Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, don’t dis me too much, it’s a joke. With all the reviews calling the BRZ a Japanese Porsche, I put on a front license plate from Stuttgart Germany. It may be a joke that only I get. I’ll probably take it off and put on the pegboard as “garage art”. So, what say you? Leave it on or take it off?
Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Tire Grille
Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Tire Grille

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well-I've always thought of the 2022 BRZ as a Japanese reincarnation of the Porsche 944. Further you have the Ice Silver Metallic(which is what I ordered). I think that color kind of mimics the style feeling of a Porsche as well. In my opinion the license plate looks great!

·
Registered
501 Posts
To elaborate further. The front headlamp shape is not too dissimilar to a current Boxster/Cayman and Panamera. The creases in the front hood echo the creases in a 911/Panamera. When you sit in the car you can see the 2 front fender bulges. From the side profile you can see that the fenders come out flat a bit like they do on a 911. That's a 911/Boxster Cayman trait. Don't kid yourself. Nothing here is an exact copy for obvious reasons. However, this is a deliberate styling cue from Stuttgart

·
Registered
501 Posts
Here is another interesting tidbit. Do a Wikipedia on the dimensions of the original 911, the 911 SC, the 944 and the original Boxster. While not exact you may find that the BRZ/GR86 dimensions are pretty close. Further with exception of the Boxster Cayman, all the cars are 2 Plus2. The 911 and even the 356 pioneered the idea of the practical sportscar that could be used as both a sports car and a daily driver. It could be "loosely" argued that the FA 24 engine follows the same concept for reason of use for its compactness and low center of gravity as determined with their flat four and flat six engines.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Porsche should offer an entry-level $30k 4-cylinder boxer RWD coupe to introduce buyers to the brand.

I think I'd put a Rising Sun on the front to advertise who figured out the correct formula...and by omission, who didn't.

Reactions: Midnightsky

·
Registered
2022 BRZ, Ice Silver, MT, Limited
236 Posts
Porsche should offer an entry-level $30k 4-cylinder boxer RWD coupe to introduce buyers to the brand.
Should they though? I always felt that the higher end brands should just stay high end. I remember a Ferrari exec once saying that an "entry level" Ferrari is simply a used one. Same thing here. Whenever the high end brands try out an basic, cheaper car they tend to be bad & generally looked down upon. In this case, just buy a BRZ, like I did. Theres your entry level P-Car. :)

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Haha, not a fan of front plates - but pretty neat.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I read a long article once about the Japanese sending their engineers for training to Germany in the 1960s. They were sent to BMW, Mercedes and Porsche, maybe also Auto Union/Audi. The Toyota and Nissan guys went to BMW and Mercedes if I recall correctly. The Subaru engineers all ended up training at Porsche, and that's basically why Subaru started using boxer engines after their experience there. I tried finding the article, but it was published by some I believe now defunct Subaru tuner, and I couldn't find it -- I read it probably 15 years ago. In any event, there is more than a casual connection between Subaru and Porsche. Your use of the German plates is justified!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Should they though? I always felt that the higher end brands should just stay high end. I remember a Ferrari exec once saying that an "entry level" Ferrari is simply a used one. Same thing here. Whenever the high end brands try out an basic, cheaper car they tend to be bad & generally looked down upon. In this case, just buy a BRZ, like I did. Theres your entry level P-Car. :)
You have a good point. German car companies can do "good & expensive" but they have a hard time with "good & affordable". They usually end up with "crappy & cheap" whenever they try to make something "good & affordable".

·
Registered
404 Posts
I agree Lou; the F-Type was the first car that came to mind when I first saw the GR86. The F-Type is a little more rounded and sensual I suppose, but the large grille opening, the fastback coupe styling, and the general stance and proportions are there. The front fender bulges and even the headlights on the GR86 do remind me of the newer Porsche Cayman/Boxster. I think the GR86s styling is somewhat derivative, but is very well done nevertheless.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ, Ice Silver, MT, Limited
236 Posts
You have a good point. German car companies can do "good & expensive" but they have a hard time with "good & affordable". They usually end up with "crappy & cheap" whenever they try to make something "good & affordable".
Yeah - it just doesnt work. Germans & others have had issues with this too. I remember when Jaguar tried the X-Type for an entry level Jag and that was sort of a farce. Mercedes tried it too(forget model), as did others and none of the cars are memorable or were ever that good. When you're good at something, you stick with that. Again - Ferrari got it right: They werent getting anywhere near a cheap, entry level car. Yo want a cheaper Ferrari? Try the classifieds! :).

The fact that the BRZ is being compared with cars that cost 3x and 4x as much puts a grin on my face though, lol. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts