Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Found out that other Subaru models have 60 mm center caps. Subaru OEM # 28821VA000 is 60 mm and has a black field with no chrome ring and the Subaru chrome oval with chrome stars on blue field. New they are about $28 each but I found an eBay seller offering four good used for $75 with tax & shipping from California.
Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Grille Badge

I wasn’t a fan of the knockoffs:
Wheel Automotive tire Font Rim Bottle cap

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Did not expect them to be nearly that much new. Classic oem parts price I guess....like getting a coke at Disney land
Yeah if you want the Star Wars thermal detonator Coke it will cost ya.

Reactions: jsmongeon24

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Cool offset and tire size calculator.
Water Slope Font Parallel Terrestrial plant

Rectangle Font Parallel Musical instrument Number

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Tread

• Helpful
Reactions: Wayward67

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Fresh rubber in the house!
Tire Automotive tire Package delivery Shipping box Packing materials

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Lots of small blocks for a summer tire...
These are the Conti ECS DWS 06 Plus. It’s a UHP all season. I won’t be on these in the summer. I’ll be back on the MSP4 summers until they get replaced with Conti ECS summers.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Couldn't read the S...just saw DW extreme. Definitely on the performance side of all seasons if I remember correctly.
Yeah these are the best combination I could find of dry, wet, and snow grip & handling combined with decent noise & ride comfort.

Reactions: Wayward67

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yeah not sure which ones I'll go after but I have essentially the same weather, if not more mild.
I was teetering toward the Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate due to better wet performance and lower cost, but I couldn’t pull the trigger when I read about quality problems & customer complaints on Tire Rack. I eliminated the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 because of noise & ride quality concerns.

·
Registered
'22 MT GR86 Grey
151 Posts
Just answering the original question: I'm keeping the stock PilotSport4 on a new set of 18" rims for summer, and going with Michelin CrossClimate2 on the stock 18" rims for colder months. It only snows once or twice per winter in Tokyo, and I plan to avoid driving on snow outside of the city where possible.

Picking the CrossClimates because they just seem to be the most solid winter tire, without going full winter tire. Great cold weather performance, but also won't wear through like a dedicated soft winter tire would.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
These will look pretty close to oem once you add subaru center caps.
The set of good used OEM 60 mm Subaru caps from eBay arrived. Here they are lined up next to the aftermarket caps. OCD alert: last OEM cap is upside-down. :p

To my chagrin, the "60 mm" OEM Subaru caps were a little too small to properly snap into the aftermarket Liquid Metal SHIFT wheels. They just fell deeply into the hole:

I decided I could cut off the plastic 'fingers' with a Dremel, grind them smooth, and glue them onto the aftermarket center caps.

To my great delight, I discovered that the OEM emblems were attached to the OEM caps with double-sided adhesive foam. It was very easy to just pry off the emblems.

I cleaned the adhesive residue off the back of the emblems and de-greased them. They turned out to be a perfect fit onto the top of the aftermarket caps.

I mixed up some JB Weld epoxy and attached them to the aftermarket caps. I used one of the junked OEM caps as the mixing cup for the epoxy.

The finished result:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Cool offset and tire size calculator.
Does anybody know if that 0.8% diameter decrease with the 17s converts directly into a .8% decrease in road speed at a given gear/RPM? This could be a nice way of slightly decreasing the effective final drive ratio of the AT car, which has such ridiculously long gearing (67 mph in 2nd IIRC). (Although looking more closely at the numbers .8% of 67 means you'd only be getting the top speed in 2nd down to at best 66 mph so it's hardly significant.) The speedo will also be showing .8% more speed with those 17" tires....

Of course if you want to stick with the 18" wheels for appearance's sake it would force you to a thinner sidewall to get this advantage, with consequent negative effects on ride quality.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Does anybody know if that 0.8% diameter decrease with the 17s converts directly into a .8% decrease in road speed at a given gear/RPM?
No, because circumference C = πd. So the change in circumference, ΔC, varies at π (~3.14) * the change in diameter, Δd.

ΔC = πΔd

The calculator above shows that wheel revolutions go from 215 per mile to 220 per mile. So (220-215)/215 = 0.023 = 2.3% increase in wheel speed, which does appear like a lower gear ratio as you suggest.

• Helpful
Reactions: Devon

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I went with the T6 TPMS sensors from Tire Rack. No programming or cloning required, just using a TPMS tool to relearn to the car via OBDII.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
So, here's the 17" Limited "clone" wheel mounted to the rear of the car with the 18" Limited wheel still on the front. Looks pretty legit to me!

And here's the car with the new "BRZ Limited" 17s:

I like to use copper anti-seize for dissimilar metals like aluminum and iron/steel. I'm hoping this prevents galvanic actions that might "weld" the hubcentric rings to the brake rotors.

Grrr...hate the single-use peened-over hub nut.

Also, here's the TPMS relearning story.

Reactions: Kamber
21 - 40 of 45 Posts