Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a little caught up in the excitement of "winter" tires and was planning to go that route, but lately I've reconsidered the realities of winter here in the Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky area.

Winter here consists of a lot of overcast, humid, drizzly days with temperatures in the mid-30s to mid-40s F. We get some snow days, but roads are usually cleared quickly. Usually we'll see salty slush and at worst we'd see actual packed snow if you are among the first out in the morning or if you are caught in an active snowstorm. We sometimes get clear, frigid weather with temperatures dropping into the single digits F or even below 0° F. When that happens, roads conditions are typically dry. Our worst winter road conditions are freezing rain and sleet, and sometimes there can be black ice in the morning or in shaded areas where there was snow melt running across the road.

I have the option to work from home, and truthfully in recent years I avoid getting on the road and going to work when there's snow, sleet, or freezing rain. If I'm at work and bad weather is predicted, I will leave early and go home before it gets really bad.

So...I'm thinking about getting UHP All Season / All Weather tires for use during the colder months, and switching back to UHP Summer tires when there's no threat of temperatures below say 45° F.

Is anyone else thinking along these lines? I know some have said they will go Summer / Winter or just go All Season / All Weather year-round.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Honestly, just MPSA/S4 or Conti ExtremeCont DWS06 Plus. If you don't need to drive and wont really drive around during the winter anyway, can't go wrong with either. Conti's have lower tread life however. They are really similar in terms of performance. MPSA/S4 has more road noise, they repaved the highway by me and my set SINGS. On the older pavement, it doesn't nearly make as much noise.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Step One, wheels, completed. I'm a cheapskate in some things and not in others. I didn't want to spend a fortune on winter wheels but neither can I abide the $69 black steelies.

This afternoon I was browsing Discount Tire and found a discontinued wheel on closeout, in stock, about an hour's drive away up in suburban Cincinnati. $101.95 each! I called to confirm they actually had them in the store, jumped in the BRZ and headed up there.

I was hoping for something that mimicked the OEM Limited 18's, but in 17 inch. These Liquid Metal SHIFT wheels are 17x7.5, 5-100, +40 with ten spokes (like the OEM Limited) in gunmetal. They are a decent facsimile of the OEM Limited wheels. The color is similar in tone to the OEM wheel but is a little bluer whereas the OEM is a little grayer.

The visualizer is annoying on the website. If you have Limited trim selected, it shows you the wheels as 18" regardless of the size you are looking at. If you select Premium trim, it shows you the 17" wheel size but now the wrong color for Sapphire Blue Pearl.

Did somebody say our car is practical?

I only opened one of the wheels. The beauty side was protected with cling wrap covered by a black cloth "shower cap" and then a plastic rim protector. The quality is "good enough" for a winter setup and definitely "good enough" for $100 apiece. I found one little wavering spot in the casting along the outside of the rim. It will be invisible mounted on the car.

I need to measure the center cap and find out if Subaru caps would fit or not.

I haven't yet checked if I need "centering rings"...that's a new concept for me. I've only purchased one set of aftermarket wheels before, and that was for a passenger car where the tire shop set everything up for me. The salesman did sell me a set of fairly basic plated lug nuts in a special star pattern that need a special socket that came with them. They aren't a thing of beauty but the salesperson said my stock lug nuts likely won't fit the smaller openings on these wheels and still leave enough clearance for a standard socket.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Honestly, just MPSA/S4 or Conti ExtremeCont DWS06 Plus. If you don't need to drive and wont really drive around during the winter anyway, can't go wrong with either. Conti's have lower tread life however. They are really similar in terms of performance. MPSA/S4 has more road noise, they repaved the highway by me and my set SINGS. On the older pavement, it doesn't nearly make as much noise.
I think the MPSA/S4 might be too loud. I'm wondering about the Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate. It came in second in Tyre Reviews' "7 Of The Best Ultra High Performance All Season Tires" but it did well in categories I'm interested in, namely wet & dry handling and noise/comfort. It fell a little short in dry braking ((n)) and according to Tire Rack, not great in snow, (the category of less concern to me so 👌). Sounds like the Conti ExtremeCont DWS06 Plus and the Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate are pretty close in most regards including noise/comfort, with the Goodyear having the edge in wet/dry and the Conti being better in snow/ice.

·
Registered
123 Posts
As I have replied in other thread, I think given the climate, it's best to go Summer and all weather. Don't go all season/all weather for all year, that's a big loss on nice summer days. I tried summer winter setups, didn't work so well, I don't really need winter tires and between seasons it was 60F in city and snow in mountains and I was stuck with using winter tires. I do have performance winter set up. I had to replace my summer setup and I went with all season and ended up with all season and winter, which sucks for me. If I could redo, I would do summer continental extremecontact sport and cross climate 3 for winter for Stinger. For BRZ I would not be driving it for snow days, so might just keep summer tires all around. For pilot I am getting CC3 all year around.

Unlike you and me, someone who sees snow a lot, they should get proper winter tires. There are 3 categories in them as well
1. Studdable
2. Studless snow tires
3. Performance snow tires
Which are good for different scenarios.

I would say don't go by laptime on tires. Rather look at stopping distance, hydroplaning etc.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing your experiences, @ruturaj1989. I'm thinking exactly like you, that I would not want to be stuck with the all season / all weather tires during the change of seasons. Heck, sometimes we get a sunny day with 60° F in January and February.

I absolutely love the Continental Extreme Contact Sport for a summer tire. They are brilliant on my 124 Spider! Great grip wet or dry, very comfortable ride, and nearly silent. I am looking forward to replacing the OEM MPS4S because of the loudness on concrete highways.

Reactions: ruturaj1989

·
Registered
GR86 MT Pavement
1,034 Posts
I think you could go with all weather tires in most any climate with this car. What I mean is that if it's bad enough, that 3pmsf is not enough, then you should probably stay home or drive the truck/ outback.

I've been through some absolutely nasty weather with cheap , and I mean cheap snow tires that are worse than nokian wrg4s and it was not an issue.
Granted fresh blizzacks on the Forester was like winter didn't exist. They did feel melted on days over 35°F though.

As my wife says, Long story long, it's my opinion that anything more aggressive than performance winters/ all weather's and you should stay home/ drive something you're not worried about a little road rash.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These will look pretty close to oem once you add subaru center caps. Nice find for the price.
Regarding the hub rings: According to the sticker they have a 73.1 mm bore. The car has 56.1 mm. So you’d need an 73.1 to 56.1 hub centric ring
That’s really helpful, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
These will look pretty close to oem once you add subaru center caps. Nice find for the price.
Regarding the hub rings: According to the sticker they have a 73.1 mm bore. The car has 56.1 mm. So you’d need an 73.1 to 56.1 hub centric ring
I'm amazed that you could read the sticker! I didn't even notice the Bore size specification. 👍

Just placed an order for these "stancemagic" units.

Reactions: Paschal

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I narrowed my choices down to the Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate and the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus. I rejected the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 due to concerns about noise and harshness.

Bottom Line Up Front (B.L.U.F): I went with the Contis.

Even though I have steered clear of Goodyear for many years due to bad impressions from new OEM applications, I was leaning toward Goodyear for potentially better wet/dry handling and maybe lower noise. It seems like they may have turned themselves around and started making good tires again. Even though priced higher on Tire Rack - if you use their credit card to double your rebates - you can get the pre-tax cost down to about $475 for a set of 215/45-R17.

However, looking at the customer reviews side-by-side on Tire Rack, the Goodyear had lower ratings in every category and there were the kind of "bad Goodyear" stories that I remember, things like tires being out-of-round and shaking, or uneven tread wear.

By contrast, customers seemed to generally love the Contis. I will probably be glad I went with them in the end because they do outperform the Goodyears in snow and on ice.

Final cost for tires:
  • Tires with free shipping, tax, and free 2-year road hazard: $640
  • Installation at local Midas with 5-star installer reviews on Tire Rack: $94
  • Total: $734 or $184 / tire
Final cost for wheels:
All in:
  • $1304 or $326 per tire & wheel installed
  • Still need (4) TMPS Denso 550-0118 and a relearn tool

Reactions: jsmongeon24

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like the OEM center caps are about 50 mm diameter and the aftermarket wheels are 60 mm. Wondering if there are any 60 mm Subaru caps from other models? Or maybe they are available aftermarket.
Wheel Automotive tire Car Hood Motor vehicle

Light Automotive tire Audio equipment Gas Font

Inside view and closeups of info about the wheels.
Wheel Automotive tire Light Locking hubs Alloy wheel

Font Rectangle Ticket Gas Label

Font Material property Rectangle Motor vehicle Tire

1 - 20 of 45 Posts