Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

Is the MTEC clutch spring needed on 2nd gens?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Bred Base MT
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the MTEC clutch spring for my 2nd gen because I read of couple threads of people saying it felt like old 90's-early 2000's clutch pedals and that's what I prefer feeling.

With that said, I've been reading up very different opinions when it comes to the 2nd gens with the MTEC clutch springs.
Some are saying its worth it, while others are saying they prefer the stock one or without any clutch spring.

I'm debating if I should even bother with the hassle of installing if I'm not really going to tell a difference.
The 2nd gens clutch feels much better than the 1st gen, while its still soft, I know when and where the clutch is engaging.

So far I've tallied up what I've gathered from people here and on other forums and its about 50/50.
If its not worth it, I rather sell the MTEC clutch spring while its still new in bag.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am glad you asked this question, I am struggling with this decision myself… Coming from a 2021 Miata, the clutch in my BRZ is lighter but I am not having any major issues with it is far is feeling the engagement point. I to look forward to any feedback anyone has,,,,

·
Registered
22 Neptune Blue MT GR86
66 Posts
So stock it felt like crap when you let off it kicks after reaching the neutral pivot point on the assembly due to how beefy the clutch spring is and always made it unenjoyable to drive. Installed the MTech spring and got rid of 80% of that neutral point kick when letting off, now I thinking of removing it since it's just becoming a hassle to baby the clutch out on every gear to avoid the car jerking like I'm a student driver. This is my 5th manual transmission car I've owned and from my experience it feels like a dual mass flywheel that is on its way out or just has too much play .

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Bred Base MT
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So stock it felt like crap when you let off it kicks after reaching the neutral pivot point on the assembly due to how beefy the clutch spring is and always made it unenjoyable to drive. Installed the MTech spring and got rid of 80% of that neutral point kick when letting off, now I thinking of removing it since it's just becoming a hassle to baby the clutch out on every gear to avoid the car jerking like I'm a student driver. This is my 5th manual transmission car I've owned and from my experience it feels like a dual mass flywheel that is on its way out or just has too much play .
I’m confused so, you didn’t like the mtec clutch spring in the 2nd gen?

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,412 Posts
Perfect timing. I literally just installed mine this morning. Before I placed the order for the Mtec spring I did try it for a day with the spring fully removed. To me that felt horrible. I know its a popular thing to do on the old cars but the only reason I can think of is that it is free. The pedal feels very limp and mushy feeling. Yes you can feel the friction zone better but at the expense of horrible pedal feel. The Mtec spring I think is the perfect compromise. The pedal is only slightly stiffer than stock and provides more feel than the OEM spring for sure, but not quite as much as no spring at all. I am much smoother with the car with the new spring it seems. I only drove about 15 miles with it today, but I plan on keeping it in there.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Bred Base MT
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't like either of them, going no spring. There's a video on YouTube explaining the neutral pivot point I'm referring to and why it's crap.
Would you agree the pedal feels “mushy” with no spring?

I guess I should just install the mtec and try it out.. I’ll wait for a couple more people to chime in though. Should have some time this week to install it.

it’s really weird that there’s mixed results from everyone though

·
Registered
22 Neptune Blue MT GR86
66 Posts
Would you agree the pedal feels “mushy” with no spring?

I guess I should just install the mtec and try it out.. I’ll wait for a couple more people to chime in though. Should have some time this week to install it.

it’s really weird that there’s mixed results from everyone though

Found it

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
IDK why that engineer doesnt understand it. Thats the same setup many modern cars use. There is very good reason for the push then pull action of the spring. The initial push up keeps the pedal from resting on the pivot cam that crosses under the brake and throttle pedal which pushes on a rod that actuates the clutch. If any noticeable pressure is left on that system you will end up smoking your throw out bearing. Take a look on the 1st gen forums. You will see a whole lot of people complaining about having to replace a throw out bearing. It never fails that later in the thread you will find out it was either some kids 1st manual car and\or they removed their clutch spring. I did a fair share of homework and also took a good look at how this system works when I did a test run with no spring. I advise against it. Plenty of people will chime in and say they did it for years and years and never had a problem and that may be true. Im going to take the japanese car engineers side on this one.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I removed the stock spring and it was much better than stock. You can feel the engagement point and the pedal doesn't kick back up. The downside is that the pedal becomes like oatmeal at the top of the pedal travel, so I got the Mtec spring just to see what it was like. For $33 you just can't go wrong, it feels the same as without the stock spring, however it makes the pedal return fully and doesn't feel soft anymore.

Take the stock one out and see if its something you want to do :)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I think I might remove the MTech spring and cut it just enough so it doesn't give the kick when letting off the pedal
May as well just remove it at that point. That kick at the end is what keeps pressure off of the system. Prior to that point the hydraulic system pushes the pedal back up. The spring ensures the hydraulic system is back at rest when the pedal is up. Not something I would do, but neither is running without a spring but plenty of people do.

·
Premium Member
Portland, OR, USA
27 Posts
i tried it without spring and with mtec spring. much better with the spring on cause you dont get the loose mushy feeling at the top of pedal and just feels better overall

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Bred Base MT
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finally installed this today and took it for a 15 min drive.

With the mtec clutch spring, there is some more weight to the clutch pedal. Its probably the closest thing to what a clutch should feel like. I will say that the first inch or so does feel mushy. I noticed the car is alot more smoother when shifting though. I think the correct word instead of smoother would be that it feels more consistent. I had some smooth shifting with the stock spring, but it was never consistent.

Overall I think its worth it and won't be removing the mtec clutch spring.
I did not drive it without the spring so I can't give my inputs on what it feels without the spring.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I finally installed this today and took it for a 15 min drive.

With the mtec clutch spring, there is some more weight to the clutch pedal. Its probably the closest thing to what a clutch should feel like. I will say that the first inch or so does feel mushy. I noticed the car is alot more smoother when shifting though. I think the correct word instead of smoother would be that it feels more consistent. I had some smooth shifting with the stock spring, but it was never consistent.

Overall I think its worth it and won't be removing the mtec clutch spring.
I did not drive it without the spring so I can't give my inputs on what it feels without the spring.
I have had mine for a month but have not installed it. How awkward was the install?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
For me it wasnt too bad. I just opened the door all the way, stayed on my knees outside the car and leaned in. Pro tip.... Use a magnet when pushing off the c-clip. They like to fly off to who knows where if you dont. Use a small screwdriver and hammer to tap the pin out. For some reason all the videos I watched people were beating the hell out of the spring or prying on it like crazy. I just pushed it with my finger while working the pedal all the way up and all the way down. It literally fell right out.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts