Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Thankful to be in this forum. I have a little dilemma at the moment. Given this is the 86/BRZ forum, I do expect some bias. And to be honest I could use some encouragement.

Back in 2020, my 2019 BRZ PP was totaled by an old driver...

Fast forward to now, I have taken ownership of a Quattro A4 '17.

I'm not entirely financially inclined to foot the German's maintenance bills as it is breaching towards the 40k mile service (500-800$)

I've always loved how my Gen 1 BRZ drove, I even got a speeding ticket to prove it.

However, this will be my only car, taking out my girl and picking up passengers.

My preorder is due for delivery this March, so I must make a decision upon delivery...

Should I keep the AWD German Refinement? or go back to the fun-to-drive BRZ?

Thanks! And happy new year馃榾

Registered
The BRZ doesn鈥檛 have a lot of room for passengers, also be prepared for a step down in interior refinement when you move back to the BRZ. I went from two Subarus to a BMW and then back to Subaru. The different in materials is immediately apparent. I also don鈥檛 have ridiculous maintenance bills or crazy expensive parts to worry about. A few things to consider:

1. The used car market is absolutely crazy, let鈥檚 hope it stays like his through March. You鈥檒l get a good amount of money for the Audi
2. The BRZ is terrible for passengers, get a GTI or WRX if you need practicality. I don鈥檛 know if any MT RWD cars cheaper than the Cadillac CT4 Blackwing at almost $60k.
3. Assuming you鈥檙e getting fair pricing on your new BRZ, get the BRZ. You鈥檒l get a good amount of money on the Audi and can always sell the BRZ later if you need practicality.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Picking up passengers? You mean family and friends? Lyft/Uber? You can only comfortably put 1 other adult in the car.
I don't Uber, just girlfriend, friends and projects. (I work with architectural models and scale proposals for a living).

IIRC, I folded my rear seats flat almost all the time when I had the BRZ, and I do miss the Three Pedals...

Registered
I have the same problem, BRZ arriving April but need more space for family use, so anyways I bought a Mazda SUV back in December and undecided wether taking that BRZ or not (also has a old Z4 in garage which makes this even harder)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The BRZ doesn鈥檛 have a lot of room for passengers, also be prepared for a step down in interior refinement when you move back to the BRZ. I went from two Subarus to a BMW and then back to Subaru. The different in materials is immediately apparent. I also don鈥檛 have ridiculous maintenance bills or crazy expensive parts to worry about. A few things to consider:

1. The used car market is absolutely crazy, let鈥檚 hope it stays like his through March. You鈥檒l get a good amount of money for the Audi
2. The BRZ is terrible for passengers, get a GTI or WRX if you need practicality. I don鈥檛 know if any MT RWD cars cheaper than the Cadillac CT4 Blackwing at almost $60k.
3. Assuming you鈥檙e getting fair pricing on your new BRZ, get the BRZ. You鈥檒l get a good amount of money on the Audi and can always sell the BRZ later if you need practicality.
I'm 26, so no family hauling for me... just yet.

Your experience is almost perfect for my situation, I've had a lot of seat time in my old 1991 M5 at Laguna Seca, BW, and WSIR, and when I tried the BRZ, it was the perfect car to me.

The Audi is not so much a "forever" car, as compared to the BRZ...

Registered
2022 Pavement GR86 , 2019 Shelby GT350R
Hi all! Thankful to be in this forum. I have a little dilemma at the moment. Given this is the 86/BRZ forum, I do expect some bias. And to be honest I could use some encouragement.

Back in 2020, my 2019 BRZ PP was totaled by an old driver...

Fast forward to now, I have taken ownership of a Quattro A4 '17.

I'm not entirely financially inclined to foot the German's maintenance bills as it is breaching towards the 40k mile service (500-800$)

I've always loved how my Gen 1 BRZ drove, I even got a speeding ticket to prove it.

However, this will be my only car, taking out my girl and picking up passengers.

My preorder is due for delivery this March, so I must make a decision upon delivery...

Should I keep the AWD German Refinement? or go back to the fun-to-drive BRZ?

Thanks! And happy new year馃榾
鈥滾eave the guns鈥(Audi), 鈥淭ake the cannoli鈥(BRZ)! Unless your back seat passengers are double (leg) amputees, or work in the midget adult film industry, the BRZ鈥檚 rear passenger seats won鈥檛 fit your needs - I suspect you know this.

If you do your own maintenance, you鈥檒l probably be fine with the Audi. German cars can get expensive for parts/service and chasing electrical gremlins can be frustrating. Good luck in your decision.

Registered
I hate to say this but if you need room for more than 1 passenger then I agree the BRZ is a no go.

If you can live with a 2 seater then it's a no brainer. Most fun car I have ever driven and you know that.

It hasn't changed much from gen 1. There is no magical extra room in the back seat. The trunk is very similar to its original size. This isn't a decision we can make for you. Good luck.

Registered
2022 BRZ, Ice Silver, MT, Limited
Picking up passengers? You mean family and friends? Lyft/Uber? You can only comfortably put 1 other adult in the car.
Even then.... that person isnt exactly going to have fun back there unless they are a Hobbit. :).

To the OP: I think as much as you like the idea of the BRZ, you need the utility of the 4-door-car. Hate to recommend "other" brands here but the new Civic has 4-doors and a decent fun to drive factor. I much prefer the BRZ to the new Civic but that car might be a good balance between pure sport and some people-hauling duties.

Registered
2022 GR86 Track Bred Premium MT
Even then.... that person isnt exactly going to have fun back there unless they are a Hobbit. :).

To the OP: I think as much as you like the idea of the BRZ, you need the utility of the 4-door-car. Hate to recommend "other" brands here but the new Civic has 4-doors and a decent fun to drive factor. I much prefer the BRZ to the new Civic but that car might be a good balance between pure sport and some people-hauling duties.
I think the Civic Si might be more enjoyable. It only has a manual transmission

Registered
2022 BRZ, Ice Silver, MT, Limited
I think the Civic Si might be more enjoyable. It only has a manual transmission
Not sure if its more enjoyable - the BRZ comes in a manual, of course and is a two door which is HUGE for me. Both are decent choices. It depends on what your use case is. Mine is a toy/weekend car so the BRZ is the easy choice. ;)

Registered
2022 Pavement GR86 , 2019 Shelby GT350R
Not sure if its more enjoyable - the BRZ comes in a manual, of course and is a two door which is HUGE for me. Both are decent choices. It depends on what your use case is. Mine is a toy/weekend car so the BRZ is the easy choice. ;)
You are correct, Sir. Civic and BRZ/GR86 shouldn't be uttered in the same sentence. I'm sure the Civic is a fine car, but it's out of it's league in comparison....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts