Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Premium 6MT (pre-order)
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speedometer Vehicle Car Gauge Motor vehicle
Recently relocated to FL where every straight away is racetrack, high speed everywhere. Feel like the car struggles to keep up. 3.5k rpm at 80mph, WTF. This car is not my daily, just an enthusiast machine and I LOVE it. Don't shoot me, but considering swapping out for a Supra (MT) in the next 12 months. Wish I could have both 86 and Supra but the wife and I WFH yet we still drive a ton, go figure. The added power and stability(size) would help me stay afloat on the highways hopefully. Thoughts? (Don't mind my tire psi, was a "cold" FL morning)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Small cars, small engines, is this really that unusual? Seems about the norm for an naturally aspirated car in this size class. If I recall correctly, my old Miata (2000) turned about 4K rpm at 80 mph (and it was an SE with the 6-spd gearbox)..

The proliferation of Turbo engines changes the equation, but the 86's obviously are not turbo engines (from the factory anyway)..

Our X5 on the other hand, is running about 120 mph at 3,500 rpm..

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Limited WRB
414 Posts
As a Florida owner, the best advice I can give you is to do what I’m currently doing and leave Florida. The roads suck, the people are stupid, and it’s home to the absolute most massive a-holes in the United States.
The roads here suck so bad even I would consider just buying a turbo crossover. A Supra 6MT is a great car but honestly even that will never feel “fun” here. I drive up to Georgia relatively often just for the faintest hint of twisties.

·
Registered
220 Posts
First, if I could live with a small cabin, small trunk and no back seat AND I could get my hands on a Supra MT, I wouldn't think twice about swapping out. In fact, as a dedicated/fun 2 seat weekend/track car, I highly doubt the GR86 would be my choice.

For me, I need a manual coupe with a usable back seat (for both very occasional kid use and weekend/travel for 2), a trunk that fits my golf clubs. I would have liked a sunroof/convertible and more power, but one of those is fixable.

What I would say is wait at least a few more months and spring for catless headers, a tune and an e85 program. Still won't be a burner on a straight, but I think it will be enough to keep you happy (I think it will be for me).

·
Registered
85 Posts
BRZ/86 isn't a rocket ship, but I like it's ability to bomb down the highway at 85-100mph no problem. Sure, the engine is spinning, but it seems happy.

If you want a heavier, more powerful car, have at it with the Zupra. It's a cool car.

I have a C6 ZR1 and a CT5-V Blackwing six-speed and while WAY faster, I think the BRZ is more fun to zip around town and is perfectly fine on the highway. I've driven down to COTA (track in Austin, TX) from DFW and BRZ was a fun highway car IMHO.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
That car is even slower than the 6MT. He's looking for more passing power, so yeah he might be surprised...in a bad way.
Read the OP again. He's not talking about acceleration; he's complaining about the engine turning too many rpm at 80 mph. The 6AT is geared taller. Off the top of my head I think it's only turning about 2800 rpm at 80 mph.

That being said, I think the OP has already talked himself out of the car. He's going through the Five Stages of Grief. Already past Denial and Anger, currently in Bargaining with the talk of a Supra. Next will realize the Supra's not the answer, and will progress to Depression (about Florida) and Acceptance (of an SUV).

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yeah I have similar feelings about my car, but I wouldn't get rid of it for any of them. A Zupra would be fun but they're super pricey, an S3 would also be fun just maintenance heavy. I can't think of another enthusiast car that I could buy for the price point that would offer the same or similar driving experience.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Limited WRB
414 Posts
Honestly just buy a mustang in Florida. Or a Camaro if you want to know in your heart that your car COULD turn (even though it never will in tropical Kansas). I bought my BRZ here a bit aspirationally, knowing I was on my way out. But after a year living between Jacksonville, Daytona and Orlando I can say it really isn’t a great fit here. There’s just nowhere a sports car can do what they do well. Besides Sebring.

·
Registered
22 Trueno Blue
391 Posts
Yeah I have similar feelings about my car, but I wouldn't get rid of it for any of them. A Zupra would be fun but they're super pricey, an S3 would also be fun just maintenance heavy. I can't think of another enthusiast car that I could buy for the price point that would offer the same or similar driving experience.
Unless you are talking about the current gen S3, then I haven't sat in one so I refrain from my objective mind on it.

We had 2 s3, a base 16 and top trim 17 with all the bells and whistles. driven the 18 and 19. They all have terrible suspension, it's livable but basically very pogo ride but it's not sporty enough. The magnetic ride is basically a selector of different levels of harshness , it's just not a proper equipment.

·
Registered
22 Trueno Blue
391 Posts
As a Florida owner, the best advice I can give you is to do what I’m currently doing and leave Florida. The roads suck, the people are stupid, and it’s home to the absolute most massive a-holes in the United States.
The roads here suck so bad even I would consider just buying a turbo crossover. A Supra 6MT is a great car but honestly even that will never feel “fun” here. I drive up to Georgia relatively often just for the faintest hint of twisties.
NW people in my area (Seattle) praised the lower standard of livings there... and recommending people moving and investing in FL/GA. Grass is always greener... syndrome ??

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Limited WRB
414 Posts
NW people in my area (Seattle) praised the lower standard of livings there... and recommending people moving and investing in FL/GA. Grass is always greener... syndrome ??
The fact that you WFH your Seattle metro job is the key. The Florida job market is pretty awful - the whole states economy is basically service industry for retirees and tourism. Our household income is generally bottom 10 states in the us or thereabouts.

The Pacific NW is not really my vibe - it’s ridiculously expensive and the homeless thing is not my deal. But the homeless thing is getting worse quickly in FL too. The climate is nicer though - we see about 6 months a year of non stop triple digit heat index.

But if driving/motorsports are your thing, Florida is pretty awful. It doesn’t ever get cold enough to warrant snow tires (obviously) which is nice, but besides that it sucks. The roads are awful, the drivers are terrible, and no vehicle inspection means there are a LOT of cars on the road that are a danger to others. Basically, either drag race or just buy a big comfy yacht. There’s no real point owning anything actually fun here, it just goes to waste.

·
Registered
22 Trueno Blue
391 Posts
The fact that you WFH your Seattle metro job is the key. The Florida job market is pretty awful - the whole states economy is basically service industry for retirees and tourism. Our household income is generally bottom 10 states in the us or thereabouts.

The Pacific NW is not really my vibe - it’s ridiculously expensive and the homeless thing is not my deal. But the homeless thing is getting worse quickly in FL too. The climate is nicer though - we see about 6 months a year of non stop triple digit heat index.

But if driving/motorsports are your thing, Florida is pretty awful. It doesn’t ever get cold enough to warrant snow tires (obviously) which is nice, but besides that it sucks. The roads are awful, the drivers are terrible, and no vehicle inspection means there are a LOT of cars on the road that are a danger to others. Basically, either drag race or just buy a big comfy yacht. There’s no real point owning anything actually fun here, it just goes to waste.
There's really not such places as car enthusiasts nirvana, isn't it? For us in Pac NW, we are blessed with interesting roads and some good training on dealing with the ever changing weather. But general public is not car focused and they tends to drive very slow and totally sucker of "speed kills" mentality. Law enforcement reacted in same manner and being hungry whenever they have a chance. (I witnessed traffic cops in LosAngeles driving 80+ with everyone on the road) In Washington and Oregon, its not a rare sight that people are driving 45mph on 60mph highway, where you see the 1 hour delay traffic was cause by a speeding stop or hov lane violator IN OPPOSITE DIRECTION!!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts