Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Feel like the car struggles to keep up. 3.5k rpm at 80mph, WTF.
I’m not sure I understand how 3.5k RPM at 80 mph in 6th gear is a problem.

You obviously wouldn’t want to be running a lower RPM. 3500 is right at the bottom end of the peak plateau on the engine’s torque curve, so you’ll want to stay above there if you’re looking for power.

And you wouldn’t want to be running a higher RPM at 80 in top gear unless you wanted the gearing to limit the car’s top speed. Since you’re at the low end of the peak RPM/torque plateau, you’ve got some RPM to play with if you want to pull higher speeds.

If you want to run a higher RPM at 80 MPH, just add some throttle and downshift to 5th. If my math is right, you’d be running around 4100 RPM at 80 MPH.

If you’re looking for more ‘zip’, I don’t think it’s the gearing that’s the problem, but rather the powerplant.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Limited WRB
416 Posts
There's really not such places as car enthusiasts nirvana, isn't it? For us in Pac NW, we are blessed with interesting roads and some good training on dealing with the ever changing weather. But general public is not car focused and they tends to drive very slow and totally sucker of "speed kills" mentality. Law enforcement reacted in same manner and being hungry whenever they have a chance. (I witnessed traffic cops in LosAngeles driving 80+ with everyone on the road) In Washington and Oregon, its not a rare sight that people are driving 45mph on 60mph highway, where you see the 1 hour delay traffic was cause by a speeding stop or hov lane violator IN OPPOSITE DIRECTION!!!
LOL that’s true, people up there drive slow. I’d take it though, in Florida it’s the combo of people wanting to drive 90 (myself included) and then everybody’s grandma doing 50 in a 70 in the left lane. That leads to a massive accident, grandma is dead, family of 4 is dead and I-95 is a parking lot for the rest of the day.

I hear where you’re coming from. You made an upgrade in affordability and value for money, but a downgrade in quality of people and nature. IMO Florida is a giant pump and dump, but you’ll know for yourself after about 2 years if you made the right call and that’s all that matters in the end.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
There's really no such places as car enthusiasts nirvana, isn't it?
Really, for car and motorcycle enthusiasts, probably the best we have in the US is Southern Appalachia. Low population, sparse traffic, high density of great roads, little backroads enforcement. I love driving/riding in the Rockies, but they really don't have enough density of good roads. You have to lay down a lot of droning miles across flatlands to shuttle between the good driving/riding roads out there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds like you are looking for an S class AMG.....

Revs do not hurt the car, I do not see the issue but ymmv.....

Another way to look at it is it puts the car further up in the power band so you do not have to down shift for acceleration at that speed...

·
Registered
'23 BRZ Limited - 6MT - SBP
395 Posts
Aside from highway ramps and the occasional traffic circle, driving in Florida sucks with our flat straight ass roads. At least you guys are in central/north FL where you get some hills and curvy roads. In my eyes it's not a reason to get rid of the car...any car will be less fun here than elsewhere keep that in mind.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Premium AT Trueno Blue
640 Posts
The fact that you WFH your Seattle metro job is the key. The Florida job market is pretty awful - the whole states economy is basically service industry for retirees and tourism. Our household income is generally bottom 10 states in the us or thereabouts.

The Pacific NW is not really my vibe - it’s ridiculously expensive and the homeless thing is not my deal. But the homeless thing is getting worse quickly in FL too. The climate is nicer though - we see about 6 months a year of non stop triple digit heat index.

But if driving/motorsports are your thing, Florida is pretty awful. It doesn’t ever get cold enough to warrant snow tires (obviously) which is nice, but besides that it sucks. The roads are awful, the drivers are terrible, and no vehicle inspection means there are a LOT of cars on the road that are a danger to others. Basically, either drag race or just buy a big comfy yacht. There’s no real point owning anything actually fun here, it just goes to waste.

Point 1 is a huge reason I left other than the weather and shit scenery.

Point 2 is also true, but the weather is so much better even with the rain that's its not even funny.

Point 3 is a mixed one for me. The amount of shops and tuning in FL was WAYYYYYYY better vs all of the PNW combined IMO. The drivers here are also far worse than FL, or at least worse than pre-2014 FL drivers by a massive margin. That said, many of the driving roads here are arguably even better than the GA/NC etc so lol...

Oregon, its not a rare sight that people are driving 45mph on 60mph highway, where you see the 1 hour delay traffic was cause by a speeding stop or hov lane violator IN OPPOSITE DIRECTION!!!
THIS X1000. I miss the aggression of FL and how people all did 80+, stayed out of the passing lane, and knew how to pace space in bumper to bumper so that you dont have to come to a complete stop.

·
Registered
43 Posts
As a Florida owner, the best advice I can give you is to do what I’m currently doing and leave Florida. The roads suck, the people are stupid, and it’s home to the absolute most massive a-holes in the United States.
The roads here suck so bad even I would consider just buying a turbo crossover. A Supra 6MT is a great car but honestly even that will never feel “fun” here. I drive up to Georgia relatively often just for the faintest hint of twisties.
I feel like this is becoming the norm in the US. I'm in AZ and I feel the exact same way as you about AZ as you do about FL. I constantly encounter nasty, aggressive and confrontational people everywhere I go. Only difference is our roads are smooth as glass and it never rains. But....we have no beaches, it's just straight boiling hot with nowhere to go. My conclusion, warm weather attracts the absolute worst people in the world. If I could live on a farm and grow my own food, I would leave in a heartbeat.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. To make this somewhat relative to the OP'er. The only car that will keep you from getting bullied on Americas racetracks (roads and highways) is to get a Tesla. You will absolutely crush everyone on the road, execept other aggressive Tesla drivers which are kinda rare. But don't buy a car you don't want just for this reason.

·
Registered
2015 Toyota GT86
152 Posts
I feel like this is becoming the norm in the US. I'm in AZ and I feel the exact same way as you about AZ as you do about FL. I constantly encounter nasty, aggressive and confrontational people everywhere I go. Only difference is our roads are smooth as glass and it never rains. But....we have no beaches, it's just straight boiling hot with nowhere to go. My conclusion, warm weather attracts the absolute worst people in the world. If I could live on a farm and grow my own food, I would leave in a heartbeat.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. To make this somewhat relative to the OP'er. The only car that will keep you from getting bullied on Americas racetracks (roads and highways) is to get a Tesla. You will absolutely crush everyone on the road, execept other aggressive Tesla drivers which are kinda rare. But don't buy a car you don't want just for this reason.

It's not something isolated to the US. We have the same trouble in parts of the UK, the southeast is bad, roads are always congested, people have no tolerance for each other, you are lucky to go a day without seeing someone drive like a d*ck, being cut up, tailgated or people hogging lanes.

Back to the OP, given your situation I don't think the 86 is the right car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You're looking for long geared torque. Try a muscle car or a Cayman. Or a Supra. These are high strung machines made for short courses, auto X and canyon carving. Defintely not highway cruisers or a "GT."

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Off topic a bit, but AZ & FL seem like places to visit when it’s cold back home where you live. It’s great to jump on a plane in February and fly to someplace warm for a spring preview. But there’s no way I’d live in the boiling sands of AZ or the sweltering humidity of FL in the summer. At that time of year, I’m thinking about the pleasant lakes of northern Wisconsin / Minnesota / Michigan.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Limited WRB
416 Posts
Off topic a bit, but AZ & FL seem like places to visit when it’s cold back home where you live. It’s great to jump on a plane in February and fly to someplace warm for a spring preview. But there’s no way I’d live in the boiling sands of AZ or the sweltering humidity of FL in the summer. At that time of year, I’m thinking about the pleasant lakes of northern Wisconsin / Minnesota / Michigan.
I’ve never been to AZ but it’s absolutely true here. Florida is a great place to live for snowbirds or even just retirees broadly. But basically it’s a third world country attached to the rest of the USA. It’s tropical (relatively) cheap to retire in, with no rules and basically no taxes if you’re rich. Everyone around you is poor and dumb because the economy blows and the schools are embarrassing too.

Remote work and wfh are the only reason I can make enough to live here - my office is in Boston. But what I give up in QoL isn’t offset by the savings and ability to see my family more often. I’d forgotten how it was. But on the car topic - just buy a turbo crossover here man. If you want something that just feels like less of a boat, get a mustang convertible and you can drop the top the two weeks a year that it is both not 100 and not raining.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds like you are looking for an S class AMG.....

Revs do not hurt the car, I do not see the issue but ymmv.....

Another way to look at it is it puts the car further up in the power band so you do not have to down shift for acceleration at that speed...
AMGs are baaaad mofo's! This AMG coupe was coming up on me and I decided to not let him pass (everytime I let people pass, they get in front of me and drive super slow) so I sped up on him. He decided to accelerate and within a split second he was about 2 cars in front of me. I couldn't beleive the acceleration! I literally said "holy F***". But...you pay for all that performance with depreciation and maintenence. God knows how much an oil change is at the dealer for one of those.

·
Registered
'22 GR86 | Premium | 6MT | Steel Grey
373 Posts
View attachment 17345 Recently relocated to FL where every straight away is racetrack, high speed everywhere. Feel like the car struggles to keep up. 3.5k rpm at 80mph, WTF. This car is not my daily, just an enthusiast machine and I LOVE it. Don't shoot me, but considering swapping out for a Supra (MT) in the next 12 months. Wish I could have both 86 and Supra but the wife and I WFH yet we still drive a ton, go figure. The added power and stability(size) would help me stay afloat on the highways hopefully. Thoughts? (Don't mind my tire psi, was a "cold" FL morning)
Go get what you want.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Just as a comparison, my 124 Spider 6AT turning about 2650 at 90 mph in 6th (it has two overdrive gears, 5th and 6th). Turbo doesn't start adding boost until ~2900, so this car is doing 90 mph on a tiny 1.4L that is naturally aspirated at this rpm.

Now, say I'm doing 80 and decide to pick up the pace. Drop to 4th (1:1) and at 4200 I'm on boost with peak torque ~184 ft-lbs. and on the way to peak HP of ~160 around 5750.

This car is at no disadvantage on the highway vs. other traffic.

124 Spider 6AT gearing / (overall) with rear differential AT gear = 3.583:1
  • 1st 3.538 (12.68)
  • 2nd 2.06 (7.38)
  • 3rd 1.404 (5.03)
  • 4th 1.00 (3.58)
  • 5th 0.713 (2.55)
  • 6th 0.582 (2.09)
The BRZ 6AT drives similarly (I think the transmission gearing is actually identical) but the BRZ has substantially shorter rear gearing. Not a problem because the BRZ also has 1000 rpm higher redline.

Here's the BRZ 6AT gearing / (overall) with rear differential AT gear = 3.91:1
  • 1st 3.54 (13.84)
  • 2nd 2.06 (8.05)
  • 3rd 1.41 (5.51)
  • 4th 1.00 (3.91)
  • 5th 0.71 (2.78)
  • 6th 0.58 (2.27)

·
Registered
‘22 GR86 Trueno base 6AT
71 Posts
AMGs are baaaad mofo's! This AMG coupe was coming up on me and I decided to not let him pass (everytime I let people pass, they get in front of me and drive super slow) so I sped up on him. He decided to accelerate and within a split second he was about 2 cars in front of me. I couldn't beleive the acceleration! I literally said "holy F***". But...you pay for all that performance with depreciation and maintenence. God knows how much an oil change is at the dealer for one of those.
everyone should just say no to Mercedes except that a high percentage of everyone are just dumbasses or stupid rich and think they'll they are special because they have a 3 pointed star

i'd say to original poster pre-owned Cayman S or turbo crossover

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Base Model Silver
26 Posts
Yeah they are! I loved my E63. Never found myself in a situation on the street I couldn't get away from. That car was dare I say TOO fast for USA roads without risking jail any time you put your foot down.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts