Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2023 GR86 Premium, brand new from the dealership. I think it had only about 5 miles on it. Now I had to drive 8 hours to get my car back home, and obviously this isn't something I would have noticed until I got my plates and had to remove the paper tags.
Once I removed my paper tags, as I was screwing on my plate, I notice that one of the 2 holes the dealership had drilled is slightly too big, or maybe just over threaded. As you screw into the other hole, you can start to feel resistance as you tighten in the screw, and feels sturdy. But the other hole just sort of never stops screwing in and doesn't feel very sturdy. As a matter of fact one day I noticed that screw had actually fallen out after driving, but that's never happened again.
I contacted the dealership I bought the car from and their solution is literally just "get a bigger screw".
I'm hoping someone here has a better fix to this problem.

· Registered
3,933 Posts
Sorry this happened. Exactly why I instructed my dealer to not even touch my special-ordered car for any reason other than to put gas in it.

This thread may give you some ideas.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry this happened. Exactly why I instructed my dealer to not even touch my special-ordered car for any reason other than to put gas in it.

This thread may give you some ideas.
This is perfect, thank you!
I originally had the idea of using rivnuts but as I understood them I thought they were more of a permanent solution.
But if im able to remove and re-install screws into it once installed then this may be what I have to do!

· Registered
586 Posts
I put rivnuts in mine …and then thought, after the fact, about the fact that they might rust at some point and stain the bumper. In hindsight, I should’ve used stainless ones.

But if you want a simpler fix to slightly loose screw holes in your bumper, just squirt some hot melt glue into the screw hole.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts