Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone that has it, does anyone else find the obstacle avoidance system to be extremely aggressive? Makes me regret the premium model.

It constantly thinks turning cars in front of me are obstacles, even when they're mostly already out of the road. It also slammed on the brakes on the freeway when a jackass cut me off. F***ing scary every time.

Is there any way to permanently turn it off? It appears that if you turn it off, when you turn the car back on it re-enables.

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Premium Neptune Blue
185 Posts
I only find it frustrating when you're accelerating behind another car so you can switch lanes and go around them. I appreciate it, it's one of those things that you don't appreciate until it actually saves you from running somebody over or stops you in front of a crash.

·
Registered
GR86 MT Pavement
779 Posts
As far as I know it's on on the automatic. My minivan which is honda has that shit and I turn it off unless I'm really tired. It's also nice for eating during a road trip.

Don't drive that far in my GR is glad I don't have anything besides a light when I go to change lanes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If it’s intervening that much while driving where you need to turn it off you might want to look into either getting eyesight recalibrated or changing driving habits because it really is not that aggressive. It has two levels, beeping and applying brakes. Beeping serves as a warning and it only brakes if it thinks a collision is imminent. If that’s happening you might be trailing cars a little too close to begin with imo

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I haven't experienced the brakes slamming. I think you can turn that off but keep the warning.

I've noticed the same thing, it doesn't like accelerating to pass if you're too close up to the car ahead, and it doesn't like when you ride up on someone who's reading the Sunday paper as they execute a lazy turn.

It might seem aggressive until it happens in the rain or slick. Then that extra warning might make a difference.

Reactions: Wayward67

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's very aggressive on mine and I've had it tap the brakes before, drives me insane. It's annoying to turn off as well since you have to drive into the cars settings every time you start the car. Not a big deal but I wish it had a setting to lower the sensitivity like every other car I've driven with a pre-collision system.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's very aggressive on mine and I've had it tap the brakes before, drives me insane. It's annoying to turn off as well since you have to drive into the cars settings every time you start the car. Not a big deal but I wish it had a setting to lower the sensitivity like every other car I've driven with a pre-collision system.
It’s only uses the brakes when it thinks a collision is coming so I would look into getting the eyesight recalibrated. Like it using brakes should be a last resort thing

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine is definitely not aggressive at all. I've only ever had it beep at me 2-3 times since getting the car in January, it has never done any braking. It's so passive that I was even wondering if it was working at all since there were a couple times where I thought it should beep and it did not.

·
Registered
2022 Neptune GR86- Base
68 Posts
I find it to be pretty annoying honestly. The lane departure isn't that big of a deal but on some roads I take it registers you out because of bad paint job on the road. It's annoying but I figure it will be useful if I ever need it? The pre collision stuff to me has seemed pretty aggressive but only because I know I'm capable of stopping in time and the car freaks out. I wish I could explain to the computer I've been doing this a long time and know how to drive but it doesn't listen. I do try to appreciate that there may be that one time that it actually saves me but I waver on whether it's worth all the false alarms. Also does having the pre collision happen report to toyota? I could see how it could make it seem you're a bad driver if they just read how many times it goes off. I am leaving it on but I agree it's annoying

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Perhaps my problem is that I fully disconnected the speaker module behind the console to disable all the annoying beeping. Worked great for eliminating all the nags (seatbelts et al), but at the cost of not being warned that the car is about to slam on the brakes.

Sigh. I guess I'll plug it back in since no one has a better solution, other than me driving less aggressively (seems like a common complaint though). Wish it was adjustable, since the car is a targeted at and marketed to spirited drivers looking for driving excitement.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Perhaps my problem is that I fully disconnected the speaker module behind the console to disable all the annoying beeping. Worked great for eliminating all the nags (seatbelts et al), but at the cost of not being warned that the car is about to slam on the brakes.

Sigh. I guess I'll plug it back in since no one has a better solution, other than me driving less aggressively (seems like a common complaint though). Wish it was adjustable, since the car is a targeted at and marketed to spirited drivers looking for driving excitement.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts