the clutch engagement point, hearing the engine and then computing the timing for the shift is all second nature to more experienced drivers and what i suggested is to fix that problem. (Assuming you have no problem control your right feet on gas, also how much gas you blip is a moot point if the clutch release timing is messed up.)
For sure. The accel spacer helps mostly in situations where you're not braking super hard. It follows that if you brake harder, the relative position between brake and accel will be very different to if you're just doing some "spirited" driving up the mountains, or in the city.

For me an accel spacer makes sense; I'm not tracking my car, nor am I going to doing super hard braking out in the real world The spacer helps to even the brake and accel pedal during medium braking, which is exactly what I'm after. I suspect anyone who's doing actual track/race days with this car will already have a pretty good handle on what suits their driving style best.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just got back from a drive after installing the Verus spacer. My first impression is its too close now lol, it definitely feels different and I probably just need to give it some time to get used to. There is a note provided with the spacer that says to give it 2 weeks to get used to it. Blipping the throttle is definitely easier, I can give it more throttle more naturally.

I did try moving my seat back a bit but feeling comfortable pushing in the clutch is the limiting factor on how far I can go.

EDIT: I got to run it 3 more times today and its already feeling more natural (being farther forward). I'm feeling better about it for sure, I was thinking I might need to remove it at first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts