Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
So as I predicted the "mule" back in October 2020 driving along with the Mustang was in fact the GR86. It looks exactly like a lot of people predicted. No design change in the rear or the side. Interiors are identical aside from Toyota badging. So the only driving variable is how the shocks are tuned. In generation #1 the Scion/86 had more oversteer playful handling while the BRZ was more stable. So it looks like a repeat of the formula. Straightline performance should be identical. I wonder if the GR86 is going to be cheaper as in generation #1? Slightly disappointed that Toyota did not do more to differentiate. I do think from the photos I like the front styling of the 86 better.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Love it in white!
And the front end, while only slightly different than the BRZ, definitely looks more aggressive.

A few more pics I found

·
Registered
159 Posts
What's interesting is the front end design of both dictates to me what color looks best on both. In my opinion both that WRX Blue and Silver look great on the BRZ. However on the 86 Red and White seem to look great. So the front end differentiation in a way is a rather clever design move by both Toyota and Subaru. This follows a historical design move going back to generation one. The 86/BRZ was styled a little bit more aggressively back then as well. This new generation is more pronounced then generation one. Therefore certain colors reflect their design character better. Having thought for a few hours it is obvious that there was only so much money allocated in the budget to make these cars different. I would guess most of the money had to go to upgraded engine, upgraded chassis to handle the upgraded engine, interior restyle. That probably took up most of the budget right there leaving a limited budget for brand restyling. Since the front end is more the car's identity that was where the remaining budget went. Doing any more on the restyle I'm guessing would have pushed up the budget making the car more expensive then the 30-32K range Toyota and Subaru want to sell this car in. If you consider all this I think they did a great job with both cars. Not sure if I would go for the 86 over the BRZ. Again for me it would get down to color.

·
Registered
439 Posts
What's interesting is the front end design of both dictates to me what color looks best on both. In my opinion both that WRX Blue and Silver look great on the BRZ. However on the 86 Red and White seem to look great. So the front end differentiation in a way is a rather clever design move by both Toyota and Subaru. This follows a historical design move going back to generation one. The 86/BRZ was styled a little bit more aggressively back then as well. This new generation is more pronounced then generation one. Therefore certain colors reflect their design character better. Having thought for a few hours it is obvious that there was only so much money allocated in the budget to make these cars different. I would guess most of the money had to go to upgraded engine, upgraded chassis to handle the upgraded engine, interior restyle. That probably took up most of the budget right there leaving a limited budget for brand restyling. Since the front end is more the car's identity that was where the remaining budget went. Doing any more on the restyle I'm guessing would have pushed up the budget making the car more expensive then the 30-32K range Toyota and Subaru want to sell this car in. If you consider all this I think they did a great job with both cars. Not sure if I would go for the 86 over the BRZ. Again for me it would get down to color.
It's interesting how a few slight changes to the front can completely change how a color looks on a car. I'm with you about the red and blue. The blue suits the BRZ way more than the GR86 and vice versa with the red on the Toyota.

I'm sure some of it comes to how historically we associate blue with Subaru and red with Gazoo Racing but regardless it is interesting how that can affect our perception like that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
With the way they did the premier, I feel like seeing the brz in red, and the gr86 in blue would be very weird. Like, imagine the brz in that lava rage color the first gen 86 premiered in. Its almost like these cars have an identity with the color so seeing them swap would be strange. Personally I like the white on the gr86 as it makes it look softer and slimmer. The red really shows the details and lines of the body which makes it more aggressive looking which is personally not my aesthetic. Overall, I think the 1st gen looks slightly better in terms of being unique from other cars. The new generation looks a little generic with the head and tail lights used, but overall I think it looks more mature compared to the first gen

·
Registered
98 Posts
Looks like the GR86 is going to have black colored side mirror caps as standard. If it does, I hope it will have some sort of carbon fiber design element.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it doesn't I'm sure someone will offer an aftermarket option that does.
Or TRD/Gazoo Racing will make it available as part of their performance line of parts.

If they can pull this off with the new Supra then there's no reason to leave us out...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts