Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

Is the MTEC clutch spring needed on 2nd gens?

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,409 Posts
Installed mtec spring in my car. Not sure if it's just me, but do you all have a slight slight mushy feeling at the very top of the clutch pedal with the mtec spring? Like there feels like there is just a bit of give there before the spring engages which is not there with the stock spring.
That does happen with the lighter weight spring. If you were to try it with no spring at all though , it gets super squishy. There may be a tad more feel with the spring entirely removed but after looking at the pedal and hydraulic system, I feel that would be bad news for clutch longevity.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Limted 6MT White
18 Posts
That does happen with the lighter weight spring. If you were to try it with no spring at all though , it gets super squishy. There may be a tad more feel with the spring entirely removed but after looking at the pedal and hydraulic system, I feel that would be bad news for clutch longevity.
I was ready to sell the BRZ as I hated the clutch feel compared to my 2019 MX-5 RF. I bought the MTEC spring and to me it made a big difference to now I enjoy the BRZ. Best $35 I have spent recently.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just got my Mtec spring installed and immediately it feels easier to find the engagement point. Yesterday I was thinking I was getting used to the stock clutch and I wouldn't have to change the spring... moments later I stalled it lol.
With the Mtec spring installed I was able to easily get going without any throttle which is great.
It is softer feeling at the top of the throw but if that means I get more finesse I'm all for it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah I tried it without the spring and felt that super squishy/mushy feeling the clutch. But good to know that is part of having a lighter weight spring

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Premium 6MT Trueno Blue (In-Transit)
200 Posts
Bought and installed, been running for about a month. Feels way better to me, ymmv. No issues with clutch pedal not returning, which I've heard of with spring removal, albeit rarely

41 - 46 of 46 Posts