Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

New Toyota GR86 Rendering

17K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  apex 
#1 ·
Recently, spy photos emerged of the new GR86 testing. Today, we have filled in the shape and illustrated how the new GR86 will likely look with what should be the most accurate rendering yet. Which color is your favorite?

new-86-rendering

new-brz-rendering

second-gen-86-rendering

2022-toyota-gr86-renderings

2022-gt86-rendering

brz sti rendering

2023-86-rendering

See less See more
#22 ·
If the weight is kept around the same and the front to rear balance is similar I think the handling should still be decent. The mule also looks to me to have bigger wheels and tires. I'm guessing 18 inch wheels and 225 width. Longer front and rear overhangs, greater distance from the rear of the door to the front of the rear fender, a higher and flatter deck spells more rear headroom, legroom and cargo space. I'm predicting 173 inches long (up from 167), an inch or so taller due to taller doors than the current generation. The mule also seems to be wider than the current car. Clearly Subaru/Toyota want to make this a more usable sports car. It should be similar in size to the Supra but with a lot more interior room. Car probably has a wider track I'm guessing as well. The big issue is going to be the engine characteristics. One would think with the larger 2.4 and assuming it remains NA that they have engineered the "torque dip" out of the equation. I'm hoping the've made the engine smoother and free revving with a slightly lighter flywheel.
Finally I hope they have worked on properly tuning the exhaust with plenty of pops etc.

#24 ·
But we already know the engine is going to make more power and torque. We just don't know if it is a turbo or not. Indications seem to suggest it is not. If the engine is indeed 217 HP and 177 LBS of torque it really depends where the power is in the rev band, what the gear final drive ratio is, if the new car would have a slightly lighter flywheel and of course what it is going to weigh. If the weight can be kept within 100 LBS of the current car it might still be a decent performer. Its really going to depend on the characteristics of the engine. The current engine sound and feel- lets just say is an acquired taste. Some people love it, others find it rough and course. Of course this engine was modified from Subaru's standard low torque low RPM still engine. It was not originally designed to be a smooth quick and high rever. It is my belief that the torque dip was a result of the mods to this engine in order to make an appropriate engine for a sports car without a turbo. To get the 200 HP it required 2 kinds of fuel injection. Now obviously the counter argument is that this engine has been used for the WRX. However its an engine that may have been better suited for a turbo in the first place. With few exceptions a lot of turbos work best in lower to mid rpm range with power tailing off above 5000 rpm. Without a turbo the stock engine makes roughly 150 HP and even less torque. The challenge was to turn the engine into something it was never designed to be. Hoping the Accent 2.4 has a better design to that can perform well with or without a turbo without having to have too much witches magic performed on it. If anything else no more torque dip please!

#27 ·
Well of course this is a photoshop. Based on the mule the front end appears to be looking fairly accurate. The greenhouse looks like its from the old car(taller)but the Hoffmesiter Kink seems correct from the mule. Not sure about the top of the rear fender. On the mule it seemed flatter. The door, the fender slit and the skirting seem pretty close to me compared to the mule though. Overall I'd say if this is 90% of the real thing this is going to be a nice looking car and I prefer it to the current version.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.