Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Base MT Halo White
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I figured I'd start this since I bought it with the intention of modding. I owned a '13 FRS in White back when they originally came out and loved it. I kept it for about 3 years, and just loved the balance of the car. The moment I heard that it was getting a redesign and second GEN I knew i was going to be onboard. I've been a massive Keiichi Tsuchiya fan for decades and even longer for Initial D. It was a close call between buying another S2000, this, or a new ND Miata which I absolutely love. Ultimately settled on this because it is already a coupe and it has no sunroof. Plans for the car are very mild exterior mods such as a lip kit and functional rear difusser to keep parachuting down to a minimum (plus it makes the car look aggressive)... I will be gutting most of the interior for weight reduction and installing a Recaro Pro Racer 2700g seat in FRP (carbon fiber costs too much). I'll most likely replace the brake fluid with Motul high temp stuff and upgrade the pads and rotors at some point. I am an impulse car buyer and often get in and out of cars within a few months. There are a few exceptions: I love Fiat 500 Abarths, my FRS which I owned for 3 years before selling, and if I could afford one I would keep a 92-97 NSX for the rest of my life. Nice to meet you all. Hope to meet you in person some day at the dragon for some mountain shenanigans.
Wheel Cloud Tire Sky Car

Wheel Sky Tire Cloud Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Cloud

Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window
Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So, now that we know each other a bit better, here is a list of Mods currently on the GR86:
Coilovers: Tein Flex Z (16 way dampening adjustment / independent height adjustment) comes with camber plates up front / pillow ball mounts and preloaded from the factory in Japan.
Wheels: Enkei RPF1 in Silver 17x9 +35 offset 5x100 (don't forget your hub-centric rings)
Tires: Toyo R888R 245 / 40 / 17
15% tint all around (not on the windshield) Limo eyebrow on the windshield

Mods not on the car yet that have been purchased:
Tomei 60R Titanium catback exhaust system. This system shaves nearly 40 pounds from the car.
Titanium open ended Lug Nuts in M12x1.25 27mm tall (about 16g each) more unsprung weight savings
OEM Subaru Aluminum Pedal Covers (clutch / brake -- thanks BlipBlorp)
Cusco Heel Toe Aluminum Accelerator Pedal
Tomei Duracon 70mm shift knob
TRD Duckbill in white

Coilovers installed (factory specs) nothing touched aside from putting them on the car.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Stock:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I removed these today and wanted to share what a pain in the ass it was. Take your time use plenty of heat and don't be as pushy as I was. I'm gonna need a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of PDR on my passenger side since I got a bit pushy with the fender. These bitches are really stuck on there from the dock install. Once you have heated them up do not pry from the bottom - pry from the top corner where the "R" is and gently / steadily work your way down. If you pry from the bottom you will scratch the paint on your fenders and likely bend them as well. The picture below the fender trim is the OEM TPMS sensors in our cars. I had my buddy take a picture when we removed the stock wheels because I was planning on transferring them to the RPF1s but I needed valve stems that I didn't have at the shop at the time. If anyone works for Toyota can tell me what the actual part number is for this sensor I would greatly appreciate it. There's like 6 sets of serials on there. I am not sure if the BRZ runs the exact same sensor so I figured I'd ask. If anyone wants these stupid Fender things they are yours... pay for shipping and I'll send them your way... you'll need new tape that's it. My car looks a million times better without them. I'll post some pictures once the weather is not shitty.
Sleeve Automotive exterior Everyday carry Bag Utility knife

Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Track bRed MT
208 Posts
Those changes look fantastic and probably make it handle even better! Can't wait to see some updated pics with the duckbill installed and those fender things removed.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks great, cannot beat RPF1's. Do you have any more photos of the fitment as 9j ET35 is supposed to be an aggressive fitment on this car.
I'll post a few shitty pictures later tonight. Fitment is pretty aggressive but I set the suspension on full hard last night and it is still milder than the OEM dampening. However, now the car doesn't squat as hard in the rear so the rubbing is pretty much gone.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yesssss definitely post a sound video! I'd love to hear a cold start and warm revs/drive by. I would definitely consider a tomei single exit but worried it'd be too loud on cold start.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will post pictures in a bit. Videos will have to wait a day or two. The installation was so fast and easy that the car didn't have a chance to cool down properly for a cold start. The clearance is tight for sure, and the rear bumper will need a bit of gold tape to prevent any melting. I am so freaking excited. I can't wait to get the front pipe on as soon as someone has it in stock. it's gonna sound awesome. It's a bit too quiet for my tastes right now.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's quiet? That's surprising!
Weeeeell, I guess that's relative... I like straight piped everything with no interior... I'm also a drummer with partial hearing loss in my left ear. This system sounds a bit mild, to me, right now because both cats and the front resonator are still on there. The front pipe will take care of 2/3 of that.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks good, how much was that piece?
...around $1100 after tax and shipping. I think it's a bargain considering the full titanium construction and the quality of the product. What the pictures don't show you is just how insanely light this is.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts