Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, if you're out there and you have a set of Watanabe R-type in 5x100 PCD sitting in your garage, then sell them to me!

I've been struggling to find 5x100 PCD wheels I like. I don't love the look of TE37's and RPF1's, and it seems like that's mostly what people are running on their 86's. So I started looking into classic JDM wheels.

I chatted with love20bee about barreling some classic wheels for me, but the price tag on that is 4k just for the wheels. So that's out.

Then I saw some youtube videos and posts about GT86 owners running 16x8.5 -6 Watanabe R-type wheels. They poke a bit, and need to run some meaty tires that stretch a little more than I like, but... They look really good. I run the same wheels on my '73 240z and I love them.

But Watanabe only runs sales a couple times a year, and then the lead time is up to 6 months. I can live with that, but I've been prowling the classifieds for used wheels (even in our rare PITA lug pattern).

And that brings me to my question. I found someone local with a set of 16x8 Watanabe R-types with +0 offset. I wonder how much "poke" that would be. On top of that, they're 4x113 PCD so I would have to run a 25mm adapter. I know people don't like wheel adapters but I'm going to buy high-quality adapters.

Wheel Tire Tread Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

... I tried using the wheel offset calculator but not sure I'm doing it right. They seem to be focusing on tire size and not accounting for the wheels?

Product Rectangle Font Automotive tire Parallel

What do you guys think? Any advice?

Attachments

· Registered
20 Posts
For reference, a 18X8.5 ET35 can be considered fairly aggressive with regard to how close your wheel is to the fender lip. You are looking to extend multiple inches beyond that. There is no way those would fit.

They sell Wantanabe in a 17X8 et30, 35, and 40. Buy one of those instead. Unless of course you have some big aftermarket fender / widebody you are running. RS Watanabe F8 17x8 +30/+35/+40 | motiveJAPAN

* I set the offset to -25 to account for the adapter assuming you went with a 16X8 ET0 wheel. The wheel would extend 3.37 INCHES further out than the OEM wheel does today. 1 inch is pretty aggressive. There is no way you could (without wide body or something) get away with another 2.27 inches of poke. Today, folks run 18X9.5 et40 and like 235 tires. It barely fits and requires modification. Your proposed setup would add 2 inches of poke to that.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Terrestrial plant

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Product Tread

· Registered
Toyota GR86 RC Neptune Blue; '00 Civic Type R Champ White
14 Posts
Good luck. I managed to get a set of 4 Watanabes in 5x100 17x8 +45 on croooober/upgarage, so def keep an eye out on those.

-edit-
They cost about 80,000 yen at the time I got 'em. Used market for 5x100 can be very cheap.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good luck. I managed to get a set of 4 Watanabes in 5x100 17x8 +45 on croooober/upgarage, so def keep an eye out on those.

-edit-
They cost about 80,000 yen at the time I got 'em. Used market for 5x100 can be very cheap.
How much was shipping when you got yours? I found a set for a pretty good price but they are charging almost $1,000 USD shipping!

· Registered
133 Posts
I'd love to see it done cus I think those wheels look so good on this chassis. That being said, it's already a tough road to get that spec to fit, adding a 25mm spacer will make it even harder. That setup will push the face of the wheel more than 3" away from where stock is now. It might be doable without the spacer so I hope you can find a spec that works with that.

· Registered
Toyota GR86 RC Neptune Blue; '00 Civic Type R Champ White
14 Posts
How much was shipping when you got yours? I found a set for a pretty good price but they are charging almost $1,000 USD shipping!
My shipping was cheap due to where I live. The only way I see it being cheaper to ship to the US from Japan is if you know someone that works at one of the bases. They'd have to buy them and ship them from on base, since its USPS. I forgot about international shipping prices in my recommendation, sorry about that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts