Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The headlights and front bumper looks to be from the 1st gen, but it has vents on the front fenders as well as huge ones on the quarter panel.

Is this related to the 2nd gen 86 or maybe a test mule for long rumored MR-2?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well this seems possible this may be in fact the Toyota 86 if this in fact the real deal. Clear differences between this and the BRZ. Obviously the scalloped side panels, the raised center part of the hood where front nose is more "Supra" like as the side grill under the headlights is more prominent then on the BRZ. I also see the more obvious side sill extensions and front sill extensions. The headlights are more reminiscent of the current generation which leads me to think this is an 86 versus a hotted up version of the new BRZ. Also in the greenhouse there is no Hoffmeister kink aft of the B pillar as there is in the BRZ. But the main reson I think it is the the new 86 is because the fenders are the same flatter versions on the BRZ. The overall silhouette looks to be the same as the BRZ as is the rear deck. Further it does not make sense that Subaru would change the front headlights or that rear window aft of the B pillar from the new BRZ to make an STI version. This seems logical that this is a new 86 with more aggressive scoops and sill extensions to differentiate it from the BRZ. The scallop side makes the rear fenders seem wider. I think this is an optical illusion. I think both cars are the same with which means they are the same width as the current BRZ/86. So in my opinion what we have here is a more aggressively styled Toyota 86 then the new BRZ. Its a matter of taste what you prefer. A little more conservative(BRZ) or more flamboyant (86). I would guess engine power and torque is the same with slight differences in suspension tuning as per the current 2 models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1st gen Toyota 86 with what looks like a Rocket Dancer front bumper and scoops that would only make sense in a mid-engined car. Even the most exaggerated fake aero in factory FR cars don't have side vents as ballsy as that. Also, Toyota has no reason to put this much camo on a second-gen 86 when Subaru already showed the world what it's pretty much going to look like. If this car belongs to Toyota, then it is most likely an MR test mule

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well of course we are only looking at this from the side. This could be a test mule. However there seems to be more defined pieces than what you would typically find on a test mule. For example why would there be what appears to be a defined 3 part front grill? Why would Toyota go to the extreme on a test mule to have a scalloped door extending into both front and rear fenders. While this type of scalloping is something to be found on a mid-engined design it is clear that Subaru and Toyota are incorporating design cues from a few different cars(this has already been brought up on the new 2022 BRZ). The only thing that seems a little unusual to me are the front and side sill extensions. Typically that would be found on an ST version of the BRZ or perhaps a possibly hotted up TRD version of the 86. Otherwise the scalloped doors, the 3 part front grill, the different headlamps, the slightly raised section of hood in the center as well as the slightly different designed quarter window would indicate a logical type of design difference to indicate an 86. A mule would not have all these defined design cues. The original mule that came out a month or so before the BRZ reveal, I think, reflects "both" cars. What we are seeing here would look to me like a final design for the 86.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would not be surprised if this is the new 86. I am not shocked that toyota wants to put oversized side vents since they have a history of over styling some of their sports cars. It does not make sense for this to be a MR2 test mule, idk how the subaru platform could accommodate a rear engine rear wheel drive set up.
So if this is the GR86, lets hope the side vents are not so dramatic when it hits production 😝

·
Registered
149 Posts
I do think that Toyota wants to make the 86 deliberately more dramatic than the BRZ. The side scalloping is definitely more aggressive looking. That's why I think its there to stay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Those "different headlamps" are OEM JDM headlights on the pre-facelift 86, the "3 part front grill" is a bumper offered by Fujimura Auto called "Rocket Dancer", and there does not need to be an engine in the back for them to test side vents. Take BMW as an example - they had an 8 series with vents leading to the rear and dismissed rumours of the prototype being mid-engined.

There's no way the GR86 is getting anything beyond different bumpers, lights, and interior bits from the recently revealed BRZ. They will look nearly identical.

·
Registered
149 Posts
ukai18-You could be completely correct. So you think this is just a test mule from Fujimura Auto for the 2022 BRZ or restyle of the current BRZ/86. Being that Fujimura Auto is an after market company why the camouflage? You expect that from a mainstream car maker. You don't necessarily figure that from an aftermarket supplier. So what your implying is that Fujimura Auto took the current 86/BRZ and simply restyled it to look like the new car. Hmmn. Interesting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's where I'm confused. If it's Toyota's test mule then they could be testing aero for a mid-engined car. I don't see why they would use Fujimura's bumper specifically though. On the other hand, if it's Fujimura's prototype body kit, I don't see why they would need so much camouflage, as you said.

All I'm implying is that this mule probably has nothing to do with the second generation 86.

I remember Tetsuya Tada mentioning something about three sports cars being brought back to Toyota's lineup, including the Supra and GR86, so many people assumed the third one would be a hybrid MR2 successor or new Celica.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I also remember Tada talking about this and there has been speculation about a sports car below the 86/BRZ. But I have to say that I still question going with a 3 price tiered sportscar program is not necessarily the best financial move in today's market. Where is the profit margin in a 20 to 25K mid engined sportscar in todays market. Compared to mainstream vehicles the market is "razor thin" for sportscars. Further you've got the hot hatch market that is still around as well as the hot sub 30K sedan market that still exists. So unless the BRZ/86 price range is significantly higher(say mid 30's) where is there room for a lower priced sportscar? Even if the BRZ/86 comes in between 30 and 32K re Toyota and Subaru making money 20 to 25K? Its one thing if you are Honda and you are doing a sporty FWD Hatch or sedan. You are taking the same platform and splitting it into many different models using the same engine. But then again Toyota did come out with the GR Yaris. However any hot hatch is a more practical proposition then a mid engined sports car in terms of volume sales. Ditto for a front engined sports car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really do hope, that this will be the new GR86, looks very promising. I believe that Toyota will be different in comparison to the Subaru BRZ, otherwise, why should the car be so wrapped in camouflage...?
And I also wish the new Toyota will be sold as well here in Germany...the new BRZ won’t.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a feeling that the only way they can sell the 86 in the Euro market would be with a different engine. On the 2.4 engine the turbo connects to the bottom of the engine block on the larger Subaru Accent. If the 1.8 turbo in the Levorg is set up differently perhaps that engine with a turbo would be able to pass Euro emissions. I don't think the N/A 2.4 will.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The more I look at this picture the more it seems that this is just a body kit for the current 86/BRZ and not the 2022 86. The give away clue I now realize it the rear c pillar window. On the 2022 BRZ there is a "Hoffmeister" like kink on it. I would think the cost to restyle this green house style detail seems like it would be expensive to do. It is easier to play around with front and rear ends as well as fenders. This whole thing seems like simply a body kit grafted on to a current 86/BRZ. I'm just not understanding the camouflage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, this angle really explains everything. Definitely not the Fujimura bumper and very aftermarket-looking. Still don’t quite understand the camo though

·
Registered
149 Posts
Seeing the car from this angle I'm completely convinced this is a body kit for the current car. Whether its for the Tokyo Auto Salon or not this has absolutely no design bearing on the new 86. I also heard that the new 86 is delayed a couple of months. Bottom line we really don't know what the 86 is going to look like. The only thing we have to go on is this. The overall shape of the car is exactly the same as the BRZ with a guaranteed different front and rear ends. There may be some slight variation on the doors or cladding. The interior should be almost identical as will the mechanical's. Other than that were just going to have to wait and see.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts