Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just reading one of my old Hemmings Sports Car & Exotic magazines (RIP) and there was an article about a 1972 Datsun/Nissan 240Z. In looking at the greenhouse glass and general side profile of that that car, along with its overall compact size, I concluded that the GR86 is really the spiritual successor of the original Z, much more so than the 400Z. I think that it's pretty amusing that, in effect, Toyota/Subaru came up with the successor, and not Nissan, to as large an extent. I've seen one video comparing the GR86 to the 944 Turbo, and there are some similarities I suppose, but I think the original Z is a better comparison, especially when you consider the original Z was an affordable, lightweight, rear-drive sports car, which is something the 944 Turbo never was. Anyways, just some random thoughts about the GR86. Suffice it to say, I haven't been as obsessed with a car since the original Toyota MR2 was introduced, one of which I bought new, and another of which I still own.

Okay, so a few other observations, and a few questions about the GR86.

Has anyone else noticed that the exhaust tips on the US model are recessed further in than the ones on the Japanese models? My suspicion about this is that for whatever reason, Toyota US decided they would be less likely to strike the ground on a steep entry/exit. I can't think of any other reason to do it, other than they think we get in more rear-end accidents than Japanese drivers (could be true), and so they are less vulnerable recessed as they are.

I believe the GR86 side mirrors are all black, at least on the premium, whereas on the top BRZ they are painted to match. Just an observation; I plan on a Track Bred GR and like the look of the black mirrors over matching ones.

I prefer the grayish finish of the Subaru 18" wheel over the black finish of the Toyota wheel. It will probably be pretty easy to acquire these and swap them after the BRZ guys start upgrading their wheels. Myself, I'll be happy with the OE 18s and will run the black ones for a while to see if I come to terms with the look.

Questions some of you may be able to answer:

- Does the car come with synthetic as the factory oil fill? I assume it does, but haven't seen anything confirming this.

- Timing belt or chain? I'm assuming chain as it seems that is what all the newer generation boxers appear to use.

- Does anyone know if car is already pre-wired for the accessory subwoofer? I ask because I don't necessarily want some dealership dude taking parts of the interior apart just to wire it. And yeah, I know aftermarket always sounds better, but I'd be okay with the OEM system + the subwoofer.

I welcome any comments about the observations, and thanks in advance for answering any questions you may know the answer to.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi, I added the sub to my package and the dealer info came up that it plugs in to a pre-wired receptacle and stows to an existing pre-mount so no dealer install charges according to him.
Nice that you knew the original Z and have the MR2. I didn't own either but drove both back in the day. The Z was a rocket and the MR was like a go-kart around corners. You cold drive the Z for hours but the MR would wear you out from tight suspension. That's my recollections anyway.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The GR86 has black mirrors (both trims afaik) and BRZ are all color matched. The US spec exhaust tips are recessed, no idea why. The sub woofer is supposed to be easily disconnected and removed for track days

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Joey and Maverik, good to hear the sub is pretty much plug-n-play.

Joey, I don't mind the stiff ride of the MR2 so much as the wind noise and engine noise. At interstate speeds the engine is turning around 4200 rpm and it gets a little deafening. Funny, I never noticed any of that when I had an MR2 at 20 years old, haha. In any case, I know the GR86 won't exactly be a Lexus, but I expect it will be a good deal more refined and less punishing than the MR2.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think both the comparison to the Z and to the 944 are warranted. I think the usefulness of comparing it to the Z (or to the AE86) is in the similarity in the philosophy and character of the designs. The Z was also a lightweight 2.4 FR, liked for its great performance at a low cost. It was pretty much the first Japanese sports car in the US and most of it's competition were very different cars. The 944 however, existed in a vast landscape of many other competitively priced sports car platforms. Which is where I think that comparison is useful.

Another comparison I was chuckling about the other day: one of the videos about the Toyobaru twins i watched recently mentioned how the car has an identity crisis (FRS, BRZ, GT86, GR86, etc). It reminded me of the OG hachi roku, which I'd argue also had an 'identity crisis'. Or at least a thousand names, variations and trim levels. Eight-Six, Hachi Roku, Trueno, Levin, Corolla. DX, SR5, GT-S. Lift back or coupe? 🤪

Anywho. I assumed that the Subwoofer was plug and play in the premium, but not sure about the base model because the premium comes with an amplifier, and the base does not. 🤷‍♂️

I also love me some Mister 2. My first car was a 1974 Karman Ghia. My second car was a black 1989 NA Aw11. I learned to drive in the Ghia, but I learned to drive in the MR2. I miss that car. Rippin' around the back roads flying thru the gears. Autocrossed it which was a blast.. had a killer sound system in it.. MB quart speakers and tweeters, Alpine head unit with an 8 inch sealed sub in a small wedge box that barely fit behind the passenger's seat. It was ridiculously great! When good ol' Mister 2 died, I bought my dream car, the coolest and best and sexiest car ever made, 1993 Mazda RX7. And while that car was and is amazing in every way, I couldn't drive it anywhere close to it's limit on the back roads (still a blast), I'd have needed a racetrack. Which I didn't have access to at the time.

It made me really appreciate the role that cars like the BRZ/86 and the MR2 and the AE86 and the old Z and the 944 play, and how much fun they are to just drive. And drive. 😄

·
Registered
669 Posts
I think both the comparison to the Z and to the 944 are warranted. I think the usefulness of comparing it to the Z (or to the AE86) is in the similarity in the philosophy and character of the designs. The Z was also a lightweight 2.4 FR, liked for its great performance at a low cost. It was pretty much the first Japanese sports car in the US and most of it's competition were very different cars. The 944 however, existed in a vast landscape of many other competitively priced sports car platforms. Which is where I think that comparison is useful.

Another comparison I was chuckling about the other day: one of the videos about the Toyobaru twins i watched recently mentioned how the car has an identity crisis (FRS, BRZ, GT86, GR86, etc). It reminded me of the OG hachi roku, which I'd argue also had an 'identity crisis'. Or at least a thousand names, variations and trim levels. Eight-Six, Hachi Roku, Trueno, Levin, Corolla. DX, SR5, GT-S. Lift back or coupe? 🤪

Anywho. I assumed that the Subwoofer was plug and play in the premium, but not sure about the base model because the premium comes with an amplifier, and the base does not. 🤷‍♂️

I also love me some Mister 2. My first car was a 1974 Karman Ghia. My second car was a black 1989 NA Aw11. I learned to drive in the Ghia, but I learned to drive in the MR2. I miss that car. Rippin' around the back roads flying thru the gears. Autocrossed it which was a blast.. had a killer sound system in it.. MB quart speakers and tweeters, Alpine head unit with an 8 inch sealed sub in a small wedge box that barely fit behind the passenger's seat. It was ridiculously great! When good ol' Mister 2 died, I bought my dream car, the coolest and best and sexiest car ever made, 1993 Mazda RX7. And while that car was and is amazing in every way, I couldn't drive it anywhere close to it's limit on the back roads (still a blast), I'd have needed a racetrack. Which I didn't have access to at the time.

It made me really appreciate the role that cars like the BRZ/86 and the MR2 and the AE86 and the old Z and the 944 play, and how much fun they are to just drive. And drive. 😄
Well Eight-Six/Hachi Roku are just slang names for the whole generation using the chassis code, kinda like the Japanese referencing the 86/brz as "ZN6". The model name is actually Corolla Levin/GT/GTS with the exception of the Sprinter Trueno. The Levin/Trueno name (and AE chassis line) eventually went fwd until they were finally snuffed out in 99 I believe.

The thing I love about the 86 is its honestly its OWN thing while paying homage to the AE86 chassis, 2000GT styling, and Sports 800 boxer. Today the GR86 is so refined for an affordable sports car that its going to have its own following and be a legend in its own right. The AE86 generation Corolla was always a sleeper "hot" hatch that was underrated in its time because it was a sporty compact commuter car (Like the Civic Si, Integra etc) . The GT/GR86 is a thoroughbred sleek sports car comparably to the Z, MR2 etc.

·
Registered
669 Posts
That's where my money was supposed to be going to until I got wind that the GR86 was coming out.

Been sitting on a SR5 => GTS conversion project for a few years.
My man, same here sitting at my sisters house so my wife won’t get mad haven’t even taken good pictures of it because it’s everywhere 😂😂😂

That’s actually the main reason why I originally owned a FRS and had a order for the GR86. I knew it might sit.

But being a old Corolla owner you have to see Toyota painted themselves into a corner with their branding. You got the regular Corolla hatch with a two tone paint scheme and the 86 has renamed Subaru colors.(Trueno Blue)

·
Registered
123 Posts
My man, same here sitting at my sisters house so my wife won’t get mad haven’t even taken good pictures of it because it’s everywhere 😂😂😂

That’s actually the main reason why I originally owned a FRS and had a order for the GR86. I knew it might sit.

But being a old Corolla owner you have to see Toyota painted themselves into a corner with their branding. You got the regular Corolla hatch with a two tone paint scheme and the 86 has renamed Subaru colors.(Trueno Blue)
Lmao 😂

Yes the branding is questionable. But I'm going to enjoy the hell out of having two totally different white 86s in the garage. 😅😆

Two cars with twenty names.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Lmao 😂

Yes the branding is questionable. But I'm going to enjoy the hell out of having two totally different white 86s in the garage. 😅😆
Make no mistake I love the GR86.

I was talking to another AE86 owner about how awesome it is we’re about to have a GR Corolla and 86 in the same showroom, talked about how great the advertising with Keiichi Tsuchiya was and things. Then he asked me how the hell are they going to advertise the Corolla because the most memorable one in it’s history to most people IS the AE86 and it’s 4AG. Which is a good point.

Overall though the GR86 is a whole other beast. I’m glad it’s getting it’s own following. If I end up seeing one in person who knows.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Make no mistake I love the GR86.

I was talking to another AE86 owner about how awesome it is we’re about to have a GR Corolla and 86 in the same showroom, talked about how great the advertising with Keiichi Tsuchiya was and things. Then he asked me how the hell are they going to advertise the Corolla because the most memorable one in it’s history to most people IS the AE86 and it’s 4AG. Which is a good point.

Overall though the GR86 is a whole other beast. I’m glad it’s getting it’s own following. If I end up seeing one in person who knows.
Cartoon Muscle Organ Gesture Poster

I had to. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most people nowadays won't remember it, but probably the best alternative for mining the Corolla's history would be the FX16 GT-S sold in the US from 1987-88. It had the same motor as the AW11 & AE86. It never really caught on here as the GTI already owned that market, but it was a very good car as I recall. I test drove one brand new out of curiousity back when I had my first MR2. Just think of it -- Toyota had a rear-driver, a mid-engine sports car and a front-drive hatchback using that same 4AGE motor.
Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive side marker light

There were also some follow-on generations of the sporty front drive, transverse engine Corolla, called, I believe, Corolla GT, in Europe anyways. I recall seeing some of these in the UK when I was there in the early 2000s.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Again, it's really a shame these never caught on in the US -- I suppose the stigma of it being a hatchback, and, its lack of 'prestige' -vs- the GTI were what doomed it here. Toyota could get people interested in these all over again if it used a few little flashbacks referencing the long history of hot hatch Corollas around the world, if not in the US, but I'd be shocked if anyone at Toyota tried to reference the history, let alone even remembered this brief foray into the hot hatch market in the US.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Most people nowadays won't remember it, but probably the best alternative for mining the Corolla's history would be the FX16 GT-S sold in the US from 1987-88. It had the same motor as the AW11 & AE86. It never really caught on here as the GTI already owned that market, but it was a very good car as I recall. I test drove one brand new out of curiousity back when I had my first MR2. Just think of it -- Toyota had a rear-driver, a mid-engine sports car and a front-drive hatchback using that same 4AGE motor.
View attachment 3164

There were also some follow-on generations of the sporty front drive, transverse engine Corolla, called, I believe, Corolla GT, in Europe anyways. I recall seeing some of these in the UK when I was there in the early 2000s.
View attachment 3165

Again, it's really a shame these never caught on in the US -- I suppose the stigma of it being a hatchback, and, its lack of 'prestige' -vs- the GTI were what doomed it here. Toyota could get people interested in these all over again if it used a few little flashbacks referencing the long history of hot hatch Corollas around the world, if not in the US, but I'd be shocked if anyone at Toyota tried to reference the history, let alone even remembered this brief foray into the hot hatch market in the US.
Yeah but like you said the only issue is people don’t remember it too well. I agree The Corolla has a really rich history, just the only car people care about is the AE86 Trueno/Levin Corolla. Funny thing was in the 80s people overlooked the AE86 chassis too until the animes came out and drifting became bigger stateside/globally.

that’s why when the FRS/GT86/BRZ first came out I was happy they used 3 cars as a base to market the car, where America just made retro throwbacks to old cars.

But eventually Toyota threw out everything else that inspired the GR86 and just went in heavy with the AE86 which painted them into a corner in ways.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All good points, Jeonsa. It's all just fun speculation on my part. It will be interesting to see how they market the GR Corolla in any event.

As far as the GR86, all I can say is, hallelujah it exists. It's just so perfect in so many ways at least in my opinion.

·
Registered
669 Posts
All good points, Jeonsa. It's all just fun speculation on my part. It will be interesting to see how they market the GR Corolla in any event.

As far as the GR86, all I can say is, hallelujah it exists. It's just so perfect in so many ways at least in my opinion.
GR86 is one of the best things to happen to the car community. I really do love the car. When I got married I had my little FRS/86

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Joey and Maverik, good to hear the sub is pretty much plug-n-play.

Joey, I don't mind the stiff ride of the MR2 so much as the wind noise and engine noise. At interstate speeds the engine is turning around 4200 rpm and it gets a little deafening. Funny, I never noticed any of that when I had an MR2 at 20 years old, haha. In any case, I know the GR86 won't exactly be a Lexus, but I expect it will be a good deal more refined and less punishing than the MR2.
I remember it like as a go-kart with airless hard rubber tires. It was a dream on smooth asphalt with no traffic way back when.
Its funny that my favorite ride is a FWD stick 1999 Rav4 and I wear over ear headphones to quiet it down. I changed the 5th her to lower rpm by 400 and removed the back seats and tire etc to lighten it and rebuilt the head. There something wonderful about mechanical steering and wide open sight with big windows and high seating.
It will be interesting to see if the GR can be driven cross country at my 62 yr old age. Supposedly it is noisy and rough and noisy and add that I intend to HKS supercharger upgrade but only if I can do that without adding a louder exhaust.
BTW, the 240Z I spoke of was a rare Seahawks Edition and I remember that it was smooth as silk at 120 mph and seemed interested in going faster.
Oh for the good ole'days when roads were open and free and not so many stops and interchanges. Back when a ticket didn't cost you thousands over a few years upping insurance and affecting credit scoring etc.
Cheer!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Joey, good to hear I'm not the only old fart here, though at 57 I'm just a pup compared to you!

Totally agree with you on some of the older vehicles like the RAV4 you have. I have a 2003 Honda Element for more utilitarian duties and have worn motorcycle earplugs on longer trips due to all the road and wind noise. I run winter tires year-round on that thing (I live up in the snow belt), but switching to Michelin X-Ice from the General Altimax Arctic tires has made it a lot more bearable, as they as a quiet as many all-seasons. In any case, I understand your comment about sitting higher up -- it sure is easier on my beat up old body. But still, I enjoy sitting down amongst the scenery in a sports car whenever I can.

When I was in high school, a friend's stepdad had a nice 240Z; one day we 'borrowed' it when stepdad was out of town and ripped around in it for a few hours. We didn't take it up to highway speeds, but I thought it was about the coolest damn car I'd ever been in. Where I grew up everyone was into muscle cars and American iron in general, but I guess I was an oddball in that I liked the Japanese stuff from the beginning. They just had this integrated, engineered 'feel' to them that was missing in the domestic cars, which just felt heavy and inert to me.

By the way, last year I got the first speeding ticket I'd had in about 20 years here in North Dakota. 59 in a 45 -- this was out in the country in the middle of nowhere, mind you -- the fine was $14, one dollar for each mph above the speed limit. Since less than 15mph over is only one point on your license, in ND it doesn't get reported to your insurance, since that requires more than 2 points. I'm always more careful when I drive out of state because I know some states are very harsh with fines and points. There's not a hell of a lot to do here culturally, but at least you have a nice cushion on the speeding fines.(y)

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Track Bred Premium MT
772 Posts
I was just reading one of my old Hemmings Sports Car & Exotic magazines (RIP) and there was an article about a 1972 Datsun/Nissan 240Z. In looking at the greenhouse glass and general side profile of that that car, along with its overall compact size, I concluded that the GR86 is really the spiritual successor of the original Z, much more so than the 400Z. I think that it's pretty amusing that, in effect, Toyota/Subaru came up with the successor, and not Nissan, to as large an extent. I've seen one video comparing the GR86 to the 944 Turbo, and there are some similarities I suppose, but I think the original Z is a better comparison, especially when you consider the original Z was an affordable, lightweight, rear-drive sports car, which is something the 944 Turbo never was. Anyways, just some random thoughts about the GR86. Suffice it to say, I haven't been as obsessed with a car since the original Toyota MR2 was introduced, one of which I bought new, and another of which I still own.

Okay, so a few other observations, and a few questions about the GR86.

Has anyone else noticed that the exhaust tips on the US model are recessed further in than the ones on the Japanese models? My suspicion about this is that for whatever reason, Toyota US decided they would be less likely to strike the ground on a steep entry/exit. I can't think of any other reason to do it, other than they think we get in more rear-end accidents than Japanese drivers (could be true), and so they are less vulnerable recessed as they are.

I believe the GR86 side mirrors are all black, at least on the premium, whereas on the top BRZ they are painted to match. Just an observation; I plan on a Track Bred GR and like the look of the black mirrors over matching ones.

I prefer the grayish finish of the Subaru 18" wheel over the black finish of the Toyota wheel. It will probably be pretty easy to acquire these and swap them after the BRZ guys start upgrading their wheels. Myself, I'll be happy with the OE 18s and will run the black ones for a while to see if I come to terms with the look.

Questions some of you may be able to answer:

- Does the car come with synthetic as the factory oil fill? I assume it does, but haven't seen anything confirming this.

- Timing belt or chain? I'm assuming chain as it seems that is what all the newer generation boxers appear to use.

- Does anyone know if car is already pre-wired for the accessory subwoofer? I ask because I don't necessarily want some dealership dude taking parts of the interior apart just to wire it. And yeah, I know aftermarket always sounds better, but I'd be okay with the OEM system + the subwoofer.

I welcome any comments about the observations, and thanks in advance for answering any questions you may know the answer to.
The black wheels are on the base GR86. The Premium has bronze wheels.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts