Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Australia is a key market for performance cars like this so I'm not all too surprised.

@Blighty what is Aussie pricing supposed to be like?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Australia is a key market for performance cars like this so I'm not all too surprised.

@Blighty what is Aussie pricing supposed to be like?
They haven't confirmed pricing or specifications. Its a big update with a new engine and almost the entire body and much of the interior, so I'm assuming its going to be a whack.

Anywhere from 2-4k I think. Which in Australian dollars puts it at about 37k to 39k list price for the current base BRZ, over 40k after driveaway expenses.

We don't know the specs yet though. Last time Subaru only had a middle spec at launch in Australia - with the uprated 17 tires, but downrated interior.

Toyota had both a bottom spec 16 tires with crappy interior, and a top spec 17 with all the bells and whistles.

So it will be interesting to see if we only get the 18 inch BRZ this year, the interior specification will also be interesting.

·
Registered
499 Posts
They haven't confirmed pricing or specifications. Its a big update with a new engine and almost the entire body and much of the interior, so I'm assuming its going to be a whack.

Anywhere from 2-4k I think. Which in Australian dollars puts it at about 37k to 39k list price for the current base BRZ, over 40k after driveaway expenses.

We don't know the specs yet though. Last time Subaru only had a middle spec at launch in Australia - with the uprated 17 tires, but downrated interior.

Toyota had both a bottom spec 16 tires with crappy interior, and a top spec 17 with all the bells and whistles.

So it will be interesting to see if we only get the 18 inch BRZ this year, the interior specification will also be interesting.
Is over 40k out the door at least reasonable compared to other sports cars available in Australia?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is over 40k out the door at least reasonable compared to other sports cars available in Australia?
The 86 is a hard to compare against owing to its fairly unique market proposition of a low cost performance 2+2 RWD... as we all know.

Its in a tier on its own right now, with compeition above and below it.

Above it you have the WRX base is 45.5k, the cheapest 2.0L MX-5 is 46.5k and the cheapest i30N is 45.5k

Below it you have the Fiesta ST, which is 35k drive away, the Polo GTI around 35k, and I assume the i20N will also be around that same 35-38k driveaway when it releases this year.

I assume Subaru won't want to price the base more than the WRX base, and sales pressure from the target market (single professional, very small families second car) will be from the lower segment, meaning they can't stray too far from its current pricing.

Why is it a key market?
Sales and ease of manufacturing pipeline - after the US and Japan, we were the largest market for the 86 (well outpunching UK, Canada, and other markets considering our population), and we have the same driveline 'handedness' and emissions standards (pretty much) as Japan. We also have a free trade agreement with japan that covers car import tarrifs, and shipping costs are lower owing to our proximity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts