Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Ordered: '22 LTD AT Sapphire Blue Pearl
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Crew,

New member and first time poster here. I'm a forum veteran at cbr250.net, cb1100forum.com. f800riders.org, and 124spider.org so I'm not one of those people who appears, asks a question, and never returns to thank or comment. It took me a while to find an active forum for the Subaru BRZ and it looks like this site is the most popular and has the most activity.

I've had a 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso automatic for two years and it is my first experience with a small, light, rear-wheel-drive sports cars. I don't drive it in rain or in winter salt slush, but now I want the affordable sports car experience year-round and have fixated on the 2022 GR86/BRZ coupe. I'm leaning toward the BRZ mainly for the styling. It's subjective but it appeals to me more.

I'm considering a 2022 BRZ Limited automatic. I'm not incapable of driving a manual, but in a daily driver I don't want to manage the gearbox 100% of the time. If an automatic is available that is viable, I'm good with it. I'm more "GT" than "Track" in my preferences.

In researching the 2022 BRZ, I found out that the automatic comes with the Subaru EyeSight "driver aids". :cautious: (Can they be persistently turned off, I hope?)

And, the Limited comes with Subaru STARLINK® telematics. There are numerous owner conveniences associated with it, but I did some research and found out that this system reports vehicle information back to the manufacturer, which does raise some privacy questions especially about speed and location. Apparently, it also locks owners into dealer-only repairs. In Massachusetts, Subaru decided to disable the system rather than open it up to third-party repair shops under that state's "Right to Repair" legislation. Also, I'm concerned about warranty coverage if the mothership decides you were not operating the vehicle "legally" and in the manufacturer-prescribed manner at all times, or not strictly adhering to all mandated service intervals at the dealer. I like to service my own vehicles, so all routine maintenance will be done by me in my home garage.

I'm wondering what forum members think about this STARLINK® system and whether or not it should be a deal killer for the Limited trim level. :unsure:

For fun, here's my Spider:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I own 2 Subarus and have owned 6 others. Most have had the starlink connection and I drive like a maniac. No one has ever messed with me or suggested warranty work shouldn't be completed. I blew a motor in a turbo engine back in 2005 and they had no problem fixing it.

As long as you have proof that you did the work they can't legally not cover it due to maintenance. Plus, that is only if not doing the maintenance actually caused the damage. Like not putting oil in it for 20,000 miles and blowing an engine.

I think you are overthinking it. And most cars now are connected to the web.

·
Registered
Ordered: '22 LTD AT Sapphire Blue Pearl
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@LanceLane174 Thanks for the reply. I think you're right, I may be over-thinking it. All things being equal, I'd rather not have it, but if it has to be there I don't want to ever regret buying it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts