Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
GR86 Manual - Premium Halo White
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its really my only complaint about this car. Bluetooth doesn't connect half the time, android auto is more like 70% of the time, and why on earth doesn't it equalize the volume between the two? Many times when you plug in your phone the car will blow you ears out and I can't figure out why. Also, I have noticed that many times when you select a song on spotify while connected, it will just play a random song as if it skipped it somehow. Calling is also hit or miss, and I have found that lately the whole system will just freeze up and not react for like a minute or more after starting the car. Not really a constructive post, just wondered if anyone else shared my frustrations.

· Registered
7 Posts
Subaru developed the infotainment system. It just uses their starlink system. I haven't had any of the issues you're describing. I would recommend checking for an OTA update and if that doesn't work take it in to the dealer.

· Registered
784 Posts
Mine disconnects/reconnects every couple days for about 10 seconds. It’s annoying. I also find that you might want to wait for the system to boot up before connecting to it (if hard wired) as mine will sometimes refuse to recognize the phone if I don’t and I have to clear the car and phone and reauthorize it, which is a real PITA as it will usually take several times for it to take. Seems like a pretty simple software update would fix this and it’s been well over a year now, so I imagine they DGAF at this point.

· Registered
3,324 Posts
On Bluetooth the volume is controlled by the output level on your device, so if you have it set low, you will turn up the volume on the head unit. Then when you plug in it's a high-level digital signal, and the volume will be too high if you've left it up for Bluetooth. You would want to run your device on max volume with Bluetooth to better equalize levels compared to plugging in.

· Registered
2022 Trueno Blue 6MT GR86
338 Posts
Also, I have noticed that many times when you select a song on spotify while connected, it will just play a random song as if it skipped it somehow.
Do you add songs to the queue? That's the reason my does that and sometimes when I go on and back off wifi, it'll reset the queue selection. But I haven't had any of the problems you mentioned, only the random sometimes daily disconnect and reconnect for about 10 secs like Duchess mentioned.

· Registered
423 Posts
…just wondered if anyone else shared my frustrations.
No. I haven’t had issues like you’re describing.

I don’t think I’ve ever dropped a Bluetooth connection in this car. I haven’t had any volume issues. CarPlay seems to glitch on me once every few weeks, but it restarts/resumes in a few seconds without me needing to do anything. (Unlike our VW, where I have to unplug & reconnect the USB cable.)

You and I are using different devices (iOS/Android) and different apps (I don’t normally use Spotify). I don’t know how much those variables play into our different experiences.

· Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
3,176 Posts
I have none of these complaints. My bluetooth connects every time and never drops. Android auto has worked perfectly on the 2 phones I have had while owning the car. As mentioned above sound quality is going to match to the phone that is outputting the signal. I like LG and motorola phones because you can create custom sound profiles for each source. That means I can have individual settings for my car, earbuds, soundbar, alexa speakers, etc. I would look into updating phone software of possible and a high quality cable to plug into the car.

· Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
2,032 Posts
My phone loses GPS in the car really easily I've found, with some days being really terrible.

Even though the in built tom tom system is not quite as neat as android maps, its so much more reliable for me and had pretty good speed camera warning stuff. It also integrates more with the dash than the android one like for turn notifications popping up over the left information area when you get within a 1.6km - which I appreciate because I don't usually need to take my eyes across to the entertainment system to navigate.

· Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
3,176 Posts
For the Brz people, can you confirm you got the latest update? For carplay, are you using the wired connection? For myself, I use Carlinkit no issues.
BRZ guy here. I did do the head unit update. I didnt have issues before and I dont after. I use wired connection with android.

· Registered
14 Posts
I have only experienced one weirdness when I was listening to music from my iPhone. It switched to the radio briefly then switched back to the iPhone music I had been listening to. What I would REALLY like to see is a replacement panel in the rear "seat" area that allows larger speakers to replace the pitiful tiny speakers they put back there. If we could use 6-1/2" full range speakers in that panel it would make a world of difference in the sound quality of our stereos. I cannot believe that Crutchfield or another company isn't already producing a replacement panel that would accommodate a larger speaker.

· Registered
GR86 Manual - Premium Halo White
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you guys have a USB C cable recommendation? I suppose I never thought about that being the option. The wireless Motorola one looks cool but idk where I would keep it. Glovebox maybe? That is also assuming that USB port supports Auto

· Registered
210 Posts
Do you guys have a USB C cable recommendation? I suppose I never thought about that being the option. The wireless Motorola one looks cool but idk where I would keep it. Glovebox maybe? That is also assuming that USB port supports Auto
There's a USB in the glovebox? I thought there was only a 12V outlet there & the only USBs are in the center console/cupholder.

As for the cable, I've always just gotten something with lots of positive -real- reviews from Amazon when I need it. Anker is usually good. Usually when I start having a connection problem the very first thing I do is try a different cable.

The volume equalization thing from your first post is not unique to this car. My wife's Cherokee is the opposite. The volume of audio over a wired Android Auto connection is a lot lower than the radio volume. And unlike Bluetooth, there is no adjusting the output from your phone.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts