Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
423 Posts
Your cheapest option’s probably going to be a junkyard. Lots of Subarus have compatible wheels with the same bolt pattern (5x100) & bore size (56.1 mm). For about $12, I got a spare tire from a Subaru Legacy sedan, including the bolt & washer to hold it down.

Try to find a spare tire in T135/80R16 size. It’s an almost-perfect match to the car’s stock tire circumference. Some Subarus, like Foresters and most Outbacks, have compatible wheels but slightly larger tires. If you mount a spare on a driven wheel — the rears in our case — the greater the difference in size between it and the stock tire, the more the differential’s going to spin while you’re driving …and that’s not great for it.

A couple of resources to help you cross-reference:

To compare your tire size to potential spares, checking the difference between them: Tire Size Comparison

To look up wheel specs like bolt pattern, bore, & offset for cars by make/model/year, which you can hopefully cross-reference against a junkyard’s inventory to identify potential donor cars: A reference guide to wheel and tire sizes for your car

· Registered
2023 BRZ Limited 6MT Sapphire Blue
28 Posts
I went with new everything for my car - wheel and securing hardware from Subaru, and the tire from Tire Rack who sells OEM replacements. Those are officially for 1st gens of course, but 2nd gens are the same with sizing and manufacturer.

· Registered
2022 GR86 Premium MT Steel
22 Posts
I was able to find previous gen wheel with jack included on Craigslist for about 70$. I looked around on offer up and Craigslist and found one pretty quickly. LA area.

· Registered
8 Posts
Hold up - there's room in the BRZ trunk for the spare and organizer with the jack and lug wrench from my Legacy? That's pretty awesome. I've been trying to give them away to get them out of my basement. (I relocated the battery to the trunk on my LGT).

· Registered
423 Posts
Hold up - there's room in the BRZ trunk for the spare and organizer with the jack and lug wrench from my Legacy? That's pretty awesome. I've been trying to give them away to get them out of my basement).
You can still give away the Legacy’s jack and lug wrench. The BRZ comes with them. The GR86, on the other hand, doesn’t. And neither twin comes with a spare in the U.S. market.

Having a spare tire well was a huge plus for the BRZ when I was shopping and comparing it to other cars. I’ve had plenty of flats in my life and drive through some pretty remote areas where I might not have cell service to call for roadside assistance.

· Registered
287 Posts
Cheapest and easiest is what I'm going for
Here is a post that goes over all your options. On a side note, be glad you have a jack because I think the GR86 does not come with one.

· Registered
2023 BRZ Limited 6MT Sapphire Blue
28 Posts
Having a spare tire well was a huge plus for the BRZ when I was shopping and comparing it to other cars. I’ve had plenty of flats in my life and drive through some pretty remote areas where I might not have cell service to call for roadside assistance.
Same here, and that's why there's a genuine spare in my trunk now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts