Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
341 - 360 of 367 Posts

· Registered
3,933 Posts
@Ritter - show me where I ridiculed anyone for having a preference different from my own.
Show me a post where I accused you of so doing.

My contention is that you have thrown in with that lot and by association you accept & support the notion that ridiculing different choices & opinions is part & parcel of participating in a format such as this, and should not be countered.

· Registered
119 Posts
I am an old guy who has driven/owned many fast cars,motorcycles,3 wheelers, and I still have my 88 Quadzilla. The point is that I love to drive fast and always have. I am unclear about the hatred of automatic transmissions in the GR. I had a corvette that lifted the front end off the ground at 135. I had an automatic 2013 FRS as my sales rep job in SoCal traffic doing 35000 miles a year (😒) and I loved having the automatic. I had 1 of 350 1993 RX7's in CYM and it was the best driving car at high speed. I did 184 in that 5 speed and it stuck to the road like glue. With dual clutch automatic transmissions they have become quicker than ever before. I looked up some supercars and many have automatic transmissions such as the 2022 Mclaren 720S( 0 to 60 in 2.8 ang gets 22mpg ). If you happen to see an old guy passing you in an orange SE automatic its possibly me so just wave, beep your horn and smile because my knees are bad so I can't push a clutch anymore and I can barely see you. The real advantage of driving the manual these days is that you feel more engaged in the driving process AND that ALOT of people don't know how to do it. If you read my rambling thoughts, I thank you and happy motoring however you choose to do it... I hope to live long enough to take delivery LOL
Just bring this post back to topic...
I grew up on automatics because my Dad grew up on manuals & never wanted to shift gears anymore when he immigrated to California. While my Dad hoarded auto cars when we were growing up as kids & he did have a manual 1986 Nissan 200sx that he would putt around town in but he never bothered to teach me, my younger brothers or my Mom how to drive stick. As a teenager I had always wondered what the point of stick shift was as I didn't know any better? Getting into cars at that early age I always had this mystique that manual cars were just the cool performance thing to have. I remember seeing a 300Z that I thought was so awesome but then got bummed out that it was an auto, even though I didn't have the skill to drive it at the time. I never actually learned to drive a stick until my mid 20's after I got out of the military & have been hooked ever since as I finally understood how much more fun driving is with a manual. I swap all the muscle cars I have now into six speeds & even daily drive one of the very rare newer Toyota Corolla 6 speeds despite my left knee injury.

I don't think its a hatred of automatics that manual transmission proponents have, rather the fear of losing the manual transmission altogether that gives me anxiety. It would just suck to have all EV automatics available when my newborn eventually reaches the age when he gets into cars.

· Registered
Black 2022 GR86 6MT
95 Posts
Just bring this post back to topic...
I grew up on automatics because my Dad grew up on manuals & never wanted to shift gears anymore when he immigrated to California. While my Dad hoarded auto cars when we were growing up as kids & he did have a manual 1986 Nissan 200sx that he would putt around town in but he never bothered to teach me, my younger brothers or my Mom how to drive stick. As a teenager I had always wondered what the point of stick shift was as I didn't know any better? Getting into cars at that early age I always had this mystique that manual cars were just the cool performance thing to have. I remember seeing a 300Z that I thought was so awesome but then got bummed out that it was an auto, even though I didn't have the skill to drive it at the time. I never actually learned to drive a stick until my mid 20's after I got out of the military & have been hooked ever since as I finally understood how much more fun driving is with a manual. I swap all the muscle cars I have now into six speeds & even daily drive one of the very rare newer Toyota Corolla 6 speeds despite my left knee injury.

I don't think its a hatred of automatics that manual transmission proponents have, rather the fear of losing the manual transmission altogether that gives me anxiety. It would just suck to have all EV automatics available when my newborn eventually reaches the age when he gets into cars.
exactly my sentiments. Automatics getting better and better was a sad development for me because less manuals were built. True that it also means less buyers for the manuals, but sometimes car builders make shitty manuals because it’s not a large segment of their sales. Not that long ago the Nissan maxima had a manual. At that time, I thought it might be the Japanese answer to a 535 w a manual. Problem was that the shift quality stunk.

· Registered
12 Posts
well said. I mean there are people that do think it's something to be proud of to know how to drive stick and "look down" on people who don't, but that's stupid. It's just the way it goes with more people picking autos and that even sports cars come fewer in manuals now. 10-20 yrs from now, if i wanna switch cars and try something else, not only choice of models of cars will be limited, but also how many of that model is available in manual.

there are relatively more exciting autos out there. but those tend to be the more expensive ones - PDKs or well tuned ZFs out there. Maybe Koeniggsegg could be a good bro to the car enthusiast crowd and make whatever patents they have on their CC850 gearbox (manual AND auto depending on what you feel like) to be applied to all sporty cars, then you can have the best of both worlds.

· Registered
3,933 Posts
It’s also true that the added sales unit volume from the optional automatic makes the car financially viable at all. The choices are 6MT standard & 6AT optional, or no car and no choice.

Reactions: DylanJZA

· Registered
Black 2022 GR86 6MT
95 Posts
It’s also true that the added sales unit volume from the optional automatic makes the car financially viable at all. The choices are 6MT standard & 6AT optional, or no car and no choice.
fair point. I was going to counter with the civic si as a manual only option, but then again, that’s just a trim level and there are loads of AT civics sold up and down their trim range with the Si being the only exception. Viability is a must….gotta keep the suits happy.

· Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 base 6mt
445 Posts
I agree with this. If offering an automatic means they make more money, which means they continue to offer cars like this, that's awesome.
Wonder what the sales split is for BRZ. Since you're able to actually place an order for one, it would better show the real demand for auto/man.
Couldn't trust Toyota's sales split, since their motto is "you get what you get, and you don't pitch a fit".

· Registered
3,933 Posts

· Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 base 6mt
445 Posts
@Chris1 - wasn’t able to order a brz recently (and about 9 months ago here in PA (also tried NJ)
Well, sound like we can't trust Subaru or Toyota sales to show us the real transmission demand.

Because of that, I'm going to say the true demand is 98% manual, 1% automatic, and 1% I thought this was a Supra.....

· Registered
153 Posts
I agree with this. If offering an automatic means they make more money, which means they continue to offer cars like this, that's awesome.
Wonder what the sales split is for BRZ. Since you're able to actually place an order for one, it would better show the real demand for auto/man.
Couldn't trust Toyota's sales split, since their motto is "you get what you get, and you don't pitch a fit".
Boring SUVs are what sell sports cars. Ask Porsche. The Cayenne saved everything and the 1st real big budget 911 was the 991. People forget that.

· Registered
2006 Mazda3 sedan manual transmission
10 Posts
personally, I prefer manuals if there's an option most of the times. But also have chosen auto sometimes. Just recently chose PDK over manual simply because I wanted to feel the 6k rpm dump launch control on the 4 liter cayman - and when I experienced that first time, PDK became the only auto that I might choose over manual -but that's just me.

The Supra i had was an auto (at the time no manual option) but still loved it. if I were buying the supra now, i'd of course go with the manual.

I considered getting my Taco as a manual, but hated the idea of not being able to heal / toe downshift a manual because truck pedal placements aren't meant for that.

Other sports / sporty cars I've had were manuals (mk7.5 GTI / mk4 GLI / 1st gen IS300) and love them / miss them - used to have a BRZ until recently that I miss terribly, hence why I'm in the market for a manual GR86 now.

I don't care if someone buys a manual as an individual - it's their choice. some people don't know how to drive stick and that's fine. I personally had to force my situation to have a chance to learn - first car was a shtbox honda my parents got me as my first car that was auto, and didn't have money until after college to pick my own car. so I had my friends teach me and practice on their cars here and there until i bought my own. Some people buy cars for looks or how they look in it, and that's fine.

but at a larger scale of the market, it is sad as an enthusiast that there are fewer and fewer manual versions of cars available new or used since more and more people buy auto sports cars.
Very good reply that you made. I started with a first car at age 16 being a manual transmission and it was a 1970 Doge Charger R/T with a pistol grip tall shifter and it had a 383 Magnum engine. I have been hooked on manuals ever since. Also , I first learned how to drive a manual shift with the three on the column of old days! I myself bought a 2003 Nissan 350Z with an automatic because the test drive sold me on the car and the manual was not available at the time. That is when I realized that even an automatic with select shifting in a very nice sports car did not satisfy me for more than 6 months. As long as I am able to shift gears, my cars shall be with a manual. Even though I don't care what other people do, their buying automatics just because they are on the lot vs waiting on a manual is what has caused the manuals to die out. And the fact that most generations do not even know how to drive a manual. In my youth, almost everyone knew how and could, but most of the ladies would rather have the automatic instead. It has never been about which one runs quicker 0-60 times for me, I no longer do street racing. I don't mind placing an order to get what I want with the features I wanted, for example... I ordered my 1976 Pontiac Trans AM 455 / 4 speed / without air conditioning , but even that has changed from my youth, I don't know of any cars you can really order just the way you want it just for you. Yes you can place an order and hope one comes in the way you desire and most dealers also try to trade another dealer to get what you want.

· Registered
2006 Mazda3 sedan manual transmission
10 Posts
If you want an AT buy an AT. If you want a manual buy a manual. Everybody here is an adult so why care what somebody else thinks of your car? All that matters is that you are happy with it.

Personally I don't see the appeal of an AT sports car. But I only drive my car for fun and since speed limits around here are fairly low the extra speed of an AT doesn't really matter to me. Instead I'd rather have "more to do".

But I can appreciate other people have different needs.
Well said! The only reason I care about more people insisting on a manual is because of them fading out due to low sales numbers. Most people want to buy a new car the day they decide to and will take whatever is on the sales lot. That includes color choices and transmission choices and the extras they want. This is how the packages now offered today came about because more people will take the car with some extras they don't desire but not one that doesn't have what they particularly wanted like heated seats or moon roof, etc... So, even though there are still a lot of us wanting a manual, the majority rules the way of sales. Even the government fuel mileage requirements affect the manufacturers decisions.

341 - 360 of 367 Posts