Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shopping for my next car, that would be my only car even for winter. No kids or dog, but ski gear to carry often.
The 86 is on top of my list but the mk8 gti also is on my list.
Any body cross shopping these two? The complaint on the gti seem to but for the interior (I think this is something you can get use to). But driving impressions seem solid and great as a daily. Any opinions on this? Or someone did drive the mk8? (Currently have a Mazda 3 Hatch)

·
Registered
362 Posts
MK8 GTI has been praised for its good driving dynamics and panned for its frustrating infotainment system and gesture controls. Further interior plastics are step down from the MK7. It has a very good FWD chassis if not quite up to the Veloster N. it does have a lot more refinement. If you like FWD cars its definately towards the top. Of course we have not gotten any reviews of the Civic SI. It won't be as quick but will have a more logical infotainment system and may have as good a handling chassis as the GTI.
The 86 could not be a more different option. RWD, 6 inches lower to the ground and an N/A engine. Also a much simpler interior. The driving dynamics are completely different. If you like turbo engines than you have to go with the GTI. The N/A engine in the 86 requires revving to get the most out of it but greatly improved over version one I'm told.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Shopping for my next car, that would be my only car even for winter. No kids or dog, but ski gear to carry often.
The 86 is on top of my list but the mk8 gti also is on my list.
Any body cross shopping these two? The complaint on the gti seem to but for the interior (I think this is something you can get use to). But driving impressions seem solid and great as a daily. Any opinions on this? Or someone did drive the mk8? (Currently have a Mazda 3 Hatch)
check out the review that jason cammisa did.

mk8 would be a good daily with awesome practicality. if you would really opt for GTI I would rather go with Civic Type R (i know there will be a price jump of 5k or so). personally, GTI does not feel that special with adding caveat that ppl claim mk8 is not as good as mk7.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MK8 GTI has been praised for its good driving dynamics and panned for its frustrating infotainment system and gesture controls. Further interior plastics are step down from the MK7. It has a very good FWD chassis if not quite up to the Veloster N. it does have a lot more refinement. If you like FWD cars its definately towards the top. Of course we have not gotten any reviews of the Civic SI. It won't be as quick but will have a more logical infotainment system and may have as good a handling chassis as the GTI.
The 86 could not be a more different option. RWD, 6 inches lower to the ground and an N/A engine. Also a much simpler interior. The driving dynamics are completely different. If you like turbo engines than you have to go with the GTI. The N/A engine in the 86 requires revving to get the most out of it but greatly improved over version one I'm told.
I only owned a Mazda 3 and a Protege so only FWD (I dont hate it) I certainly love a good hatch, thinking this would also be better for the winter and carry gear. On long term it can be a good daily and add a fun car latter for the summer

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
check out the review that jason cammisa did.

mk8 would be a good daily with awesome practicality. if you would really opt for GTI I would rather go with Civic Type R (i know there will be a price jump of 5k or so). personally, GTI does not feel that special with adding caveat that ppl claim mk8 is not as good as mk7.
I did look at it many times, and for me it would be a base gti on manual (about 10k$ less than a type r here). Also I couldnt own a type r with that look, I just can't stand it. But a lot or reviews seem to say that as far as driving the mk8 is way better

·
Registered
65 Posts
I own a Mazda 3 hatchback too.
For work I regularly drive Golf 7 and Golf 8. I can tell you that Golf is a major step down from the 7 in terms of interior quality. On top of that it's plagued with really annoying software problems.
Just from my experience with these cars I can tell you these problems:
  • Start Stop failure (engine check light goes on)
  • failure in climate control, only restart helps
  • smart assistant only works every second or third time
  • extremely difficult UI while driving
Even though the Gr86 was only tested as prototype, there has not been a report of problems with the UI or something else. So quality would go with the Gr86.
But I don't know how long you plan to keep these cars. If you want to go for 2-4 years and you really need that trunk space I would consider the facelifted Golf 7 GTI.
If you want to keep your car longer, then go for the GR86.

·
Registered
362 Posts
One of many reasons(but I'll list a few) I chose the BRZ was because it is NOT a turbo. It has both direct and port fuel injection. It is rwd. It has a simpler infotainment system. I own a Mazda CX5 so this is not my only car. At the same time there is some practicality built into the car because it does have rear seats that fold down. My plan is to keep this car at least 5 years. Also this is rework of the original that came out in 2013. Its a Subaru and Toyota product.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I've had two GTI's (mk6, mk7)

I was always in the same boat living in New England, wanted something reasonably fun that could carry things and was comfortable to sit in traffic.

Though being a Volkswagen gal - the new mk8 interior is... yeah... not so great. All the touch/glossy black would drive me nuts as I'm pretty tidy. I like that the 86 is more tactile, basic, and seemingly durable from the materials.

Now I have a wagon to haul bikes, etc so I can get another fun car for the nicer weather.

If I could only have one car, i'd probably go with a hot hatch or something bigger, personally.

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
278 Posts
If you like driving manual dont buy a GTI, or any VW product for that matter. They use the worst clutches on the planet. The manual in any 2.0 VW also uses a spacer washer on the crank shaft that is not found on the DSG equipped cars. That washer fairly often fails and the entire engine blows. Ask me how I know.... As for the MK 8 the all touch interior is a no go for me for sure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've read that some owners of the first gen 86/BRZ/FRS were able to fit skis and stuff in there. It's more practical than it might seem. Might be worth measuring your ski gear to see if it will fit in a new gen or find a used old gen near where you live and test to see if your ski gear will fit in their. The only major difference in terms of interior space with the new gen that I am aware of is the new gen's trunk opening is not as wide as the old one.

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
278 Posts
If you like driving manual dont buy a GTI, or any VW product for that matter. They use the worst clutches on the planet. The manual in any 2.0 VW also uses a spacer washer on the crank shaft that is not found on the DSG equipped cars. That washer fairly often fails and the entire engine blows. Ask me how I know.... As for the MK 8 the all touch interior is a no go for me for sure.
This is true. And the clutch is also about as durable as tissue paper. Ask me how I know. The 1 and only german car I ever had was a 2017 GTI. I heard all the rumors about stock clutches failing by 30k miles and basically disintegrating instantly with a tune. I got to about 10k before I put APR stage 1 tune on mine. Within 5k miles the clutch was shot. I have driven manual for 25 years and have many much more powerful cars with tons of miles Never seen a clutch fail so bad. So whatever..... replace the clutch with a HD unit from ACT. 3k miles later the engine exploded while driving calmly. It was in fact the thrust washer mentioned. Never ever again any german vehicle for me. Lets not pretend like that new GTI interior is user friendly in any way either.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The GTI wasn't as fun as my ST, though reviewers said the former was a more comfortable daily. I don't know what kind of princess-and-the-peas these reviewers were, but I expected the ST to be borderline when I went for a test drive, but it turned out to be about the perfect daily driver to me. Rode great—shrugged off potholes better than my BiL's ATS and I never felt shook up or abused even driving it 40-50k miles/year. Seat bottom was uncomfortable, but I fixed that by chopping half of the side bolster foam out (and I'm not that big a guy) and adding an inch of padding to the back middle of the bottom to fix the weird angle. I also worked on and heard complaints from too many friends with VWs to ever own one. If Ford brought the Mk IV ST here, I would probably have bought that for the practicality over the GR86, but I'm not disappointed because the GR seems like it's going to be more fun than the ST. I'll just have to figure out a solution for the kayaks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts