Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

Is the MTEC clutch spring needed on 2nd gens?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Someone else posted it in another thread and I was too lazy to look it up. Anyway: McMaster-Carr 9657K379. $10.87 for a 6-pack (that's the minimum). I'd give the spares away to someone close by, but I don't want to bother with shipping stuff out. Just a warning: if you haven't used McMaster before and are a hardware or weird projects nerd like I am, you can get lost for hours looking through their catalog.

·
Registered
GR86 MT Pavement
671 Posts
Installed it last night. Didn't lose the circlip but did lose the pin for a hot minute. Ended up next to the dead pedal.

Kind of a bitch to get in there and the popping of spring. Installing the new one was very easy. No need for zip ties.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Limted 6MT White
18 Posts
I have had mine for a month but have not installed it. How awkward was the install?
I just did the install yesterday of the MTEC spring. also owning a 2019 Miata, I did not like the BRZ clutch feel. Actually, I was considering selling or trading the BRZ. I drove with the OEM spring removed and it was better but decided to install the MTEC. Glad I did. For me, it was a great improvement for clutch feel.

Regarding the install, it’s awkward leaning under the dash. The circlip removal was easy. I had a magnetic tray to catch it. However, not lucky with the pin. When it released, it flung out and disappeared under the floor insulation. Never found it. Bought a clerks pin and modified it to take a cotter pin. All good. I would suggest placing sone form of a cover sheet in the area to catch the pin. It was just bad luck on my install I guess.

·
Registered
GR86 MT Pavement
671 Posts
I just did the install yesterday of the MTEC spring. also owning a 2019 Miata, I did not like the BRZ clutch feel. Actually, I was considering selling or trading the BRZ. I drove with the OEM spring removed and it was better but decided to install the MTEC. Glad I did. For me, it was a great improvement for clutch feel.

Regarding the install, it’s awkward leaning under the dash. The circlip removal was easy. I had a magnetic tray to catch it. However, not lucky with the pin. When it released, it flung out and disappeared under the floor insulation. Never found it. Bought a clerks pin and modified it to take a cotter pin. All good. I would suggest placing sone form of a cover sheet in the area to catch the pin. It was just bad luck on my install I guess.
I had the same issue. Found mine under the dead pedal.

Definitely a good upgrade.

·
Registered
22 GR86 Premium MT Pavement
18 Posts
I installed the McMaster-Carr spring. For me install was a pita, but if I had to do it again it would be easy minus how uncomfortable it is crawling into the foot wheel. My initial impression is that it feels different, but I really can't say it's better or worse. Kind of feels like a waste of time. We'll see though, maybe with a few more drives I'll have a stronger opinion.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hoping to do it today or in the next few days and I have a few questions. I see my current spring assembly is greased, I’ve seen a few people saying to wipe it clean but would that cause any problems or squeaking in the future? Or should I try to grease the assembly myself? Also it seems like putting the C-clip back on is going to be very annoying, anyone got any tips?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hoping to do it today or in the next few days and I have a few questions. I see my current spring assembly is greased, I’ve seen a few people saying to wipe it clean but would that cause any problems or squeaking in the future? Or should I try to grease the assembly myself? Also it seems like putting the C-clip back on is going to be very annoying, anyone got any tips?
The C clip is easy to put back in. I just press it in with my fingers. As for the grease, I put some on my spring as a protective coating.

·
Registered
18 Posts
For the install one thing I did differently than the video was getting the pin bolt back in. In the video he hammers it back in. This didn't work for me because there is very little room to hammer and it really doesn't take much force to get the pin back in if it's aligned perfectly (it won't be). So what I did was crawl into the footwell enough so I could get both hands on the connecting joint (thing that sits on top of the new spring). With my fingers on each side of it I compressed the spring and the slid the pin back in with little force. You probably won't be able to see what you are doing in that tight space, but you can feel what's going on. Then I put the C clip back on with needle nose pliers, but if you can use your hands that sounds even easier.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The C clip is easy to put back in. I just press it in with my fingers. As for the grease, I put some on my spring as a protective coating.
Thanks so much for the help! I was able to find some Red and tacky spray grease, do you think that would work fine or should it be something that can be globbed on?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Red n Tacky works good and probably looks better then globbed on grease.
Great to hear thanks!
Update: I was able to get the assembly removed and installed again, but when trying to get the C-clip back on it slipped out of my hand and seems to be gone forever. I was able to find the part number if anyone has had a similar problem, but was wondering if the C-clip is absolutely needed or if I can drive without it until I get a new one? Here’s the #: “Clip: SU003-00058"

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great to hear thanks!
Update: I was able to get the assembly removed and installed again, but when trying to get the C-clip back on it slipped out of my hand and seems to be gone forever. I was able to find the part number if anyone has had a similar problem, but was wondering if the C-clip is absolutely needed or if I can drive without it until I get a new one? Here’s the #: “Clip: SU003-00058"
Take the bolt to a hardware store and get a generic C clip.

·
Registered
22' Steel GR86 6MT
90 Posts
Installed this today, took about 20 mins. I spun the C-clip towards me then used some mini flat needle nose pliers & just pulled, came off easy. With the pin: I popped it out a little, attached a telescopic magnet tool to it to before fully popping it out...keeps it from flying somewhere.

Pedal travel/resistance is better, more consistent, but i don't notice much of a change when it comes to feeling clutch engagement. Also there is a little bit of initial mushiness that I don't like, but idk...i need to drive it more to see if I'm going to keep it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Installed this today, took about 20 mins. I spun the C-clip towards me then used some mini flat needle nose pliers & just pulled, came off easy. With the pin: I popped it out a little, attached a telescopic magnet tool to it to before fully popping it out...keeps it from flying somewhere.

Pedal travel/resistance is better, more consistent, but i don't notice much of a change when it comes to feeling clutch engagement. Also there is a little bit of initial mushiness that I don't like, but idk...i need to drive it more to see if I'm going to keep it.
Yeah I felt the same thing when I put it on but it does help smoothen out the shift even if you don’t feel it as much for me at least.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Installed mtec spring in my car. Not sure if it's just me, but do you all have a slight slight mushy feeling at the very top of the clutch pedal with the mtec spring? Like there feels like there is just a bit of give there before the spring engages which is not there with the stock spring.

·
Registered
GR86 MT Pavement
671 Posts
For me they both felt that way. But it's like the part of the travel that you'd only notice barefoot or very thin and light shoes, aka a touch of slack like a bike has on every input.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts