Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. I'm struggling badly with a decision, would like to get some votes here. I have a deposit on an Ice Silver Limited BRZ at invoice that landed yesterday. I also have a deposit on a Pavement Grey Premium GR86 at msrp that lands first week of January. Which would you go with? I'm extremely torn...

Dropped a bunch of pics below.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In all reality though id get the Pavement Grey 86.

Like others the initial way it looked when they first debuted was not desireable to me, but after seeing live pics of it i like it.

Also the 86 has GR's touches for track fun whereas people are reporting the BRZ has a more tame feel.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In all reality though id get the Pavement Grey 86.

Like others the initial way it looked when they first debuted was not desireable to me, but after seeing live pics of it i like it.

Also the 86 has GR's touches for track fun whereas people are reporting the BRZ has a more tame feel.
I agree on the Pavement. When I saw the available colors I wrote it off immediately. Now that I've looked at a bunch of pics and videos, I'm digging it.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive side-view mirror

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow that license plate mount on the BRZ's front bumper looks disgusting!
I'm glad I chose the GR86 instead haha!

The dark grey GR86 looks great, you know you want it...

The license plate mount is what's really killing me on the BRZ. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have went poking around to see if there was a GR86 around. I ordered the BRZ back in July and it landed at my dealer 2 days ago...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had not noticed the license plate mount until now as I was never really interested in the face of the BRZ, too much of a cheeky grin for me. Checked pics online & all the JDM cars have that as well which is such a shame, just like the FD RX-7 front bumpers.

You could always get an aftermarket front bumper or better yet just slap a sliver GR86 bumper on! No one would ever know until they looked really close haha!

·
Registered
148 Posts
One is at dealer cost and the other at MSRP? So a $2000 difference? That's your answer right there! No ducktail is worth two grand. (For me, having no ducktail is worth two grand :) )

As for color, Pavement/Magnetite is the most incredible color when just detailed and for about 5 minutes after that. Ice Silver/Steel on the other hand is the lowest maintenance color - it can go 6 months without a wash. It's also pretty amazing at showing the bodywork lines. Is washing your car an issue for you?

Louis

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow you actually got one at invoice? I thought we wouldn't hear of the word invoice uttered out of anyone's mouths again for years.
😁 Negotiated $500 over when I ordered it in July, then got a $500 goodwill loyalty voucher from Subaru. The license plate mount is simply eating me alive. If it weren't for that dang thing I wouldn't even be having the conversation...I'm not a giant fan of the red interior stitching either, but could live with it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have no doubt that the aftermarket will take care of the license plate moulding for those living in one-plate states. I would think that a painted, 3D-printed, profile-conforming (i.e., radiused on the outside and hollowed-out inside) plate delete could blend the rectangular outline of the boss back into the bumper (heck, I think I'm going to design one). Even just a normal black acrylic or billet delete (flat) intended for an STI might lessen your pain by masking the holes and turning the boss into a black accent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
😁 Negotiated $500 over when I ordered it in July, then got a $500 goodwill loyalty voucher from Subaru. The license plate mount is simply eating me alive. If it weren't for that dang thing I wouldn't even be having the conversation...I'm not a giant fan of the red interior stitching either, but could live with it.
That's awesome man. I'm hoping that getting these cars near invoice is relatively easy to do since they're not fast movers after the initial excitement.

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
298 Posts
The front plate mount on the BRZ is kinda weird. But it is flat making it easy to work with. There are tons of front plate delete pieces that will fit. You can get custom ones to say anything you want. Or just leave it alone. It didnt bother me as much as the GR86 suspension setup, and big duckbill so it was the lesser evil IMO.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The front plate mount on the BRZ is kinda weird. But it is flat making it easy to work with. There are tons of front plate delete pieces that will fit. You can get custom ones to say anything you want. Or just leave it alone. It didnt bother me as much as the GR86 suspension setup, and big duckbill so it was the lesser evil IMO.
Curious what you refer to with this comment:
"It didn't bother me as much as the GR86 suspension setup"

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
298 Posts
Curious what you refer to with this comment:
"It didn't bother me as much as the GR86 suspension setup"
The GR uses different spring rates, sway bars, and heavier front knuckles. It rides stiffer and is designed to be more tail happy and want to drift. The subaru is a bit softer and has the spring\sway bar setup designed to give a more compliant ride while at the same time giving more grip around corners. Some people dont care and plan on slamming the car or running aftermarket stuff. My experience with aftermarket suspension is that in almost every case you are making a compromise decision and it will never be just right. The manufacturers spend months and try hundreds of combinations to make it what it is. Most aftermarket companies will sell you whatever they have that fits. The spring rates, damping, etc are rarely optimal or even close to the factory. It comes down to what you are after though. In my 25 years of modding all kinds of cars, I have better luck cutting down stock springs than I do with a $2000 coilover setup. I have no intention on replacing the stock suspension, so in that case, to me the subaru is the better option. I very well may chop the springs to bring it down about a half inch, but thats it. That keeps all the stock ride quality and just drops it. Most call that a ghetto hack job. But I have great success with it on several cars.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts