Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read a few other first impressions on this forum, I thought I would chip in with my thoughts too. I have owned my car for about a week now - I drove it back home a couple of hundred miles from the dealer and took in some winding country roads. Have driven it around town since and am adding revs every hundred miles or so to try and break it in somewhat gently. I have been a bit impatient so am already at 6k rpm after 400 miles but hey, it’s a modern car…

Some background, because I think context is important when listening to opinions. I have bought this car as a mixed daily driver for me/my son and as a track car for me. I have owned several high performance vehicles (400 - 500 hp) and I have mostly owned European cars. This is the first Japanese car I have owned in fact. My track experience has recently been with a Porsche, which I still own but don’t want to track anymore. I read up on the new BRZ and liked the reviews. The price point and performance is perfect for a mixed daily/track car and I have witnessed how a well driven first gen BRZ can embarrass faster cars on track. It’s a perfect car for learning to be a better track driver, in my view.

Low down torque is plenty - you don’t have to drive it hard to get it to pull. Of course, I am looking forward to revving it out but there is no real need to go beyond 4K rpm in every day situations.
Visibility is excellent - really impressed by this!
Seats are supportive and comfortable - not sure how well they can take harnesses - it would have been nice to see some sort of harness “guides” incorporated in the seats of a car like this.
The handling is superb - this thing is going to be super fun on track. It corners easily as well as my Porsche - interested to see how it handles at the limit. Body roll is low in my opinion, contrary to what some others have observed. I haven’t pushed to track levels of cornering speed on the road of course.
Ride quality is better than I would expect for a car like this.
The overall look of the car is nicely aggressive compared to the first gen, in my eyes at least.
Steering feel and response is quick and precise with plenty of feedback.

Dislikes:
The accelerator mapping is weird - slowish to respond to input but even slower to respond to taking your foot off the gas. This causes an initial rise in revs when I change gear quickly and press the clutch in. Doesn’t help with smooth gear changing…This is probably my biggest and only serious disappointment with the car.
The pedals are not well set up for heel and toe (for me) - the accelerator needs to be longer - I am sure this can be fixed fairly easily.
Road noise is very high at highway speeds. I felt like I needed ear plugs at times on the way home from collecting it. That said - the dealer had massively overinflated the tires, but lowering the pressures doesn’t seem to have helped much. Probably a different tire would address this, but generally I am a fan of Michelin tires.
The stereo is poor - maybe I need to play with the settings more but it is essentially useless at highway speeds. Calls via CarPlay haven’t been too good either.
The gear change feel is a bit loose (the context of me being used to a Porsche 6 speed is important here though…) Maybe this can be addressed by a short shift kit. It isn’t awful though and is fine around town.
Why are the exhaust tips not flush with the bumper?! I have adjusted them outwards as far as possible but they need to come out another few cm’s to look right!
The front license plate mount that is incorporated into the front is disappointing - I tend to run without a front plate but it looks rather obviously missing!
Why can’t I change the units for the temperature like I can with all other units? I am from Europe - I don’t know what a Fahrenheit is!

Overall I am really happy with the car. It has plenty of performance and is great value. These things are going to be very popular. A friend who owned a Gen1 drove it and immediately felt that it was a much improved car - particularly the engine. Oh - as for the engine sound through the speakers - I can’t say I would have noticed. It sounds better with a few miles on it. I am happy with it - it isn’t intrusive nor does it sound false to me. I don’t plan to modify this car other than harnesses and brakes (eventually - the brakes feel like they have plenty of performance to match the tires) - but it’s easy to say that now!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Dislikes:
Why can’t I change the units for the temperature like I can with all other units? I am from Europe - I don’t know what a Fahrenheit is!
Depending on which unit you have:
On the main audio screen, if you go into "settings", then "car", then "units" you can change it there
or
On the main audio screen, if you go into "settings", then "Others," then "units" you can change it there

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depending on which unit you have:
On the main audio screen, if you go into "settings", then "car", then "units" you can change it there
or
On the main audio screen, if you go into "settings", then "Others," then "units" you can change it there
Unfortunately the temperature units are the only thing that don’t change when you switch from imperial to metric units…

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Sport-Tech 6MT, WR Blue
47 Posts
+1 for all your likes and dislikes. I agree completely with all of them.

The "rev hang" when you lift off is annoying. The shifter feels good, but my last car was PDK and it had been 5 years since I drove a stick, so at this point I'm just happy to have a MT again.

I'm in Canada, definitely rocking temps in C, but I'm also fluent in F, so I probably wouldn't notice if a gauge or two was reading farenheit. Cabin temp is definitely in C for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+1 for all your likes and dislikes. I agree completely with all of them.

The "rev hang" when you lift off is annoying. The shifter feels good, but my last car was PDK and it had been 5 years since I drove a stick, so at this point I'm just happy to have a MT again.

I'm in Canada, definitely rocking temps in C, but I'm also fluent in F, so I probably wouldn't notice if a gauge or two was reading farenheit. Cabin temp is definitely in C for me.
Good to know that temp in C is possible in some markets - I feel like it is something that can be set be a knowledgeable dealer tech (if such a thing exists!) or even with an OBD interface tool.

The shift is fine and probably quite good by modern standards. I have driven autos for years too but my occasional weekend car has one of the best manual transmissions out there, so I am spoiled. PDK’s are tremendous. If the BRZ auto was a dual clutch unit I would probably have gone with that for the track, but then the price point would have been ruined!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way - I understand that most folks here have/had their cars on order. I only decided I wanted a BRZ about seven weeks ago and called up the local dealers advertising cars for sale. It turned out that almost none of the adverts were for real cars or were for cars that were already pre-sold orders. Clearly the dealers were fishing for orders as they all offered to place one for me with delivery dates anywhere between March and May 2022. One dealer had a car coming around Christmas that was not sold but they wanted $2k more than MSRP. I found a dealer in a city a couple of hundred miles away that had a car in the exact spec I wanted (MT, Limited, WR Blue) and no mark up. Deposit placed and the car arrived as promised! It took a few days of calling around but I am glad I persevered!

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Sport-Tech 6MT, WR Blue
47 Posts
OK I just jumped into my car, and while the setting to change the units is indeed inside the radio, it doesn't touch any temperatures. Both the cluster temps and cabin temps remained in C. The setting doesn't even mention temps, its all about KM vs Miles. So unless you find a secret sequence to change the units in the manual, you may have to visit a dealer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm curious regarding the rev-hang stuff. When I first got my WRX in 2010, I had a lot of problems with rev-hang. I never had it re-tuned or anything and I can't remember when it went away, but it's been a long time (I had forgotten that it ever used to do that.)
Is it possible that it is something that the ECU adjusts over time? I honestly only remember it being a problem in the WRX for maybe the first several months.
I ordered my BRZ in auto since my wife will need to be able to drive it, so it's a moot point for me, but I'm just curious, because as I said, I had totally forgotten about the hang in my WRX until I started reading some of the comments about rev-hang on the BRZ.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Limited WRB
119 Posts
On the ”rev hang” thing, I’ve noticed after about 1300 miles or so that it seems to be reduced for me somewhat. How much of that is me adjusting without thinking about it, i don’t know. But I do think the ECU learns your throttle inputs and adjusts its response from there.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I remember a journalist quote for the gen 1.1 cars: "A hundred pounds of sound deadening away from perfection." I lived with it in my 2017, but occasionally drove with earplugs and the stereo real, real high. This time around, I will have some insulation installed in the doors and trunk. I look forward to a thread on the most cost-effective application of dynamat. I couldn't care less if this increases the weight of the car by 2%. In fact, maybe there should be a club racer trim that deletes the radio, climate control and AC, power windows, etc. (just like my first new car, a Neon ACR). That way we could have decent insulation in our road-going trims!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Great write-up @Darlo! Thanks for feeding our curiosity.

If I find that my car is obnoxiously loud, I will definitely be disconnecting the fake engine speaker as well as installing sound-deadener in the doors and trunk and anywhere else I can gain access.

·
Registered
Awaiting a 2022 GR86 premium in Trueno blue
81 Posts
+1 on the road noise level in the cabin.
I noticed this right away when I took one for a drive.
Even at city speeds it was very noticeable.

It's something I'll have to get used to, I don't even remember any of my 90s Hondas being this loud aside from a stripped out CRX I had.

·
Registered
3 Posts
+1 on the road noise and rev hang. The audio is not terrible but certainly sound very flat. Tried different mixings but that didn't really help much either...

The rev hang is the most prominent going from 2nd to 3rd for me and would rev up a bit initially. The road noise is already quite noticeable during city driving even on newly paved roads.

·
Registered
Awaiting a 2022 GR86 premium in Trueno blue
81 Posts
I really hope the rev hanging is something that will sort itself as break in period precaution / ecu learning procedure thing.

Something like that would bother the shit out of me after awhile.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Not sure about the ECU learning. But rev hang is actually built into the ECU (i.e., programmed) to minimize the emission-causing events related to snapping the throttle shut: 1) the spike in gas pressure, causing oil vaporization; 2) the fuel mixture suddenly going lean, causing formation of NOx. Throttle body control codes can easily be reprogrammed as part of a tune. So says Cobb.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well, I have finished my break-in period and the bottom line is I LOVE THIS CAR! I am afraid I will be getting many speeding tickets in this car. I roll through the gears, and before I know it I am doing 65 mph on a back road no less.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts