Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@burner208 this is concerning to see
It gets better.

I dropped it off for the leak and I get a call.

"Our tech cannot find a leak, the engine has no oil leaks or signs of oil leaks"

So I emailed the photos of the leak... a short time later I get a call.

"We found your leak, it's coolant. The body shop disconnected some hoses on the engine when they were working on it. We cleaned it and you can pick it up any time"

I about lost my shit. First off, It was oil. I tasted it and it had no flavor.😋 Secondly WHY is the bodyshop taking apart my damn motor when they were replacing a dented fender!

At this point I called their GM. The GM pulled the car around and the best that he can tell the service tech dribbled oil from the filter on to the motor when the oil was changed recently.

I have a feeling somebody is going to have some explaining to do. I THINK the tech cleaned the motor then reported no oil leak then tried to blame the bodyshop when called on it.

Another oddity is the very distinct smell of fuel system cleaner that the car had on the short drive home. I think they may have mistakenly did a fuel service. Can't prove it but I've done enough of those in my early years to recognize the scent of it being burned after a service. Frigging WILD.

This is the same dealership that I had to reject the 86 twice and my wife's camry twice for piss poor paint work. Wife's car is going back because we can see sanding marks in the paint and the 86 needs to go back because I've found more fish eyes in the paint that I missed.

I've been using this dealership for years, steller place in the past. I think I bought my first of many many cars in 07 and I currently own 3 toyotas. It's the only toyota dealership near-by and I'm debating selling them all and changing brands. If I can't trust them for basic services or repairs then I can't have them working on my cars.

· Registered
3,324 Posts
I THINK the tech cleaned the motor then reported no oil leak then tried to blame the bodyshop when called on it.

Another oddity is the very distinct smell of fuel system cleaner that the car had on the short drive home.
I would say these two statements are related.

· Registered
3,324 Posts
Na, parts cleaner dosent smell like the fuel system cleaner that they run your engines on nor would it be able to be in the exhaust after being sprayed hours earlier.
Who knows what they sprayed on the engine to remove the oil stains.

· Registered
2022 GR86 6AT Base Steel
753 Posts
Sorry to hear the hassle and problems. Most of us have been in similar situations and it sucks! That is oil in that photo. Yeah, It is hard to trust anyone anymore. The oil filter isn’t that close. Dribble? Looks like spray lol. Just keep and eye on it. Keep us posted.

· Premium Member
167 Posts
It gets better.

I dropped it off for the leak and I get a call.

"Our tech cannot find a leak, the engine has no oil leaks or signs of oil leaks"

So I emailed the photos of the leak... a short time later I get a call.

"We found your leak, it's coolant. The body shop disconnected some hoses on the engine when they were working on it. We cleaned it and you can pick it up any time"

I about lost my shit. First off, It was oil. I tasted it and it had no flavor.😋 Secondly WHY is the bodyshop taking apart my damn motor when they were replacing a dented fender!

At this point I called their GM. The GM pulled the car around and the best that he can tell the service tech dribbled oil from the filter on to the motor when the oil was changed recently.

I have a feeling somebody is going to have some explaining to do. I THINK the tech cleaned the motor then reported no oil leak then tried to blame the bodyshop when called on it.

Another oddity is the very distinct smell of fuel system cleaner that the car had on the short drive home. I think they may have mistakenly did a fuel service. Can't prove it but I've done enough of those in my early years to recognize the scent of it being burned after a service. Frigging WILD.

This is the same dealership that I had to reject the 86 twice and my wife's camry twice for piss poor paint work. Wife's car is going back because we can see sanding marks in the paint and the 86 needs to go back because I've found more fish eyes in the paint that I missed.

I've been using this dealership for years, steller place in the past. I think I bought my first of many many cars in 07 and I currently own 3 toyotas. It's the only toyota dealership near-by and I'm debating selling them all and changing brands. If I can't trust them for basic services or repairs then I can't have them working on my cars.
This entire ordeal is why i will NEVER fucking let a dealership touch my car. Unless it's something I genuinely don't really care about.

Call me crazy, but the 24,000 miles of free service you get isn't worth the headache and stress of some underpaid idiot messing with your car lol, nor are those OEM recommended oil intervals any good IMO to begin with. DIY or small shops for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts