Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My BRZ is supposed to be here on Jan 1st. I currently driving a 2010 WRX that I have owned since new. I have never traded in a car before (have always sold privately) and was wondering if anyone had any advice? I definitely will only trade it if they give me an offer that would be roughly in line with what I could get privately minus the tax savings I will get by trading it in (my total tax on the BRZ is gonna be about $3k.)

My big question right now is whether I should replace the windshield. Like most Colorado cars that have been driven in the mountains, it has some cracks. The cracks are only on the passenger side and don't interfere with the view from the driver's perspective (I usually forget that they are even there.) They are long enough, however, that they are probably beyond what a windshield repair could do. The cost to replace the windshield is $540. My insurance would pay for it, but I have a $500 deductible so it's not worth going that route and possibly increasing my premiums just to save $40.

I guess I'm wondering if it would make a big enough difference in trade-in price to make it worth the hassle to get it fixed? If I end up selling it privately I'd probably just discount the asking price a bit to compensate for the windshield repair and let the buyer decide if they want it fixed or not (like I said, the cracks don't interfere with driving at all.) I am pretty sure it will sell quickly due to the crazy market right now and the fact that for a 2010 it only has 77K miles and is in great condition overall (it's also a hatchback which is more desirable in CO for a WRX.)

Also, should I get it detailed or anything like that? I figure the dealer has a standard preparation for used cars where they would detail it anyway before getting ready to sell. I'd definitely clean it and vacuum it etc, just not sure it's worth the full detail I would do for a private sale.

Any other thoughts or considerations? I have all maintenance records which I plan to provide to the buyer, but I'm guessing the dealer could pull that up since I have had it all done at a different Subaru dealer (other than an odd oil change or 2.)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Trade in won't be anywhere close to what you will get privately as they have to give some sort of warranty on it as well as detailing and servicing etc.
If the US is anything like Australia atm, then selling privately is the only real option due to prices being so high due to the severe short supply of new cars that have pushed the prices up.

I was going to trade in my current car on the BRZ I have on order but they couldn't offer anything close.
Trade in was at $28K and privately I could get $35K. I ended up selling it to a friend. He takes delivery when I get mine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trade in won't be anywhere close to what you will get privately as they have to give some sort of warranty on it as well as detailing and servicing etc.
If the US is anything like Australia atm, then selling privately is the only real option due to prices being so high due to the severe short supply of new cars that have pushed the prices up.

I was going to trade in my current car on the BRZ I have on order but they couldn't offer anything close.
Trade in was at $28K and privately I could get $35K. I ended up selling it to a friend. He takes delivery when I get mine.
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, trade here definitely won't be nearly as much as private sale, but with the tax savings from trading it in (in Colorado, the trade in price will reduce the taxable purchase price of the new car) I can take a bit of a hit and still break even. I'll also factor in the hassle of selling privately.

In the US, dealers can sell used cars 'as-is' without any warranty. On newer cars, they will often do a 'certified pre-owned' thing, but that's unlikely for a 12 year old car. Maybe they'll give like 30 days warranty or something. Service was just performed by my local Subaru dealer, so they wouldn't have to do much in that regard, and they have a 'trusted' source for those records. If they can get within $2k or so of what I could get privately, I'll probably go for it. I'll also negotiate with them in terms of other stuff like whether I finance with them vs. pay cash (I'd pay off the loan almost immediately, but they don't need to know that,) promise to get all service done there vs the dealer that is slightly closer to me, buy 4 new snow tires from them vs. the tire shop I usually go to, etc. We'll see.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should mention that the dealer I normally go to offered to buy it outright for $11k, even without me buying the new car from them. Not sure how much wiggle room there would be for the dealer I'm actually buying the new car from, but I figure I could sell it privately for $15-16K

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get a quote from Carmax as that was the place that gave me the highest offer on my last car and then take that to your dealer and see if they can match or beat it, if it is a price you want. They offered me $6k over what I paid new for a 2 year old vehicle.
Good idea. I had done an online quote many months ago that was ridiculously low (like an offer of $5K or something,) but I just submitted a new one and they want to see it in person, so I guess I'll go down there tomorrow and see what they say.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've only traded in cars that were high-mile junkers, e.g. rusty, rain leaking into the interior, slipping automatic, etc. If the car is otherwise a good, serviceable used car I would repair anything that would scare away buyers or give them haggling room and then sell it privately on FB Marketplace. It's a great time to sell privately. I just sold a clean, well-running '09 Mazda3 hatchback and I had to use a broom handle to beat back the buyers clamoring to give me their money. The key is to give the car a good wash and shine, vacuum and detail the interior, remove all your personal junk from it, throw a little tire shine on the rubber, and take some decent pictures at twilight with a neutral background like a building. Then write a clear, honest, informative ad.

I don't know what your total sales tax is where you are located. I looked it up for Colorado and there is a state tax of 2.9% but there can also be county tax up to 5% and locality tax up to 8%!! If you're in that stratosphere then I can see the appeal of knocking off tax with a trade-in!

Reactions: funk-n-stein

·
Registered
763 Posts
The used car market is crazy right now, especially for pickups and sports cars. I am trading in my '17 BRZ for a '22. I normally never trade-in because I figure that I lose around $2000 as compared to a private sale. But it would seem that my car has experienced zero depreciation in the last two years and that my dealer is desperate to have it...

When I went to see the new BRZ earlier this month, I wasn't expecting to buy. It was merely a fact-gathering mission. The salesman asked me what I thought my car was worth. I said that I had seen some surprisingly-high private-sale prices for '17's (like $21K CAD) but that I didn't expect more than $18K from a dealer. He talked me into handing him the keys (even though I insisted that it was very dirty), and 10 minutes later he offers $21K for my low-mileage base model against a new car with $1K off MSRP ("loyalty discount"). Since there is 15% tax here on the new car, that $21K is really $24K! (So I am paying $11K in total for a new base model). As if that wasn't enough, he said that the offer was good until the new car arrives in March. In other words, I can keep driving the old one for free. And of course, I can back out anytime and get my $500 deposit back. I had to think about this deal all of 30 seconds! I was so stunned that I didn't even bother making a counter offer - which is another first for me.

So bottom line, these are funny times. In this particular case, I am not sure at all that I could get more out of a private sale! Especially if you factor in the hassle of advertising it, showing it, negotiating, and running to the DMV to transfer the title.

Anyways, I don't know whether older WRX's are in as much demand, but I am thinking that you may be pleasantly surprised too if you trade-in against a new BRZ now!

Cheers!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Great story, @Lou! My buddy impulsively bought a leftover 2018 F-150 for USD $40k in mid-2020. Drove it 10k miles, sold it to a dealer in mid-2021 for...$40k. Crazy times.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Track Bred Premium MT
772 Posts

My BRZ is supposed to be here on Jan 1st. I currently driving a 2010 WRX that I have owned since new. I have never traded in a car before (have always sold privately) and was wondering if anyone had any advice? I definitely will only trade it if they give me an offer that would be roughly in line with what I could get privately minus the tax savings I will get by trading it in (my total tax on the BRZ is gonna be about $3k.)

My big question right now is whether I should replace the windshield. Like most Colorado cars that have been driven in the mountains, it has some cracks. The cracks are only on the passenger side and don't interfere with the view from the driver's perspective (I usually forget that they are even there.) They are long enough, however, that they are probably beyond what a windshield repair could do. The cost to replace the windshield is $540. My insurance would pay for it, but I have a $500 deductible so it's not worth going that route and possibly increasing my premiums just to save $40.

I guess I'm wondering if it would make a big enough difference in trade-in price to make it worth the hassle to get it fixed? If I end up selling it privately I'd probably just discount the asking price a bit to compensate for the windshield repair and let the buyer decide if they want it fixed or not (like I said, the cracks don't interfere with driving at all.) I am pretty sure it will sell quickly due to the crazy market right now and the fact that for a 2010 it only has 77K miles and is in great condition overall (it's also a hatchback which is more desirable in CO for a WRX.)

Also, should I get it detailed or anything like that? I figure the dealer has a standard preparation for used cars where they would detail it anyway before getting ready to sell. I'd definitely clean it and vacuum it etc, just not sure it's worth the full detail I would do for a private sale.

Any other thoughts or considerations? I have all maintenance records which I plan to provide to the buyer, but I'm guessing the dealer could pull that up since I have had it all done at a different Subaru dealer (other than an odd oil change or 2.)

Thanks in advance!
Try Carvana. You may be surprised. Don’t waste your money detailing it. Just do a regular wash. Make sure its clean inside. I’ve never sold a car privately. I didn’t want some stranger coming to my house. Plus, people will make appointments and then not show up. DO NOT accept a personal check. Tell them you want a bank (cashier’s) check

·
Registered
226 Posts
The used car market is crazy right now, especially for pickups and sports cars. I am trading in my '17 BRZ for a '22. I normally never trade-in because I figure that I lose around $2000 as compared to a private sale. But it would seem that my car has experienced zero depreciation in the last two years and that my dealer is desperate to have it...

When I went to see the new BRZ earlier this month, I wasn't expecting to buy. It was merely a fact-gathering mission. The salesman asked me what I thought my car was worth. I said that I had seen some surprisingly-high private-sale prices for '17's (like $21K CAD) but that I didn't expect more than $18K from a dealer. He talked me into handing him the keys (even though I insisted that it was very dirty), and 10 minutes later he offers $21K for my low-mileage base model against a new car with $1K off MSRP ("loyalty discount"). Since there is 15% tax here on the new car, that $21K is really $24K! (So I am paying $11K in total for a new base model). As if that wasn't enough, he said that the offer was good until the new car arrives in March. In other words, I can keep driving the old one for free. And of course, I can back out anytime and get my $500 deposit back. I had to think about this deal all of 30 seconds! I was so stunned that I didn't even bother making a counter offer - which is another first for me.

So bottom line, these are funny times. In this particular case, I am not sure at all that I could get more out of a private sale! Especially if you factor in the hassle of advertising it, showing it, negotiating, and running to the DMV to transfer the title.

Anyways, I don't know whether older WRX's are in as much demand, but I am thinking that you may be pleasantly surprised too if you trade-in against a new BRZ now!

Cheers!
Here's to hoping my 2017 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback turns out to be a similar story.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I believe Colorado gives you a tax credit for trade-ins. So if your WRX is worth $10k and your BRZ is $30k, you only pay tax on the difference ... $20k.

I would do this:
1. Get the windshield fixed, cheaply. I dunno what it is about WRXs and STIs but the windshields suck, particularly on the STI (features list says "extra lightweight windshield or some nonsense). You can probably get it done for $200-300.

2. A few days before going to your dealer to get your BRZ, get online quotes from Vroom, Carmax, Carvana, Givemethevin, and Autonation.com, shouldn't take you more than 30min to do all of the above

3. See how much your dealer will give you for the trade. Generally, they'll low ball you, you can show them your other quotes, and also factor in the tax credit difference (might save $500-$1k in taxes). If the dealer comes close, I would just give it to them vs. adding more complexity. CarMax and Autonation are great to work with, if the dealer won't budget, just take your car there and they should honor the quote and cut you a check on the spot ... i've used both. I believe Carvana will cut a check on pickup (never used them) and Vroom picks up your car and sends a check by courier a few days later.

The used car market is nuts right now (in a good way). I would NOT bother trying to sell privately. I tried selling my 3 year old STI a few years ago, priced it very attractively ... lots of test-pilots, people who weren't sure if they'd qualify for financing, etc. Get the highest quote from the services above, see how close the dealer will come, otherwise just sell it to CarMax, Carvana, etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Cheers!
Wow, that's awesome! I've heard lots of similar stories for newer cars like that. Right now it's hard to find comps for a 2010 WRX anywhere near my low mileage or not obviously abused. CarMax does have some non-WRX imprezzas listed that are a couple years newer, but have higher mileage (and obviously are not WRX) for $16-17K, so hopefully they'll give me a good offer today that I can then take to my dealer and see if they'll get close in a trade.

Total taxes are going to be about $3k, so it would be nice to knock that down some.

I also just had a co-worker text me as well to ask about it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wow, that's awesome! I've heard lots of similar stories for newer cars like that. Right now it's hard to find comps for a 2010 WRX anywhere near my low mileage or not obviously abused. CarMax does have some non-WRX imprezzas listed that are a couple years newer, but have higher mileage (and obviously are not WRX) for $16-17K, so hopefully they'll give me a good offer today that I can then take to my dealer and see if they'll get close in a trade.

Total taxes are going to be about $3k, so it would be nice to knock that down some.

I also just had a co-worker text me as well to ask about it.
Run the prices online for all the services. If CarMax needs you to bring it in, you can either go in or call them and they’ll get you to take photos etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Try Carvana. You may be surprised. Don’t waste your money detailing it. Just do a regular wash. Make sure its clean inside. I’ve never sold a car privately. I didn’t want some stranger coming to my house. Plus, people will make appointments and then not show up. DO NOT accept a personal check. Tell them you want a bank (cashier’s) check
Yeah, it was Carvana that gave me a quote several months ago for something like $6k (I had thought it was carmax above, but I had forgotten.) I think they are more interested in newer cars (even if they have higher miles on them.) Maybe they've changed their tune since then, but I have an appt with CarMax today, so hopefully I'll get a good data point then.

I've sold several cars privately, but nothing worth as much. I'd insist on doing this transaction at their bank.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe Colorado gives you a tax credit for trade-ins. So if your WRX is worth $10k and your BRZ is $30k, you only pay tax on the difference ... $20k.

I would do this:
1. Get the windshield fixed, cheaply. I dunno what it is about WRXs and STIs but the windshields suck, particularly on the STI (features list says "extra lightweight windshield or some nonsense). You can probably get it done for $200-300.

2. A few days before going to your dealer to get your BRZ, get online quotes from Vroom, Carmax, Carvana, Givemethevin, and Autonation.com, shouldn't take you more than 30min to do all of the above

3. See how much your dealer will give you for the trade. Generally, they'll low ball you, you can show them your other quotes, and also factor in the tax credit difference (might save $500-$1k in taxes). If the dealer comes close, I would just give it to them vs. adding more complexity. CarMax and Autonation are great to work with, if the dealer won't budget, just take your car there and they should honor the quote and cut you a check on the spot ... i've used both. I believe Carvana will cut a check on pickup (never used them) and Vroom picks up your car and sends a check by courier a few days later.

The used car market is nuts right now (in a good way). I would NOT bother trying to sell privately. I tried selling my 3 year old STI a few years ago, priced it very attractively ... lots of test-pilots, people who weren't sure if they'd qualify for financing, etc. Get the highest quote from the services above, see how close the dealer will come, otherwise just sell it to CarMax, Carvana, etc.
You are correct about the tax benefit to trading in Colorado. What you have listed is basically my plan as of now. I have an appt to take the car to CarMax for them to look at it today.

I have a co-worker who is also interested and she already said she'd buy it for $16 if she and her husband like it. I'd sell it to her for $15k though.

I got an estimate for the windshield. It was $540. I have the 'winter' package with the heated elements for the wipers, so that bumps the cost up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You are correct about the tax benefit to trading in Colorado. What you have listed is basically my plan as of now. I have an appt to take the car to CarMax for them to look at it today.

I have a co-worker who is also interested and she already said she'd buy it for $16 if she and her husband like it. I'd sell it to her for $15k though.

I got an estimate for the windshield. It was $540. I have the 'winter' package with the heated elements for the wipers, so that bumps the cost up.
We just sold my FIL’s Accord and got quotes between $21k (Vroom) and $26.5k (CarMax), so it’s worth doing all the online services to see where you land. My SIL had a good experience with Autonation when she sold her high mileage older Forester.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, Colorado is the 'mile-high' state and all, but I definitely want in on whatever the CarMax guys are smoking. They offered me $8k! :rolleyes:
Meanwhile, they have regular imprezzas with higher mileage than my car listed for $16k+ (some are a couple years newer than mine, but nothing significantly different in terms of design/features for the model.)
I think CarMax just doesn't really like dealing with 'older' cars. 2010 is the earliest date you can search for on their site.
I'll see what the dealer I'm buying the BRZ from offers in terms of trade, but it's looking like I'm gonna go with a private sale. Just was hoping not to have to deal with it.
Thanks for all the feedback and advice!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts