Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
The question is what engine they will put in it. The Yaris engine would not be happening because I think it is too expensive(emmissions certification) and it would be hard for Toyota to keep a GR Corolla under 40K. I would suggest that Toyota is not making money on the GR Yaris as it has some pretty expensive technology for the price they are asking. So the question is what turbo four engine would they put in it if not the Yaris engine. Are there any turbo four engines in Toyota's current line up for the US? I don't think there are. They could possibly do a set up from the Rav 4 Hybrid. Doesn't its combo have 300 HP? This of course fueled the speculation that this could be an easy tie up with Subaru as they already have a WRX new platform. From a cost perspective its easier to do then to try and modify a Corolla FWD platform. If Toyota truly wants to get high volume sales out of this there going to have to keep the price under 35K. I'm not saying they would do it or even speculate what Toyota is thinking. However, logic dictates to team up with Subaru if they want to offer AWD and a turbo engine.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The question is what engine they will put in it. The Yaris engine would not be happening because I think it is too expensive(emmissions certification) and it would be hard for Toyota to keep a GR Corolla under 40K. I would suggest that Toyota is not making money on the GR Yaris as it has some pretty expensive technology for the price they are asking. So the question is what turbo four engine would they put in it if not the Yaris engine. Are there any turbo four engines in Toyota's current line up for the US? I don't think there are. They could possibly do a set up from the Rav 4 Hybrid. Doesn't its combo have 300 HP? This of course fueled the speculation that this could be an easy tie up with Subaru as they already have a WRX new platform. From a cost perspective its easier to do then to try and modify a Corolla FWD platform. If Toyota truly wants to get high volume sales out of this there going to have to keep the price under 35K. I'm not saying they would do it or even speculate what Toyota is thinking. However, logic dictates to team up with Subaru if they want to offer AWD and a turbo engine.
It’s already pretty much all but confirmed to be the GR Yaris with 4 doors. Lmao (GR Yaris has the rear portion of the Corolla anyhow) and the Hydrogen Corolla that’s been racing around has the 3 cylinder in it converted to hydrogen. We’ve had this conversation before, it’s confirmed to be a pure Toyota Sports vehicle, even per website.
Font Terrestrial plant Document Publication Rectangle

Only thing people aren’t sure about is if it’s getting the Yaris 260hp 3 cylinder or the GRMN 290hp engine.
An considering Toyota only selling a the GR Yaris overseas, if they collabed with anyone again to make this car there would be a outrage. 😂 Especially after Akio himself said he wanted a pure Toyota in his lineup.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It’s already pretty much all but confirmed to be the GR Yaris with 4 doors. Lmao (GR Yaris has the rear portion of the Corolla anyhow). We’ve had this conversation before, it’s confirmed to be a pure Toyota Sports vehicle, even per website.

Only thing people aren’t sure about is if it’s getting the Yaris 260hp 3 cylinder or the GRMN 290hp engine.
An considering Toyota only selling a the GR Yaris overseas, if they collabed with anyone again to make this car there would be a outrage. 😂 Especially after Akio himself said he wanted a pure Toyota in his lineup.
What car does the grmn engine come in? When I do a google search all I find is a 1.8liter supercharged yaris engine putting out 209hp.

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
467 Posts
I think the reason the US didn't get the GR Yaris was not because of emissions (EU have the harshest), it was because as a homologation car they were only going to make a limited number which meant it was not worth making it in LHD. That's why it sold in the places it did. The UK, Japan, and Australia.

That 1.6l turbo 3 banger is definitely going in more cars - highly likely the corolla. I don't expect it to be cheap. Think a bit under the CTR.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think the reason the US didn't get the GR Yaris was not because of emissions (EU have the harshest), it was because as a homologation car they were only going to make a limited number which meant it was not worth making it in LHD. That's why it sold in the places it did. The UK, Japan, and Australia.

That 1.6l turbo 3 banger is definitely going in more cars - highly likely the corolla. I don't expect it to be cheap. Think a bit under the CTR.
The GR Yaris is available in LHD. Doug Demuro made a video with a LHD one from Mexico.

The reason it wasn't sold in US/Canada is because the fourth-gen Yaris was never sold here period. The last Yaris we got from 2015-2020 was a rebadged Mazda2. If the fourth-gen Yaris was sold here we more than likely would have gotten the GR.

·
Super Moderator
467 Posts
The GR Yaris is available in LHD. Doug Demuro made a video with a LHD one from Mexico.

The reason it wasn't sold in US/Canada is because the fourth-gen Yaris was never sold here period. The last Yaris we got from 2015-2020 was a rebadged Mazda2. If the fourth-gen Yaris was sold here we more than likely would have gotten the GR.
Ahh I see.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For GR supra, lower a dozen grand get you a Z400, upper a dozen get you M2, which both has manual and M2 adds the practicality on top of it. hard to chew that price of Supra personally.

·
Registered
549 Posts

Emissions and size pretty much per AutomotivePress

·
Registered
549 Posts
Its got great emissions though... That's so strange. I think its better MPG and emissions than the GR86!
I actually meant regulations, sorry for that. Because euro is stricter on emissions then we are. I also just remember the common reply for why the Yaris isn’t here is it’s too small and Toyota doesn’t want to spend money crash testing again or something along those lines.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Toyota is the largest shareholders of Subaru at 20 percent. So one could make the point that making a car with them would still be a pure Toyota.
I like your idea but no. Yea the whole BRZ/86 project is more of a collab then the Supra project, even the boxer uses the D4S system. But we’re talking pure Toyota as in not another manufacturer building the car.

There’s a distinct difference in how Toyota would design/engineer a car then from how Subaru would (by themselves). GR Yaris and the WRX for example have different characteristics, ways they’re built, modding capabilities, etc.

Considering Toyota made a new assembly line in Motomachi to build the GR Yaris, you would also get better quality/fit and finish due to things being hand assembled there by the same people who assembled the LFA and other Lexus products.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Again the problem again is price. If the GR Corolla is priced above 40K the sales volume quotient is going to be drastically reduced. The only way a GR Corolla cold be a sales success is if the price point is in the very low 30's. But the other argument is that Toyota can afford to have a few losses if it becomes some sort of "Halo" car. Flipping back, however, that was the whole point in collaborating with Subaru for the 86/BRZ. They figured small volume and the need to keep costs down. Hatchbacks sell better in Europe and other countries than they do in the US. So again, it just does not make sense to me that Toyota would gamble on a GR Corolla developed completely in house. It would make more sense if they put the hardware into an AWD SUV/Crossover and make it a Kona N competitor. VW does not sell a high volume of Golf R's or GTI's right now. I'm sure Honda sells a lot more Civics than Civic Type R's.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Again the problem again is price. If the GR Corolla is priced above 40K the sales volume quotient is going to be drastically reduced. The only way a GR Corolla cold be a sales success is if the price point is in the very low 30's. But the other argument is that Toyota can afford to have a few losses if it becomes some sort of "Halo" car. Flipping back, however, that was the whole point in collaborating with Subaru for the 86/BRZ. They figured small volume and the need to keep costs down. Hatchbacks sell better in Europe and other countries than they do in the US. So again, it just does not make sense to me that Toyota would gamble on a GR Corolla developed completely in house. It would make more sense if they put the hardware into an AWD SUV/Crossover and make it a Kona N competitor. VW does not sell a high volume of Golf R's or GTI's right now. I'm sure Honda sells a lot more Civics than Civic Type R's.
The issue is there is no evidence that the GR Corolla is a collab outside of 1 rumor that Subaru is developing a hatch for WRC with Toyota and that was 5 months ago or so. Other then that it’s been more articles and the Toyota website already hinting at a PURE Toyota Sports vehicle, all popping up in 2020 with the GR Yaris release.

AutomotivePress who has worked with Toyota before and has friends still in has said the Gr Corolla will be a Yaris with 4 doors. They ride on the same platform and even said the development happened alongside the Yaris. There’s 2 ways Toyota saves money when building cars, that’s by frankensteining and reusing cars like the RCF/LC500 (RCF is a IS, ISC,GS. LC500 is reused in the Mirai, LS) or they collab. It would actually be more money to develop a car with Subaru right now then to just take the GR Yaris powertrain and drivetrain and stick it in a Corolla, which they already have been doing in Rookie Racing with the Hydrogen car.
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

·
Registered
322 Posts
I understand what you are saying. However for the US it still does not make sense when Toyota owns 20% of Subaru. By doing a 4dr Yaris they would still be making a competing vehicle to the WRX and STI who have a long history of selling these vehicles in the US. Toyota has not sold a hot hatch in this country since the early 90's I'm guessing. I believed they used the same engine from the original RWD AE86 coupe. Toyota has had a history of not staying with an enthusiast product line. The MR2 has had a few lives but it could not compete against the Miata even if it was technically a better vehicle being mid engined. Yes they(Toyota) are good a frankensteining but Lexus vehicles sell in a very different price range with a higher profit margin then a Corolla or Yaris. I can't imagine that a GR Yaris engine is cheap to produce and 4dr Hatchbacks are a tough sell even at 35K in the US market. Toyota knows full well that the market here is SUV's and Crossovers. It does not make good financial sense to jump into the performance hatch market now. I could see it in Euro and elsewhere though. If a production prototype vehicle pops up I will call you the ultimate auto profit predictor.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I understand what you are saying. However for the US it still does not make sense when Toyota owns 20% of Subaru. By doing a 4dr Yaris they would still be making a competing vehicle to the WRX and STI who have a long history of selling these vehicles in the US. Toyota has not sold a hot hatch in this country since the early 90's I'm guessing. I believed they used the same engine from the original RWD AE86 coupe. Toyota has had a history of not staying with an enthusiast product line. The MR2 has had a few lives but it could not compete against the Miata even if it was technically a better vehicle being mid engined. Yes they(Toyota) are good a frankensteining but Lexus vehicles sell in a very different price range with a higher profit margin then a Corolla or Yaris. I can't imagine that a GR Yaris engine is cheap to produce and 4dr Hatchbacks are a tough sell even at 35K in the US market. Toyota knows full well that the market here is SUV's and Crossovers. It does not make good financial sense to jump into the performance hatch market now. I could see it in Euro and elsewhere though. If a production prototype vehicle pops up I will call you the ultimate auto profit predictor.
Well yeah that’s why they’re still selling the GR Yaris, technically it was suppose to be a limited run but now it’s just being produced as a normal performance offering with long wait times. The big thing AutomotivePress was stressing on is the GR Corolla being a way of gaining back cost on the powertrain.

As far as Toyota and Subaru, the GR Corolla is rumored to be released next year with Toyota announcing the hot hatch in 2020. That’s a 2 year span. (Supra was made in 8 years with a chassis from scratch, the twins were made in 5 with a chopped up, reconfigured impreza chassis) There’s no way financially Toyota would start a new build with Subaru in that short amount of time instead of just taking the Yaris powertrain and dropping it in the Corolla (which they have been). That’s where you’re not making sense to me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts