Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome to the Toyota GR86 Forum!

This thread is for any first-time posters to introduce themselves and give a small description of who they are, as well as any further details they wish to include. We would also like to remind everyone to fill out their profile by uploading an avatar and to fill out the signature section. By doing this, our goal is to help establish a greater sense of community among GR86 owners and enthusiasts. Alternatively, you can create your own dedicated introduction thread as many have done already!

Joining us so far:
Hello from the Netherlands

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome @DQ Tiny!
What is the 86/BRZ scene currently like in the Netherlands?
Which one are you planning to get?
BRZ/GT 86 more or less failed in the Netherlands. Our system is very unkind to cars producing a lot of CO2 so when you buy one new you really get taxed heavily. When BRZ/86 came out prices were already high in 2012 and they only went up. However I scored a really nice BRZ in 2014 with only 2200 km on the odo even though it was one and a half years old. Still own it and really enjoy it but I would love to go for the next model 86 (BRZ not coming to Europe).
I think there’s only about 15-30 BRZ ‘s in the Netherlands (newly registered ones; don’t know about imports) .
Keeping my fingers crossed for those CO2 numbers and otherwise maybe a young second hand one from Germany when the time is ripe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi all,
Bought my first Subaru in 1999, an Impreza Turbo. Really loved it, affordable and practical. Got rid of it in 2012. Should have kept it a little while longer but had some issues with it. Since I knew GT86/BRZ was coming I figured I’d get a boring family car and set my sights on a BRZ/ GT86. Ofcourse when the release came it was a lot more expensive then initially thought so I held off for a while. About one and a half years after the release in the Netherlands I bought a really nice BRZ with only about 2200km on it. Looked absolutely new. It was only the second serious buying attempt.
Did a few modifications; infotainment (put a Panasonic in with nav and a pair of decent speakers I’ve never used). Did an ECU tune with Milltek exhaust and P&L header to fix torque dip, gain some power and had a bigger damper fixed since I don’t like noise.
O yeah. Got rid of the ridiculous ‘snorkle’ feeding intake noise into the cabin.
Best investment was my Intrax 1K2 suspension. Intrax is a company around the corner here and they built the coilovers for the Dutch GT86 racing cup so they know what they’re doing. Apart from that: they can give you exactly what you want. Durable stuff too.
I’ve fit some TSW 17 inch wheels with a 225 width. Upgraded to a pair of Hawk Street 5.0 Performance brake pads and I was all ready to go. Still enjoying it a lot. Got a pair of free new valve springs too. It will definitely make the next owner really happy as I’ll probably get rid of it when I can get my hands on a GR86.
Toyota never called me but when I look at the improvements they’ve made it’s like they’ve found my wish list (except for the 8000+ red line).
I would love to hear what everybody thinks about all the improvements (preferably somebody who understands Japanese and who can decipher anything from the recently uploaded video’s after the media event in Japan.
Thrilled to be here with fellow enthousiasts and keeping ears and eyes open for good suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What's up guys! I am from NJ, USA. I am anxiously waiting for the new gr86. Currently drive a Jeep was looking for a smaller and funner car which took me to the GT86. But, with the inflated prices on used cars it is worth to wait for the new version. Plus it has added power and I like the digital displays. The inside cabin needed an upgrade years ago !! Can't wait to cop my GR86.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ordered my WR Blue BRZ Limited the other day. Always wanted a twin but i went a different route for a while and ended up into off-roading for a while. Can’t wait to finally get my hands on this thing. Also, anyone know of any good roads on the FL Panhandle?

·
Administrator
57 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey all, planning to buy a 2022 BRZ, hoping to be one of the first in Western Canada. Will definitely be doing some autocross and eventually track days. It will be WRB 6spd manual, Sport Tech model. Not planning any accessories or mods yet beyond studded winter tires.....for now 😉

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi everyone. From USA here. Currently have a modded R35 Nissan GTR, and Corvette Z06. Might be selling the Corvette. I love manual cars (RWD to be specific. I want a brand new car, full warranty, decent amount of tech (love the digital display cluster- speedo and digital rpm gauge when switched to track mode, and most important, a manual, rwd, lightweight, fun to drive car that's reliable and a good daily driver. The GR86 checks all those boxes. I'm not concerned with overall speed and horsepower as I have other cars for that. I want a FUN great drivers car with a third pedal. This is it.

I was intrigued by last gen BRZ/86 and how great of a drivers car they were. I wasn't quite sold on the looks especially now compared to the new gen, as well as the torque curve drop off (that was fixed for the new gen). The new model fixes everything. I love it. Will be getting mine this year. My spec will be the Trueno Blue (it pops so much in the sunlight and reminds me of almost the same exact blue as my GF Lexus RC 350 Fsport. I do also like red, white and Pavement gray but I'll have to see them in person. I'll get in 6 speed manual, premium with upgraded seats, tires, bigger ducktail spoiler, black side mirrors and black wheels. Really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 328i
1 Posts
Hi everyone, GR86 admirer from the USA here. Currently driving a BMW 328i F30 8AT and absolutely love the car. With some light mods the car is quick and capable, but I would never say it’s a fast car though. I love the way it looks and after 4+ years of ownership I still have to take double-takes walking away after parking. I thought I would drive this car until the wheels fall off….

Until I saw the new GR86. Since getting into car tuning with the BMW I became to really appreciate the purity of a manual, NA, light weight sports car. Also this car seems like it will be one of the last of its kind going forward with OEM electrification goals for 2025.

Love the way this car looks in white and really interested to see how all the lucky first owners feel when they get their cars. Still debating if I should really take the plunge. Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello from San Diego!

I’ve been interested in the Toyobaru twins since the first generation but never serious enough to purchase one. Partly because of that infamous torque dip. Watched/read the recent reviews of the new GR-86 and BRZ and am now seriously considering one for my next car. Likely will wait a few years to see how people’s real world experience goes (thank you in advance to the early buyers!!) and then test drive both before making a decision.

Currently have a 2004 R32 that was my do everything car. Auto-x, canyon drives, hauling mtb to trails or road bike to races, weekend escapes to the mountains, and some commuting. Was building it up for track use but then went through a few major life and career changes and started needing to use it more for commuting than I’d like. Racked up a lot of miles recently and it’s due for an engine rebuild. Figured rather than trying to make one car do it all, I will sell it and buy two cars. The 86/BRZ is high up on the list to be my fun car. Little worried about the negative internet rumors regarding Subaru boxers and ringlands, overheating, and oil consumption. I am assuming that those are mostly blown out of proportion by people that poorly maintained them griping on the internet. However, I want an affordable, manual, RWD lightweight car with a responsive, rev-happy engine and these are the only modern models that offer that.

Enjoying the discussions and info I’m finding here and looking forward to learning more about these cars!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hello from San Diego!

I’ve been interested in the Toyobaru twins since the first generation but never serious enough to purchase one. Partly because of that infamous torque dip. Watched/read the recent reviews of the new GR-86 and BRZ and am now seriously considering one for my next car. Likely will wait a few years to see how people’s real world experience goes (thank you in advance to the early buyers!!) and then test drive both before making a decision.

Currently have a 2004 R32 that was my do everything car. Auto-x, canyon drives, hauling mtb to trails or road bike to races, weekend escapes to the mountains, and some commuting. Was building it up for track use but then went through a few major life and career changes and started needing to use it more for commuting than I’d like. Racked up a lot of miles recently and it’s due for an engine rebuild. Figured rather than trying to make one car do it all, I will sell it and buy two cars. The 86/BRZ is high up on the list to be my fun car. Little worried about the negative internet rumors regarding Subaru boxers and ringlands, overheating, and oil consumption. I am assuming that those are mostly blown out of proportion by people that poorly maintained them griping on the internet. However, I want an affordable, manual, RWD lightweight car with a responsive, rev-happy engine and these are the only modern models that offer that.

Enjoying the discussions and info I’m finding here and looking forward to learning more about these cars!
Welcome to the forum @jdelosboyer! Of the two cars you have a preference between the GR86 or BRZ? As for the engine, I think a lot of those complaints come from people who tune and modify their engines so much that they end up doing more harm than good.

Do you have any photos of your R32? What kind of mods have you done to it?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi everyone, GR86 admirer from the USA here. Currently driving a BMW 328i F30 8AT and absolutely love the car. With some light mods the car is quick and capable, but I would never say it’s a fast car though. I love the way it looks and after 4+ years of ownership I still have to take double-takes walking away after parking. I thought I would drive this car until the wheels fall off….

Until I saw the new GR86. Since getting into car tuning with the BMW I became to really appreciate the purity of a manual, NA, light weight sports car. Also this car seems like it will be one of the last of its kind going forward with OEM electrification goals for 2025.

Love the way this car looks in white and really interested to see how all the lucky first owners feel when they get their cars. Still debating if I should really take the plunge. Cheers!
Welcome to the forum @86_venture! Have any other cars caught your attention or is it just the GR86? Have you had your F30 since new?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the forum @jdelosboyer! Of the two cars you have a preference between the GR86 or BRZ? As for the engine, I think a lot of those complaints come from people who tune and modify their engines so much that they end up doing more harm than good.

Do you have any photos of your R32? What kind of mods have you done to it?
Thanks for the welcome [mention]R-Ozzy [/mention] !

No real preference, will really come down to how they both drive. I am leaning slightly more towards the BRZ based on the reviews claiming that it’s more predictable and stable at speed. But that is armchair racing and I won’t know until I drive them both. Would be awesome if there was a way to test them both on a track as I imagine the differences won’t be very detectable unless driven hard.

Ha! There is some irony in someone coming from a Mk4 VW being concerned about the reliability of Subaru/Toyota. Thanks though for the reassurance. I would likely only be tuning suspension, wheels, brakes with this car if anything. But it’s all hypothetical.

I’m the 4th owner of my R32 buying it back in 2013.
Mods list (off top of my head):
KW V2 coilovers, adjustable control arms, poly bushings, 25mm front and rear sway bars. Stoptech slotted rotors front and rear with Stoptech street/performance pads.
United Motorsport Haldex tune to send more torque to rear wheels. Michelin PS4S tires.

Schrick 268/260 cams and United Motorsport NA engine tune. Vibratech engine mounts. Has a K&N ‘cold’ air intake from when I bought it that probably sucks in hot air but never bothered to replace it. And the obligatory flapper mod to control the exhaust flap with a switch.

Did all of the above in the past three years. In addition a lot of preventative maintenance to address issues with the stock cooling system and timing chains. Almost all the mods done were to replace stock parts that were worn out. As mentioned original plan was to keep it longterm and track it. But it’s started to burn some oil and coolant. I’ve realized that because of that
and how I’ve constantly been replacing worn out parts that I’ve only taken it on one fun drive in the past year. Planned out a full engine rebuild with upgraded oil cooling and internals. Price was close to $10k. Made me stop and reconsider what would be the best investment of my time and money. I love the car and the Mk4 R32 will always be a favorite of mine but there’s a limit. I want something I can drive hard and enjoy without stressing about what will give out next. It is almost 18 years old at this point.

I don’t take many pictures of it so these are the best I have.
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Car Sky Wheel Vehicle

Attachments

·
Administrator
57 Posts
61 - 80 of 84 Posts